Need recipes for soups please!

Options
JessG11
JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
Anyone have some great, lower calorie recipes for soups? I can basically make a turkey chili and that's it. I need some ideas! Thanks!

Replies

• strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    i would like to know this too!!
  • niffermarie03
    Options
    My favorite soup recipe. 109 calories per serving, which is about 1 1/2 cups, It's an awesome fall/winter soup, but I'm from Oregon, so it's a year round soup!

Jenn's Potato Leek Soup

2 large leeks, cleaned, trimmed, and chopped
    1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
    5 cups chicken broth
    1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 potatoes)
    1/2 tsp fresh rosemary
    1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
    Salt

1.In a large soup pot, over medium heat, sauté leeks and onions until soft.
    2.Add broth, potatoes, rosemary, and pepper and bring to a boil.
    3.Turn heat down low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
    4.Using a food processor, blender or stick blender, blend the mixture until smooth. Add salt to desired saltiness
  • mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of soup especially in the fall & winter and I have gotten several excellent recipes from Cooking Light and eatingwell.com (awesome website; didn't like the magazine). Plus what is great is that all the recipes tell serving size and full nutritional content. I tried at least 12 different soups & all were very good.
  • calitravelingal
    Options
    My favorite soup recipe. 109 calories per serving, which is about 1 1/2 cups, It's an awesome fall/winter soup, but I'm from Oregon, so it's a year round soup!

Jenn's Potato Leek Soup

That sounds fantastic!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    try this one
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/lentil-soup-laal-daal-251611

========================================
    This recipe is shared by my sister who learned it from my mother. Unlike most of the curry/soup type recipes, this is a dish I donot recommend eating with rice. You can eat this like soup or eat with bread to make it an entree. Hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:

1 cup red Lentils (These are tiny red colored split lentils, easily available in most stores)
    1 medium onion
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    2-3 green chillies (depending on how hot you want it, you can easily skip it)
    1/4 tsp turmeric powder
    1/2 tsp red chilli powder
    1/2 tsp salt

Ingredients for Tadka (to put on top of the soup)

1 small onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    1/2 tsp cumin seed
    1-2 whole red pepper (The one thats shaped round but any dry WHOLE red pepper will work, DO NOT use pepper flakes)
    1-2 tbsp olive oil

Recipe:

Take the red lentil, add the onions, green chilli, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cook it till the lentils are tender. This kind of lentil cooks faster compared to most, I'd say about 30 minutes. Once the lentils are cooked and tender, you can add salt and tomato puree and cook it for another 5 minues while stirring the soup. Your lentils are technically cooked but for more flavor, you need to add Tadka to it on top. Turn off the soups heat and in another pot (or small fry pan) prepare tadka

Tadka Recipe:
    Heat the olive oil. When its hot, add the chopped onion and chopped garlic. The garlic and onions should be very very thinly sliced, the finer the better. Cook it till the onions and garlic is golden/red color then immediately add the cumin seed and the red pepper. Let the seed and pepper cook for about 15-30 seconds and then dump it all in the soup.

Your delicious soup is ready to be served, you can use some good bread to dip this into and enjoy :)

Estimated nutrition facts (just my own calculations):

For the entire recipe (using 3 tbsp oil)
    Calories: 838
    Fiber: 44 grams
    Carbs: 112 g
    protein: 34g
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of soup especially in the fall & winter and I have gotten several excellent recipes from Cooking Light and eatingwell.com (awesome website; didn't like the magazine). Plus what is great is that all the recipes tell serving size and full nutritional content. I tried at least 12 different soups & all were very good.
    i'm one of those crazies that loves hot soup on hot days.. add the hot sauce to the seafood bisque and I cry... here's one I just did, and if you leave out the quinoa it'll cut about 40 cals per serving..

Recipe name chicken soup with quinoa

Number of servings makes 8 one cup servings..

Ingredients Calories
    Chicken, Breast - Boneless & Skinless, 13.5 oz cooked 375
    Trader Joes - Organic Tri Color Quinoa, 1/2 cup 320
    Fresh - Zucchini (Small), 1.5 small (118g) 29
    Generic - 1 Cherry Tomato, 10 tomato 30
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped 67
    Green - Bell Pepper, 1 cup 30
    Generic - Hot Banana Peppers, 1 - 5" long pepper 20
    Green Giant - Cut Grean Beans, 1 cup 40
    Bell-View - Chicken Flavor Soup Base, 6 tsp 90
    Dried Rosemary - Herb - Dried Rosemary, 1 tsp 3
    Fresh Basil - Basil Leaves, 12.5 g (2oz) 3
    Parsley - Fresh, 2 tbsp 2
    David's - Kosher Salt, 1 1/2 tsp 1.5g
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 1009
    Per Serving: 126
  • jky4kf
    jky4kf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have made this vegetarian split pea soup many times and it is so ridiculously good and easy to make- 167 cal and only 1 gram of fat!

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/01/food/la-fo-sos-splitpeasoup-20120301
  • LarsyRagnhild
    LarsyRagnhild Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Vegetable and lentil soup with spiced yoghurt

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil, add 1 small chopped leek and 2 crushed garlic cloves and cook 4-5 mins, or until soft and lightly golden. Add 2 tsp curry powder, 2 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp garam masala and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.

Add 1 litre vegetable stock, 1 bay leaf (not essential), 1 cup brown lentils and 450 g of butternut pumpkin (cut into 1 cm cubes). Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Season well.

Add 2 diced zucchini, 200g of broccoli florets, 1 small diced carrot and a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes and 500 ml water. Simmer about 10 mins or until the vegetables are tender. Add 80g peas and simmer 2-3 mins.

To make the spiced yoghurt, place 250g thick plain yoghurt, 1 tbsp chopped coriander, 1 crushed garlic clove and 3 dashes of Tabasco sauce in a bowl and combine.

Dollop a spoonful of the yoghurt on each serving of soup and garnish with chopped mint.
  • home4sale2
    Options

Jenn's Potato Leek Soup

2 large leeks, cleaned, trimmed, and chopped
    1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
    5 cups chicken broth
    1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 potatoes)
    1/2 tsp fresh rosemary
    1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
    Salt

1.In a large soup pot, over medium heat, sauté leeks and onions until soft.
    2.Add broth, potatoes, rosemary, and pepper and bring to a boil.
    3.Turn heat down low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
    4.Using a food processor, blender or stick blender, blend the mixture until smooth. Add salt to desired saltiness

Looks like niffermarie beat me to it. I love blending soups. I normally add yellow squash and Mexican (or regular) Zucchini as well if I have it in the fridge. To spice it up, you can always add a bit of cumin and cayenne. This will give the spice from beginning to end (Cayenne in the beginning with the black pepper that is also in there to chase).
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to make this once it gets cooler out....
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/crock-pot-minestrone-soup.html

I also have a recipe for homemade chicken soup with mini meatballs. If you or anyone else wants it, send me a message. I'm not at home right now and don't wanna give the wrong measurements.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I make this at least once a month in my crockpot! Tastes amazing!

Greek style lemon, chicken, rice soup will dill

10 and 1/2 cups no salt added chicken broth (campbell's)
    6 skinless Chicken drumsticks frozen (it was what I had available. Can use 3 whole chicken breasts too)
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1 cup rice (uncooked) (any rice will do. I used jasmine rice)
    10 cloves garlic (diced/mashed)
    1/4 cup Corn flour or any other flour (for thickening)
    a big handful of fresh dill for seasoning
    salt
    pepper
    1-2 tablespoon any other Dash salt free seasoning you like (optional)

Add the broth, chicken, lemon juice, garlic, dill,salt and pepper and seasoning (if using) to the crockpot. Leave on high for 3 hours (if the chicken is frozen, about 4 1/2 hours). After 3 hours, if you use drumsticks like I did, take the chicken out and separate bone from meat, shred the meat with a fork and throw it back into the crockpot. (If you use chicken breasts, remove after 4-5 hours and shred.) Add the rice at this point. Leave it on high for 45 minutes to an hour and then switch it off. Even if the rice is slightly undercooked, its alright. It will continue cooking because the crockpot contents are still very hot. Make a smooth and slightly watery paste with the corn flour and add to the crockpot while constantly stirring. Adjust salt if needed.

Makes about 13 servings of 1 cup each
    1 cup = 125 calories (just 1 cup is also pretty filling)
  • sessygail
    sessygail Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My favorite low fat soup recipe is from the early Weight Watchers 5 ingredients/15 minute cookbook. It is:

Sausage and Black Bean Soup

6 oz. turkey Kielbasa, sliced (I slice mine thin)
    1 cup diced green, red, or yellow bell pepper (I always use red)
    1 14 1/4 oz can fat free, less sodium chicken broth
    1 15 oz can no-salt-added balck beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup picante sauce

Coat a medium saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium high heat until hot. Add sausage, and saute until sausage begins to brown. Add bell pepper, saute one minute. Add the broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; add beans and picante sauce and simmer 5 minutes.

Per the WW cookbook it is 4 servinges, each is 109 calories, 17.1 grams carb, 1.2 grams fat, 3.6 grams fiber, 9.4 grams protein, 15 mg cholesterol, 868 mg sodium, 38 mg calcium and 1.6 mg iron.

Per my husband, it is yummy. Especially good in fall/winter! We always make a double batch.
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The sausage and black bean soup recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting!
  • ncbill
    ncbill Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My Favorite soup

prep
    boil ham bone, ham fat and skin or ham scrap if you have it (alternative is better than bullion ham concentrate), some carrots and onion to get 6-7 cups of ham stock. soak 1 lb of peas overnight

next day
    saute 1 onion with 2tbsp butter
    add oregano, basil and savory and black pepper to taste I also add a tad hungarian paprika and a clove or two of garlic minced
    add stock and peas and cook about 4-5 hours low/medium heat
    when the peas are disintegrating on their own saute about a pound of ham cut into cubes, add just before serving or your soup will become too salty and the ham flavor will leach out

recipe refined and flavored through years of practice OH if you're living bad add a few ounces of half and half at the end. YUMYUM best split pea in the world no joke
  • sessygail
    sessygail Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The sausage and black bean soup recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting!
    It has been a staple on our family menu for 10 years! Add some whole grain pasta too! Yum.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I love soup! I make up all my own soups so it is hard for me to write down a recipe. I make them all by taste. One of these days I will try and write them down to share with everyone. I made vegetable beef barley soup the other day that was really good. Basically I trimmed and cubed a chuck roast. Browned it with onion and garlic. Added caraway seed, oregano, basil, pepper, couple of bay leaves, parsley and a couple of tsp of Better than Beef soup base. Add water and simmer until meat is tender. Then add frozen mixed veges, one large can of crushed tomatoes and more water if needed. While your meat was simmering away cook your barley according to directions on bag. I used a whole bag and saved what I didn't put into the soup to make a barley salad later in the week. When veges are tender and barley is done add as much barley as you want to the soup. I entered all my ingredients into the recipe maker on MFP and it gave me less than 300 calories for two cups of soup! This is a very filling soup. My whole family loved it, even the four year old.
  • FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My sis just sent me this one from weight watchers, for Hot and Sour soup.... When i put it in my recipes it worked out to 58 calories a serving O_0 It is very tasty and good

http://www.weightwatchers.ca/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=55351
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Amazing recipes and links!!!! Thanks so much from me and my fiance'... :smile:
  • tnladyvol
    Options
    bump
  • Alishamarie48879
    Alishamarie48879 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump