Any ideas how to stay full on low carb diet?

Options
I have a problem staying full and have a really big appetite, but I find it really hard to eat carbs because they make me feel really bloated and it doesn't help that I have IBS!

Replies

• dubbyah
    dubbyah Posts: 2
    Options
    You might want to try a cleanse...try Isagenix, it'll shrink your stomach
  • robyngrow1
    Options
    Hi K,

It is very hard to figure out which foods fill you up & help to keep you full:) Here are some facts about filling foods;

stay away from dry foods like pretzels, crackers and chips. Dried fruits, like raisins, prunes and dried apricots, are also high in calories and low in volume, so they can also be easy to overeat.

The most filling high-volume vegetables are high in water and fiber. They can be made into salad, cooked in soups, and used as pizza toppings. Eating nutritious foods that are high in volume and low in calories enables dieters to lose more weight while still getting necessary nutrients.

High-volume, filling vegetables include broccoli , cucumber, dill pickle, green beans , lettuce and other leafy greens like spinach, kale, watercress, mushrooms, okra, olives, onions, peas, pimentos, radish, summer squash, tomatoes and water chestnuts.

The most filling, high volume fruits are juicy and can be made into soups, smoothies and desserts. They include apples, cantaloupe, grapes, oranges, peaches, pears, raspberries, strawberries and watermelon.

Karen Miller-Kovach, MS, RD, chief scientist at Weight Watchers International says that complex carbohydrates that are high in fiber, water or air are also good foods to fill up on. Complex carbs provide energy for the body to use and supply other vital nutrients to keep the body healthy.

Whole grains, such as wheat germ, oats, bran and flax provide fiber and are a good source of complex carbohydrates. Filling whole grains include bran flakes or raisin bran cereal (3/4 cup, high-fiber bread (one slice,), oat bran (1/4 cup, uncooked), oatmeal (1 cup cooked,), air-popped popcorn (3 cups) and brown rice (1 cup cooked).

Miller-Kovach says that lean protein-rich foods can also add to satiety. She suggests that for maximum satisfaction, lean protein should be added to meals.

Lean protein should be devoid of visible fat, minimally processed, or have some or all of the fat removed. Filling protein-rich foods include kidney, lima, canned refried black, and cannellini beans, (1/2 cup), baked, black, garbanzo, navy, pinto and canned refried beans (1/2 cup), non-fat cottage or ricotta cheese (1/3 cup), chestnuts (six small), chicken breast (one medium), low-fat or non-fat milk (1 cup), salmon (3 oz. grilled), tofu (1/3 cup), tuna (4 oz.), light or dark turkey (one slice) and light (artificially sweetened) yogurt (1 cup).

I hope this helps you, best of luck
    Robyn
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats. Those should keep you full. Can't see your diary but I assume you intake at least 100+ grams of protein? If not, increase.

Eat low carb veggies -- lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc. And fruits -- berries and melons.
  • Kagaah
    Kagaah Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks a lot! That was really good information :)
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting plenty of fat. It really helps.
  • alyja09
    alyja09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to low carb and not be hungry, eat lots of protein, veggies, and fruit. Sweet potatoes/yams before or after exercise. Nuts and fruit are a good filling snack between meals. If you're thinking wheat and other grains are a problem for you, I'd look into paleo. If you are okay with dairy, primal would be a good option for you. Hope you figure it out! Being hungry is no way to live your life.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    look up low glycemic foods !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Try more protein.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting plenty of fat. It really helps.

This, and try coconut products. You can bake with coconut flour, use coconut milk in smoothies, soups, etc. Filling, great source of healthy fat and works well for those with IBS and sensitivities to grains.