thoughts on static vs. interval type of cardio

Options
Can I get your thoughts on static cardio (same pace for duration of work out) vs. interval (slow, fast, mixing cardio's during workout) cardio? I currently do both. I use the stairmill and hill walking with sandbags as static 4x per week and intervals 2 times per week. Is this a preferred ratio? I recently read that static cardio is of no benefit, but, now cannot find the article that stated this information. Any insight would be helpful and appreciated!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, I just didn't want you to think no one was listening.
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've recently heard that interval is the way to go as well! I try to do several interval runs a week but I have to admit, I still do a couple of regular runs and stay at the same pace on the stairclimber. I'll have to do more research on this myself!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your ratio is fine. There is a place for intervals and steady-state is every routine. Not every steady-state workout needs to be done at a pedestrian intensity. Pushing the pace for longer intervals or for the entire duration in a steady-state workout can be extremely effective, both for building fitness and burning calories.