Walking on the job, do you count it as exercise?

Options
So here is my question, I am a RN, and work 12 hour shifts (3 days a week), I may walk around the unit for several of the hours, do you count any of the normal walking of life as exercise?
What if you go shopping, or are gardening, or cleaning or moving.....you get the point, what do all of you count, when your day is not one in which you can squeeze in exercise?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    If your job requires walking then you change your activity level in your settings. That will give you a more accurate count of how many calories you should consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I work in a manufacturing plant. One of my coworkers who works out says he does no cardio because he walks all day...he is literally walking all day...I sit at desk, and occaisionally walk a long distance, but I don't think I keep it up enough to keep my heart rate elevated, so I don't count mine.
  • GodsyGirl
    GodsyGirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Im an RN also and I do not count work as my exercise. I also do not count cleaning the house. i guess I consider them bonus. I only count activities where I intentionally make an effort to exercise. Just my opinion
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I only count the walking I do on lunch break. I am a lab supervisor in a large hospital and do not count day to day calories. Your body is already used to burning those calories.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Im an RN also and I do not count work as my exercise. I also do not count cleaning the house. i guess I consider them bonus. I only count activities where I intentionally make an effort to exercise. Just my opinion

^^^^ This
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If your job requires walking then you change your activity level in your settings. That will give you a more accurate count of how many calories you should consume.

IDEA Fitness member

absolutely this.
    that's why nursing is given as an example when setting activity levels.
  • cejubitz
    cejubitz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fellow RN here. I work 8's, and I usually don't count it as exercise. Even though I'm on my feet and walking around constantly, I'm not really raising my heart rate like I do when I go for a run, or when I'm lifting weights. I do have friends who use the FitBit, and that will track your activity level and make an adjustment that way. I do find it mildly amusing that MFP lists "nurse" in the mildly active category, or whatever it is. Hah! We know better. Seriously though, I think the regular activity level is where that is counted, like sedentary, active, very active, etc, instead of your exercise for the day.

Just my thoughts
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job slaving away at the computer so I have myself as sedentary and then just add any longer then 5-10 minutes of walking I do.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Realistically if walking while working was considered "extra" work then walking mail people should be in fabulous shape.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I work in a manufacturing plant. One of my coworkers who works out says he does no cardio because he walks all day...he is literally walking all day...I sit at desk, and occaisionally walk a long distance, but I don't think I keep it up enough to keep my heart rate elevated, so I don't count mine.
    well he's right. walking at a slow pace isn't cardio. it's fatty acid energy system.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Realistically if walking while working was considered "extra" work then walking mail people should be in fabulous shape.

IDEA Fitness member
    the example I always use too. Usually snaps people into the reality that they aren't exercising as hard as they think they are. the 30min of slow walk isn't going to turn you into a lean fit athletic warrior, sorry.
  • JulieMarie01453
    Options
    I work as a CNA and I run around for 8 hours a day tending to rehab patients, and although I sweat up a storm, I do not count it as exercise. I suppose it can be an added extra for exercise, but I also go to the gym and THATS what I count in my diary. I hope that helps :-)
  • AngelAtkins61
    AngelAtkins61 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Im a dental assistant and have logged in 5 miles walking at work in one day! But no I do not count it as exercise. I am not walking at the same pace non stop so I just let fitbit do its thing.
    At lunch I take a 2 3/4 mile power walk and that I do count!
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    I just live in a city where I walk everywhere, to run errands and stuff. I count every minute I walk! Why not? Your body doesn't stop burning calories because it knows you are at work!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I just live in a city where I walk everywhere, to run errands and stuff. I count every minute I walk! Why not? Your body doesn't stop burning calories because it knows you are at work!
    You body doesn't stop burning calories while you sleep either. The point is counting daily work activity shouldn't be counted as exercise because if it were true, then people should be fit as a fiddle. With the exception of people that do actual LABOR work (like construction, ditch digging, etc) walking around during work or daily errand running isn't extra exercise.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I don't count normal walking/movement even though I realize it's buring some calories - I only count calories burned during a workout. I do wear a pedometer though and try to make sure that I am taking as many steps as possible through out the day.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It has already been said. Choose your activity level for your career in the base settings for your calories for the day and don't DOUBLE count that same activity with something like a fitbit... or choose sedentary and then add the fitbit activity in (whatever makes you happy <g>). The only actual "cardio" exercise I enter is the kind I do when sweating and working it... like on a treadmill, hiking or... okay IF... you did STRENUOUS gardening... like you dug and cleared and entire area that was previously not prepped for a garden. That can be some hard work and you could count that if you worked it hard continuously. But not... you putzed around and picked some tomatoes and cucumbers. JMO, but that's how I do it. So far, its working for me and I'm averaging 2 pounds a week overall. So, I guess I'm doing something right. *shrugs*
  • 916RIZO
    Options
    Good Question!:happy:
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The only time I count activity is when it gets my heart rate up and makes me break a sweat. Shoveling snow and gardening generally count. Dusting doesn't.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    A lot of RNs in here. I'll be done with my BSN in next year, can't wait...that's right male nurse!

I wouldn't count it as exercise.