Stick-to-it-ive-ness?

Options
Not sure what to deem it, but I am having a hard time 'sticking' to it.

I have a long history of dieting (which I no longer call my health plans). Diet to me is the 'food' we eat in general. Going on a Diet? That means Going to eat food! lol

What I am struggling with right now is the 'up' and ,down, going on with my scale. I guess I am really just maintaining. I haven't fully committed to the process this time.

I am gradually working into it. Maybe this time I won't be gung-ho and just be 'good' all of the time. Maybe I have to allow myself to indulge here and there.

Yesterday, I made the decision to start taking Wellbutrin.
After a long (yet short) year on maternity leave after having my daughter, I am still not fully functioning. I don't think I was pre-pregnancy either, but I wasn't about to embark on starting any type of depression meds.

I have a lot to lose. Not just the weight. How can I find my committment?

I keep reading posts, magazines, searching on-line, looking at my daughter, and my life but can't seem to make the connection.

Thanks for listening to me carry on!

~ k

Replies

• tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet, it is a lifestyle change....change one thing at a time...realize that you will have ups and downs. It is a day to day struggle for most of us. Friend me if you like.
  • Kit_Kat1213
    Options
    I completely agree... That, I think in part, is why finding the committment is that much harder.
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet, it is a lifestyle change....change one thing at a time...realize that you will have ups and downs. It is a day to day struggle for most of us. Friend me if you like.

Exactly. Lifestyle change. We all love food, and 99% of us on here have a food addiction. There are ways to find a balance. I exercise more so I can eat more, and it has the added benefit of getting me in fantastic shape. I have never felt better in my life, and am now at the point where I quite often treat myself to high calorie things because the exercise makes me keep losing weight.

As for your commitment: try it for a month. Stay under the MFP calories EVERY day for one month, then weigh yourself. Don't do it in between, wait one month. The result will convince you to make the commitment, guaranteed.

Anyone can do this. :)
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Unfortunately IMO, you have to be set in your mind and your heart to do it..just sayin'. I had to really go "deep" with myself to get to where I am today... Best of Luck to you to find your way. :)
  • slb2471
    slb2471 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My advice is to take it one day a time, literally! Give yourself credit for every ounce you lose and dont beat yourself up for anything you gain. As women our weight fluctuates all the time, this I have to keep reminding myself too. Sometimes I feel that as long as we are eating healhlthy, staying active, our weight will settle naturally.... Good Luck, I know you can do this...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Realize that you need to give the Wellbutrin some time to work. Once your depression eases, you may find your "gumption" at a bit higher level. Realize that you are working towards a healthy lifestyle. The weight is only part of that equation. You need to be emotionally healthy. Your daughter needs a mom who is wholly present physically AND emotionally. You WILL be able to do this. Just make it through today. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Each day will be one more step forward!!!
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I have tryied diets of all types and they never work... this is no diet, it is a new way of life I can enjoy everything I have ever loved about food and still lose the weight. This site has tought me that food is my friend and I will not abuse my friend.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    as much as it sucks to say or hear this, it has to really come from within. eventually you'll get fed up enough with being out of breath tying your shoe laces, or not being able to even attempt yoga poses because your gut is in the way, or be tired of getting winded from 3 flights of stairs, or pretending you're "you" in the mirror when you barely even recognize yourself. eventually you'll look that stranger in the mirror in the eyes and be like "i'm done with you" and get right to it. a lot of us have had that breaking point where we can no longer stand it and we go berserk and work hard to try to accomplish this. it'll happen for you. in the meantime, keep up the logging and maintaining until you feel ready to really commit.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It's about what is going on internally more than externally. Think about the acronym GROW. The G is the Goal setting phase. You are already there. Set your goal. Make sure your goal is realistic, doable, challenging, timeable, and measurable. The R is reality. This is the part where you need to really look deep. Examine the reality of your situation. What actions have you taken so far? What have been your set backs? What are your blocks? What is limiting you from progress? O is opportunity. Now that you know what your blocks and obstacles are.. what options do you have to overcome them? This is a place to make a list of your strengths. This is also a place to evaluate what is most important to you. Number your goals on a scale of 1-10 and pick what is most important to you and make a decision to start there. So, if that means logging your food everyday.. start by just logging your food everyday. Once you have that down, move to the second thing on your list, which might be limiting your calories to 1700 a day or taking a walk 3 days a week. The W is wrap up. This is where you put it all together. Decide exactly what you are going to do, the who, what, where, why, and when. Make your plan and walk it out.

Remember that reevaluating and switching things up is ok and sometimes necessary. If your original plan is not achieving your goal, switch up the plan. If your plan is exceeding your goals, switch up your goals.

Hope this helps. Be Encouraged!!

Hezz
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    I've decided that this is a lifestyle not a diet plan. It's the only way i will break the bad habits that got me to the weight im at. We only get one chance at life and most of us want to live life to its fullest. We can't do that once we develop chronic conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure and diabites. Also studies show that cardio and strength training help to prevent arthritis and osteoporosis as we age. In general the more active you are the better your emotional well being will be. So there's more to health then just our weight. If you look at lifestyle change as a gift to yourself which will help you be a better mother, wife and friend maybe it will give you the stick to it mentality you are seeking!!
  • Maccbow
    Maccbow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try little steps at a time, but make them GOOD steps. For instance, for breakfast & lunch I used to "grab whatever I can, and go." This made for extremely poor choices. I decided that I would prepare my food ahead of time. It IS extra work for me, but I find that when I go through all that trouble, it makes me NOT want to eat the junk that presents itself day after day. Now, granted, I make the easiest thing possible for me, as I hate cooking etc... But, I am TEACHING myself to prepare my food. When I get very good at this, and it becomes a part of my routine, then I will work on making even better meals that are even more helpful and healthful. So, for now, I am cutting myself a break. I eat healthy, but I'm making it as easy as I can until I settle into this.

Another thing you may want to try is to make yourself a constant list of the Benefits that you will attain when you achieve weight loss. If you keep adding to your list, and you keep a lot of it memorized, then when temptation hits, you can pull out your list and use it as a defence. Keep adding to your list, and keep on reviewing it faithfully!! It REALLY helps you to focus at the times when you need it!
  • Kit_Kat1213
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Definitely going to take examples to apply to my plan.

I am s-l-o-w-l-y getting there again.

This time is so different than 10 years ago when I lost 130. I am also 100lbs more than I was last time I started too. Wow, how the heck did that happen?! Sheesh.

I think what feels different, is my body itself. Going through the pregnancy just makes your body feel like it isn't yours anymore.

Reclaiming myself is what needs to happen.

Its the how part I struggle with.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The word is adherence.
  • sandygaylegunn
    sandygaylegunn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I attended Overeaters Anonymous and that helped me. :heart: Now I am highly committed this this web site, and all these members are supporting and encouraging me. :drinker: I'm inviting you to be a friend. Because I have been where you are so many times, maybe we can help each other.:love:
  • KarinaaD
    KarinaaD Posts: 43
    Options
    I have a lot going on too my friend(: I know it's hard but my friends always tell me: YOU GOT TO WANT IT. but when weeks and months pass by i keep wanting it less and less. Especially with my weight, i see couples looking all cute but when i look at myself i don't feel like i don't deserve to be with anyone because of how i look. i also stress out at school because it seems when i get home, i am tired. I go home, eat, take a nap, wake up, do insanity (my workout), take a shower, and sleep. i feel like i never have time for school so when it comes to an assignment needing to be turned in, im disappointed for not doing it. so when im loosing weight, im also loosing my grade and i cant decide what i prefer so i always give up on both and become this lazy eating monster! so yeahh just wanted to let you know you are not alone but i went more i couldn't help it sorry :3 but yeahh i hope your rollercoaster ends!!!
  • scowil03xx
    scowil03xx Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As a few have said before, it's not really a diet, it is a lifestyle change. All too often we define diet as "a short term eating plan that is followed with the intent of losing weight quickly". Instead, we should define diet as our "lifestyle eating plan". When we define diet as a lifestyle eating plan it is no longer something we "go on" and therefore can "go off" but it becomes the way we choose to eat for a lighter, healthier, and better self. Also, if you are struggling just change one small thing at a time and as you progress change another small thing. Eventually you will be surprised at the things you no longer crave. Good Luck!!!!