Healthy/High Cal or Unhealthy/Low Cal??

Options
If you had to choose between a meal - or more specifically a DESSERT - that was either low cal and unhealthy (without many nutrients) or high cal and healthy (nutrient dense), which would you choose?

Say you wanted a brownie - you could choose a low cal version of a regular brownie, by using boxed brownie mix and water, or black beans, or pumpkin (instead of eggs and oil) - which would really have no nutrients and would be considered "junk food".

Or you could have one of these: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/03/10/thin-mint-brownies/
A pretty high calorie thin mint brownie dessert like thing, made with pitted dates, walnuts and cocoa powder - high cal, but decent nutrients (compared to the other one).

Which would you go for and why??

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you had to choose between a meal - or more specifically a DESSERT - that was either low cal and unhealthy (without many nutrients) or high cal and healthy (nutrient dense), which would you choose?

Say you wanted a brownie - you could choose a low cal version of a regular brownie, by using boxed brownie mix and water, or black beans, or pumpkin (instead of eggs and oil) - which would really have no nutrients and would be considered "junk food".

Or you could have one of these: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/03/10/thin-mint-brownies/
    A pretty high calorie thin mint brownie dessert like thing, made with pitted dates, walnuts and cocoa powder - high cal, but decent nutrients (compared to the other one).

Neither, I'd go for Killer brownies

114.png
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Neither, I'd go for Killer brownies

114.png

Gotta agree! Yum!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Damn you, ACG... so much for my contemplation, I'ma make some killer brownies now lol
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the healthier ingredients.. How much I'd eat would depend on how many calories I had left for the day.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Desserts are rewards you give kids for eating the dinner all gone and ends up reinforcing the idea that obesity is okay. If I am hungry with a sweet tooth after or between meals, I grab an apple or some other low glycemic value food. Baked goods (all of them) cause spikes in blood sugar and stimulate insulin; none of them are really worth the trouble.

If I **had** to answer a legit answer, I would say a dark chocolate square that is 75% cocoa. High in anti-oxidants, high in healthy gene replacements, has healthy affects on blood sugar, and also is a stimulant.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Desserts are rewards you give kids for eating the dinner all gone and ends up reinforcing the idea that obesity is okay. If I am hungry with a sweet tooth after or between meals, I grab an apple or some other low glycemic value food. Baked goods (all of them) cause spikes in blood sugar and stimulate insulin; none of them are really worth the trouble.

If I **had** to answer a legit answer, I would say a dark chocolate square that is 75% cocoa. High in anti-oxidants, high in healthy gene replacements, has healthy affects on blood sugar, and also is a stimulant.

You sound like a ton of fun.

How do desserts reinforce the idea that obesity is ok?

And lol at GI
  • AbitaCat
    AbitaCat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SUMMARY:

There is growing recognition that replacing saturated fat with refined, high glycemic index carbohydrates increases postprandial glycemia and may be detrimental for weight control and predisposition to cardiovascular and inflammatory disease. In contrast, low glycemic index carbohydrates reduce risk.

EpedimiLOLogy