Weight loss and Anemia

Options
I have been anemic pretty much my whole life. I have noticed since losing weight that my anemia has gotten worse. Does anyone have any ideas on why this is and other ideas on how to handle it. I already take an over the counter medication and eat cereals that are high in iron as well as an occasional container of liver to combat it. Is there anything more I could be doing?

Replies

• icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    see your doctor there could be something else that he/she can suggest since it has gotten worse. I've had severe anemia so i suggest that also lentils, watermelon, black beans, liver, broccoli, there are other items also. Hope this helps.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from anemia in the past. Do u take a multi-vitamin? I have taken B12 complex shots weekly before and I think B12 helps with the absorption of iron? Plus, they can give u energy and boost metabolism.:smile:
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Also try adding flaxseed meal or chia seeds to dishes. I use the Red Bob Mill brand (I think I that's the brand).

But check with your doctor so you know how much iron your need per day.
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    are you depriving yourself of iron? it's very important to get iron if you're anemic. make sure you're eating your raw green veggies and lot's of meat (better if it's red meat) i've been tested for anemia before, and luckily i didn't have it. but i do have low iron. maybe also try taking iron supplements?? but yes, you probably should consult your doctor. good luck!
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Also try adding flaxseed meal or chia seeds to dishes. I use the Red Bob Mill brand (I think I that's the brand).

But check with your doctor so you know how much iron your need per day.

Flaxseeds are good for u in several ways. I put ground flaxseed in my smoothies every time.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I was severely anemic. My dr. put me on prescription Iron, and ordered me to triple my OTC one after that prescription (8 weeks) was done.

Taking Vitamin C with Iron will increase your body's absorption of it. My nut and dr. both told me to take a C tablet with it. Here is also a link to reinforce:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5566082_information-vitamin-iron.html

Also, I am on the Seasonale pill to control my T.O.M. Now that I only get it once every 3 months, I'm not having to struggle to stay out of the Anemia zone.

Good luck
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Did you double check the directions? I bought an iron supplement and the directions said take it twice a day when I was only taking it once. Made a huge difference.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have chronic severe anemia due to celeaci disease - i get intravenous iron infusions.

Other things to use are:
    - folic acid (with vitamin C)
    - Kale
    - spinach
    - oysters
    - liver

also try to cut down on coffee/tea amd alcohol which inhibit iron absorption.