Different Standards for "IRL" Friends?

Options
A few months ago, one of my real life friends joined MFP. She seemed like she was all into it...

for like 3 days. Then she disappeared.

Then she'd log in. Then she'd disappear. Her diary was all over the place when she did log.

Then she didn't log in for like 11 days.

I have a pretty set rule that if you haven't logged in for 7 days (unless I know you're going on vacation or something), then I will just take you off. So I deleted her. That was about a month ago.

She texts me today and asks me if I deleted her. I told her yes I did, but it was nothing personal. I would do it to anyone because to me, it didn't seem like she was dedicated and we didn't have similar goals.

She friggin' blew up at me and got real nasty. I wasn't attacking her. I was simply telling her my opinion and that I would have done it to anyone.

To me, MFP is more than just a calorie counter. It's a whole system like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig, or for people like myself who struggle with food addiction, something like Overeaters Anonymous or even Alcoholics Anonymous. If I wasn't using MFP, I sincerely doubt I'd have made it as far as I did. I need active friends who can help me and I can help them be accountable.

So because she's a "real life" friend should I have just let it go and kept her on even though she's just wasting my space?

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well, trying to say this nicely as possible.

I would not think of any instance(even MFP) where I could consider a real life friend somebody I cared about to be "wasting my space".
    That said, do what you please. If she's never here she may not care.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't delete anyone for not logging in. There's Just no telling what's going on in their life. I have friends that log in sporadically and I'm always happy to see them back. When I first started I wasn't as dedicated as I am now, I hope they'll come around and I'll be there for support when they do. I can see why she was offended!
  • shellisugar
    shellisugar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have an IRL friend who hasn't logged in in over a month. I have zero plans of deleting her.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Yup I invited a RL friend here. He logged for like 2 weeks consistently and then I ended up deleting him after like 2 months of not logging. Anyone else woulda been gone after a week (unless they say a reason why they're MIA)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have real life friends that haven't logged in to MFP for a year, I haven't deleted them yet.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

I would not think of any instance(even MFP) where I could consider a real life friend somebody I cared about to be "wasting my space".

She's the kind of person who is only your friend when she wants something.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    I wouldn't delete anyone for not logging in. There's Just no telling what's going on in their life. I have friends that log in sporadically and I'm always happy to see them back. When I first started I wasn't as dedicated as I am now, I hope they'll come around and I'll be there for support when they do. I can see why she was offended!

If she's ready to come around and be dedicated, she can re-add me and I will be there to support her.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

Ooooh, then you're probably better off then.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    being as my BFF logs regularly this would never be an issue for me but even if she was sporadic I probably would have left her, but I would have given her a REALLY hard time (jokingly of course) about not being serious and about how she was going to get deleted.

I do have a 30 day rule - that gets you kicked out of my list if you do not log in for 30 days (one person is exempt from this), but I am pretty picky with my friends so I rarely end up deleting anyone for not logging in I tend to look at it like this - I do not delete my IRL friends if I don't hear from them in 7 days why would I do that to my friends on MFP?
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I deleted a "real life" friend. And I use friend very lightly. She hasn't logged in for a couple months and I hate seeing those red letters. I'm a little OCD though too. I feel like my MFP friends and I should be moving in the right direction with the same goal.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Well, in real life, I have friends that I don't speak to for months... but they don't stop being my friends... Here, I chat and joke and try my best to support folks, and hope that their intent is to do the same... but in the grand scheme of things, if they fade away... then I don't stress it. Because we're not friends IRL, I don't know what you're going through or why you haven't been around. if you pick it back up, then hey... I'm down to support you again... if not, then not... if my 'real' friends 'disappeared,' I would likely reach out to them to see how they were... 'cause, you know... they're my 'friends'... but since here all of my friends are 'virtual'... and I know nothing more than what they tell me, I leave them be...
  • oregonzoo
    Options

Ahh I have a friend like that. And honestly, I try not to think too long and hard about her. Sorry she got on you, especially since she's never here. Sounds like you are better off.
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    Well, in real life, I have friends that I don't speak to for months... but they don't stop being my friends... Here, I chat and joke and try my best to support folks, and hope that their intent is to do the same... but in the grand scheme of things, if they fade away... then I don't stress it. Because we're not friends IRL, I don't know what you're going through or why you haven't been around. if you pick it back up, then hey... I'm down to support you again... if not, then not... if my 'real' friends 'disappeared,' I would likely reach out to them to see how they were... 'cause, you know... they're my 'friends'... but since here all of my friends are 'virtual'... and I know nothing more than what they tell me, I leave them be...
    My best friend in Texas... I last spoke with her in December. I love the woman dearly, but we're busy. Whenever we do talk it's like we never stopped.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I deleted my Mom
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My real life friend actually introduced me to this site and then stopped using it. I deleted her but she doesn't even know since she doesn't go on it. She wouldn't care though.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    meh...i deleted one of my best friends, and my sister....they hadnt logged on in like a month. My friend logged back on and said HEY! and i re added her. Shouldnt be any need for drama.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I have one IRL friend on here and she's the one that got me here (hi Jess!) she gets a pass. But really - she's never needed it cause she's awesome like that.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Is it such a big deal that you had to delete her? It's so petty. I don't get why you had to delete her. Maybe if you didn't know her in real life. But you didn't think she wouldn't notice? I would take it personally if I knew the person personally.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options

Ahh I have a friend like that. And honestly, I try not to think too long and hard about her. Sorry she got on you, especially since she's never here. Sounds like you are better off.

She is a really nice girl and we get along really well, but every time I want to do something with her she's always "so busy." I know for a fact she's not AND she makes her own hours for work. I guess smoking a bunch of weed and diddling yourself is far more important. Funny enough... I NEVER initiate contact with her. She's the one that always messages me first.
  • oregonzoo
    Options

She is a really nice girl and we get along really well, but every time I want to do something with her she's always "so busy." I know for a fact she's not AND she makes her own hours for work. I guess smoking a bunch of weed and diddling yourself is far more important. Funny enough... I NEVER initiate contact with her. She's the one that always messages me first.
    My maid of honor is quite like that. I'm a very forgiving person! lol