Knee pain

Options
Teliooo
Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
I joined the gym a few weeks ago and ever since I have had a wery strange pain in my knee. It hurts when I move in certain positions and it either clicks or feels like it is going to. It also feels swollen but it does not look it. I do suffer from overpronation and my knees bend too far backwards. I also genrally have joints that are too flexible, particularly in my shoulders. Anyway, the knee that hurts is the same knee that I tore ligaments in years ago.

Does anyone have any advice on what it could be? I plan to visit my doc soon. At the gym I have been mainly using the elliptical, and the treadmill as well as free weights.

Replies

• Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I WOULD EASE UP ON THE WEIGHT BEARING EXERCISES. THEY MIGHT BE AGGRIVATING IT MORE. MAYBE SOME RECUMBENT BIKE? SWIMMING. TRY ICING IT AND KEEPING IT RAISED WHILE SLEEPING? I HOPE THIS HELPS AND YOU GET TO THE DOC SOON :)
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    thanks hun x
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was going to suggest ice as well. I have arthritis in my knees and 3 weeks ago was in a car accident and banged them up some more... :cry: But thankfully after being sore and pleh and feeling like my world was going to end. I was back at work and the gym I couldn't even do the bike, but I tackled it today! :bigsmile: and i now walk on the treaddy or do the elliptical. Good luck to you and you get to dr. :wink: Hope it all goes well!! :flowerforyou:
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have a knee sprain and I have been barely able to get around the house at all for 2 weeks. A few days ago I went swimming at the lake for 4 hours (some swim time alone, the rest of the time laying on my belly kicking my legs while playing with my kids) and the difference the next day was unbelievable. I could hardly tell I ever sprained it. Two days later (last night) I went for a mile and a half walk with no difficulty. I highly recommend going for a swim to rehab your knee a bit before getting back to normal exercise.
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    I have a similar problem with my knees as well, I also have pretty significant damage from years of figure skating and car accident. Usually anything that causes me to put too much weight on it (squats/leg press) or anything that is a repetitive motion like a bike really makes it hurt. My advice would be to get a good knee brace to keep the joint tight and in place while you're working out. It is a pain in the butt, but it does take a lot of the strain off. Also, I would space out your workouts that target your knee, for example, I only do my squats and leg press 2x a week, any more than that and it flares up. It will get better with time once the muscles around the knee get stronger, but take it one day at a time! If you find it hurts after the gym, ice and an anti-inflammation medication usually does the trick!

Sorry for the long response lol.
  • elewellen
    elewellen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Aleve by mouth then something like aspercreme or icy hot to rub on it then go to drug store get two knee braces they are super cheap at the dollar store put them on everytime u workout but let your knee rest for about two wks before going back to the gym
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Take it easy on the knee until you see a doctor. Take some ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) for inflammation, and elevate it when you can. I'd even ice it in the evening, 20 min on, 20 min off, repeat.

I hurt both knees earlier this year and it sucks waiting extra healing time if you try to be a hero on them when the pain starts. Hope it's something easily fixed.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I actually started having knee pain, felt like it was going to give out on me when I went down stairs and walking became painful. Found out my kneecap was unstable from lack of exercise (one side of my leg had not enough strength and the other side had too tight muscles). I went to physio, got some exercises and stretches, and a knee cap support brace for if it flares up again and I'm walking for 90 minutes without the brace now. Good luck. Ice and ibuprofen are good too for now, but get to a doc soon in case you damage anything.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I had a similar instance of knee aggravation for several months (clicking, shifting, some movements causing a twinge at the 1:00 point even when walking or moving with a side step); no injuries preceded it. It turned out that my IT band was extremely tight, my ACL loose/stretchy, and my quads and inner thighs were weak. Consequently, the IT band was pulling the knee cap out of alignment. I went to physical therapy and got a series of stretches and exercises. They work the whole leg, with an emphasis on strengthening the weak muscles and strecthing out the IT band. When I do them regularly, the pain is gone and my legs strengthen quickly - :-). If I ignore the work, I feel it within a week and am back to square 1.

While not the same as getting medically evaluated, there is a dvd called "Strong Knees" by Gaiam that has some of the same exercises the pt taught, plus others. I liked it and will probably go back to it if I am looking for a change, though I primarily use the exercises I was taught. It might be a nice reinforcement to anything a pt might show you.

Good luck!
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mkcmurphy, do you mind sharing your stretches for the IT band and the exercises for the leg? I'm slowly getting over a right knee issue and stretching has been helping. I went to my ortho today and go back in three weeks. I'd like to try some different exercises/stretches and was wondering if yours would add to my routine. Thanks!
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bump