Always over on Carbs and Sugar

Options
Hi all,

Im in need of some help.

Lately I'm always going on my carbs and sugar (sugar Im not that concerned about as it is from fruit).

I dont eat that much bread, and I rarely eat rice or pasta. But Im normally over by 30(ish), Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can eat that doesn't have much carb in it (my diary is open so feel free to check it out). I have my macros set 35/35/30).

I tend to get a lot of carbs from smoothies - I find it really easy to have one of these as a snack, while kids are around and it gives me calcium as Im not a fan of plain milk.

Thanks, Lyndall

Replies

• goodbyerachel
    Options
    That smoothie is killer! Whoa! My breakfasts lately have been protein smoothie/shakes from home.
    1 cup chobani, 1 scoop protein powder, some spinach and whatever fruits we have around the house. So I know what is in there and the only carbs I am getting are from fruit! Smoothies are super easy meals but most smoothie places (I don't know if yours are homemade or bought) and actually CRAZY unhealthy if you look at their facts.

it also looks like most your meals contain a high carb grain of some sort. If you were to cut breads out of one meal you'd probably be under. And maybe cut some fruit (I hate saying that, I am a fruitaholic) but they are pretty high carb-wise and some is good but there should be more veggies than fruit each day!
  • AGreen54
    AGreen54 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I go over them too. I think it's from the fruits. Maybe try snacking on things like nuts and eating more meat??
  • lyndall5311
    lyndall5311 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I know my smoothies are huge, they generally consist of a banana, 1/2 cup berries (or honey and cinnamon) and about 500ml of lite milk - I generally drink it throughout the day.

I guess I need to start cutting down on my fruit and increasing my veg intake - guess my diet needs a bit more tweaking.

Thanks for your help :smile:
  • jaspn1981
    jaspn1981 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello,

1st off. Stop drinking those smoothies. I know they sound great and healthy, but they aren't. Far too many calories, and not enough proteins to make it a meal replacement... 19g is ok. But coming in close to 500 calories. you could just as well Buy a Whey protein supplement, and have a "Milk Shake" More protein, less carbs, and 1/4 the calories. The Smoothie is also almost 2x as much sugar as your goal says you need in one day.

I would reccomend Shopping around for some new card sources, The bread you're eating is a bit higher on the carb list / Calories than what Im used to seeing. My bread is only about 90 cals per slice, and 18g of carbs.

Lastly, IMO, you are eating far too few grams of protein. I see you are eating a lot of veggies, and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is, people just want to lose weight. They dont care what the weight they lose is. You don't want to lose lean muscle mass. Muscle gives the body the shape we all aspire to have.

Lose the Smoothie. Up your proteins. And you're all set
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It looks like you only has smoothies a couple of days. I agree with above poster who said they are not worth the 500 calories. If you are using them so you get enough dairy for calcium, try using a non dairy source of calcium (like green leafy veggies, almonds, sardines or salmon, beans). Also, you said you don't eat a lot of bread, but it's somewhere in your diary almost every day, often times 2 slices, which is a double serving. Opt for whole wheat bread, which won't cut down on carbs but at least they will be good carbs. I can't give up bread complety, but if I have a sandwhich or something I just use one piece. Also it looks like a pile-up of things with a moderate amount of sugar. The skinny lattes should go. You are drinking your calories and carbs when it's better and more satisifying to eat them! I couldn't believe the difference I saw in my calorie AND sugar intake when I quit drinking all sweetened beverages. It also seems like a substantial portion of your sugar comes from fruit. I'm not saying to eliminate all fruit, but some fruits have less sugar in them than others. Here's a list of the highest and lowest!
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/which-fruits-have-the-most-sugar.html
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try a healthier smoothie - maybe without banana (high in sugar, carbs and cals). Most berries are ok in terms of calories and sugar but ones like blueberries and blackcurrants are best.

My homemade smoothies usually have berries, spinach or kale, hemp protein powder, 1/3 banana or a bit of some other fruit I have around and light soy milk or water (or coconut water if I'm feeling decadent). They're never over 300 cals and are full of healthy stuff!
  • velsbree
    velsbree Posts: 69
    Options
    If you enjoy your smoothies and you are losing weight why change? I would be concerned if you cut that out you will feel deprived, Try cutting the smoothie in half:drinker:
  • kayx199189
    kayx199189 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yep I agree with everyone else your smoothies seem to be the biggest problem maybe try making one with less fruit and more veg, and maybe include some whey protein as I find it very filling so that could help keep you fuller for longer, by doing that you will be cutting your sugar down, I always go over my sugar too and it hasnt really affected my weightloss, maybe just try to cut it down so your not going over as much, good luck to you