Replies

• j9riter
    j9riter Posts: 20
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Daxxes
    Daxxes Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1433 x1.2=1720 -1000 for a 2 pd a week loss. that would be 720 calories a day is that right!!!!!!!!

No, that's not right.

Your BMR is the amount your body needs just to function, i.e. breath, heart beat, etc. etc. Just go by what MFP has suggested to you, which would have been based on the info you submitted when you created your account. Then also eat the exercise calories you earn on top of what you've been allocated by MFP, unless you already took into account your exercise when you indicated your activity level.

Eating 720 calories a day WOULD be starvation and totally unsustainable.

Personally, I eat my BMR calories - which is actually a little higher than my daily allocation by MFP - (and some days even 100 - 300 calories more), plus the majority of my exercise calories and have been averaging a 1.5 pound loss every week.

Good luck!!

Edited for typo :tongue:
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am always confused about my activity level . I am a programmer , i work from home. I try to work out atleast 3 times a week (i count that under exercise cals) . When I work I sit , but my day is not like i am sitting for 8 hours continously. I drop and pick kids from school , activities , i cook , basic cleaning , gardening etc. My weight is barely moving and I am not sure if my activity level is sedentary or lightly active. Please help.
    an example of "lightly active" might be a total of walking normal pace two hours a day. maybe 600 calorie burn worth of activity. keep in mind this needs to be as consistent as possible in your life, because if you say youre lightly active, but then sit around on your butt all day on sunday and still meet the net goal set, your deficit is actually smaller because you werent 'lightly active' that day. theres a possiblity you arent eating enough calories per day, or maybe you are focusing on an exremely low carb diet and your DNA reacts better to a low fat diet or vice versa, Do you follow an extremely disciplined low carb/low fat diet? what is your age,height, weight, and gender and how many calories per day do you currently eat from food?
  • marc8686
    Options
    My BMR is 1433 x1.2=1720 -1000 for a 2 pd a week loss. that would be 720 calories a day is that right!!!!!!!!

No, that's not right.

Your BMR is the amount your body needs just to function, i.e. breath, heart beat, etc. etc. Just go by what MFP has suggested to you, which would have been based on the info you submitted when you created your account. Then also eat the exercise calories you earn on top of what you've been allocated by MFP, unless you already took into account your exercise when you indicated your activity level.

Eating 720 calories a day WOULD be starvation and totally unsustainable.

Personally, I eat my BMR calories - which is actually a little higher than my daily allocation by MFP - (and some days even 100 - 300 calories more), plus the majority of my exercise calories and have been averaging a 1.5 pound loss every week.

Good luck!!

Edited for typo :tongue:

actually, what the poster said about 720 calories a day is correct. they posted their BMR multiplied by the sedentary activity value of 1.2, and subtracted 1,000 for a 2lb per week deficit goal equaling 720. if you look, youll find my response confirming the math but letting them know a 2lb/week goal isnt realistic with their TDEE, advised them to shoot for a 1lb per week goal with a 500 calorie deficit instead.
  • marc8686
    Options
    But what if your to full to eat anything else? I understand what your saying but somedays I get full off of just getting my water intake in...you know that rule of drinking 8oz before every meal......thanks

:huh: There's no such thing as Not being able to find room for extra calories. Nuts are good fats, high in calories & make a great snack on their own,in a salad, or yogurt & you don't have to eat a lot of them.

1 tbsp Walnut Pieces - Unsalted - approx 95 cals
    1/3 cup of Pumpkin Seeds Hulled, Roasted, Unsalted - 290 cals
    1/3 cup of Sunflower Seeds Hulled Roasted & Unsalted - 300 cals
    ive found that unsalted sunflower kernels have a LOT of calories. typically almost 200 calories for only a quarter cup, i can sit down and eat a half cup of those quite easily and thats 400 calories.
  • marc8686
    Options
    Yes, the site recommended 1200 calories but I have it set for 1500. I have been logging my exercise, but I have been trying to leave those calories as being "under my calorie goal."
    sounds like your nutritionist has you on a completely different process than the way MFP was designed to work. here, you set up a TOTAL NET CALORIC GOAL. which is your Total daily energy expenditure (BMR times lifestyle activity quotient) minus your calorie deficit. This is the number you need to hit each day including the foods you eat AND the exercise you do. so you log EVERYTHING and try to use all the calories available. This results in you consistently hitting your daily caloric dificit goal, in most peoples' case 1,000 calories. so you work backwards. you start with deciding how much of a daily deficit you want, then by setting a goal based on that, you can track EVERYTHING you eat and ALL your exercise and make sure you are eating enough to make up for the exercise so you still adhere to the original deficit goal.
  • marc8686
    Options
    wow. so basically, you really should eat back most of your exercised calories daily...i always tried to stay away from that, over worrying that i was eating too much and that i wouldn't lose weight. thanks for explaining it like that!

no problem. and make sure you are operating on the correct premise by calculating the correct TDEE, i found that MFP actually had a higher recommendation than that from the miflin st jeor equation i set mine manually.
  • marc8686
    Options
    Hi Marc, I am still very confused. My BMR is 1,739 and my activity is light (3 days week average of 580 calories). My calories per day are 1,530 and have it set to lose 1 1/2 lbs a week. So I actually need to be eating less calories a day than mine is set for? Please Help!!??

Thanks!
    :huh:
    what is your age, height, weight? and whats your activity level like outside of your exercise regimen? job and home life, etc?
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This all seems way complicated. :grumble:

MFP has each user set up to loose weight (or maintain, whatever the users goal is) using the settings it provides and you choose. You eat what it says to eat!

It can get a little more complicated (when you are close to goal, are gaining muscle, metabolic issues, etc) but for simple weight loss, following the calories it gives will produce results.

When someone does not eat back exercise calories, it causes too much of a deficit.
    -Too large a deficit= plateau and metabolic damages.
    -Eating back exercise cals= maintaining activity level settings, deficit is reasonable for continued loss.

That's my 2 cents, anyway. :flowerforyou:
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Your algorithm isn't working for me... My weight 159lbs, height 5'8, age 30. My weight 72.121kg, height 72.72, age 30. Doing your algorithm, my bmr is around 1200; my daily expense is 1700 but at a 1000 deficiency I would be at 700 kcalories. I eat 1200 calories (or under that depending on how hungry I am) and I still lose 2-3 lbs per week. No muscle loss, just body fat (I eat lots of lean protein).
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    bump!!! yep I understand and agree.. and it makes it simple too on mfp cuz it ADDS the exercise cals back to your 'food calorie bank" i trip out on peeps that dont eat there exercise cals back!! like they will burn dang 600+ and eat NONE back!! ridiculous.... I would faint.. LOL.. i mean sometimes i'll leave 100 or 50 cals left.. but not the full thing.. and i usually eat em all.. i burn minimum 400 a day in exercise and usually closer to 600-800.. so umm yeah I b grubbin... LOL.. thank u for your post.. i know a lot of peeps need to read it! :smile:
  • marc8686
    Options
    Your algorithm isn't working for me... My weight 159lbs, height 5'8, age 30. My weight 72.121kg, height 72.72, age 30. Doing your algorithm, my bmr is around 1200; my daily expense is 1700 but at a 1000 deficiency I would be at 700 kcalories. I eat 1200 calories (or under that depending on how hungry I am) and I still lose 2-3 lbs per week. No muscle loss, just body fat (I eat lots of lean protein).
    actually the numbers work out just fine, your bmr is about 1656 calories, your TDEE is about 2,000. a net 1,200 daily caloric intake would be an 800 calorie/day deficit, so somewhere around 1.5-2lb per week expected weight loss. your extra care on WHAT you include in your diet can probably account for the extra weight loss.....eating such nutrient dense foods definitely helps. The problem in your math was listing your height as 72.72 cm. 159lbs actually converts to 172.72 you forgot the "1".
    edit: granted its possible your daily lifestyle outside of exercise falls into the 'lightly active'" category which bumps your TDEE to 2278 calories, almost exactly a 1,000 deficit for a 2lb per week expected weight loss. im assuming you quoted 1200/day as the total net calories youve been getting.
  • Bigjayinga
    Bigjayinga Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great info. Everyone is different. We each have to find out what works for us. I have had some success and I never eat my exercise calories back. I'm losing weight and keeping muscle . If I ever stop losing then I would try to eat my calories back and see if it works.
  • Chrisswa
    Chrisswa Posts: 71
    Options
    So i am still a bit confused (never takes much to confuse me, i am only new to MFP too), if my Daily Goal is 1830 according to age weight etc etc, and like today i earned and burnt 400 calories in a spin class ( i have a polar fitness watch) so then that takes my daily total up to 2230 calories for the day .... how many calories should i stick to and eat daily ???? 1830 or 2230?? I have only just noticed the NET calorie on the home page the other day and it confused the crap out of me lol !! I work out every day most days i burn a min of 300 calories a day in a cardio workout. Love MFP but would love to be using it correctly.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Marc, while I see the "logic" in what you explained, the wild card you have to take into account is the accuracy of the calories that you record for your consumption or burn. On the food side, the calories on the package is the total container divided by the # of servings. So if you have a can of soup and only have half of it, you do not know if you got an equal distribution of the calories. You may have gotten more of the meat in your half and left more broth in the remaining half. Likewise, if you go to subway's website and calculate the calories of your sub and record them in your diary, you are counting on the person behind the counter to actually build the sub to the company specs. While these are small calorie differences, they all add up. For the burn aspect, my elliptical shows a different calorie burn than the MFP shows. Even if you use a heart rate monitor, you are still assuming that it is calculating correctly. So you could be underestimating your calories in and over estimate your calories burned and end up being over your calories.

You ended your post with the statement "feel free to rebuttal on my take on this argument, but id say its difficult to argue with this logic." I will give you an argument that it is difficult to argue. I have NEVER eaten all of my exercise calories back and I average a 2 lb loss a week and have lost a total of 108 lbs. I can also show you examples of other people that have had daily calorie deficits of up to 3500 calories a day that have successfully lost weight.

My point is that there is no absolute with this argument. Everybody's body acts differently and everyone needs to find what works for them. If eating back your calories works, do it. If it does, try not eating some of them back or all of them back. Toy with it until you get to something that is successful for you.

THIS.

I am actually very interested in knowing how you all suggest to cope with the inaccuracy of both calories present in food and calories used when exercising.
    I do understand that the number of calories you eat doesn't have to be exactly the suggested amount (so, on a 1600 calories diet, having 1650 or 1580 wouldn't really change much), but what is the margin of error after which we are not following our plan properly any more?
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your time and info :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So i am still a bit confused (never takes much to confuse me, i am only new to MFP too), if my Daily Goal is 1830 according to age weight etc etc, and like today i earned and burnt 400 calories in a spin class ( i have a polar fitness watch) so then that takes my daily total up to 2230 calories for the day .... how many calories should i stick to and eat daily ???? 1830 or 2230?? I have only just noticed the NET calorie on the home page the other day and it confused the crap out of me lol !! I work out every day most days i burn a min of 300 calories a day in a cardio workout. Love MFP but would love to be using it correctly.

You eat 1830 if you do not exercise. If you do exercise, you eat 1830 + the amount you got from exercise.
    If you are not losing weight after about 3 weeks, then you may have miscalculated how active you are when you told it to calculate. Or, you may not be estimating your calories you are eating correctly, or your calories burned estimate is off.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I do understand that the number of calories you eat doesn't have to be exactly the suggested amount (so, on a 1600 calories diet, having 1650 or 1580 wouldn't really change much), but what is the margin of error after which we are not following our plan properly any more?

The margin of error is going to depend. A deficit of 1,000 a day creates a 2 pound per week weight loss. 500 calories a day creates a 1 pound per week weight loss. People who do not have as much to lose cannot create a 1,000 a day deficit. If you are very close to goal, you may have to be on a half a pound a week loss, and so your margin of error in that case is much smaller.
  • LizaArg
    LizaArg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to make sure you eat back your exercise calories. Although it seems counter-intuitive, your body willlet go of fat easier. There's a whole slew of posts in the community about people who lost more weight once they started to eat more. Of course, go for nutrient dense foods, not empty calories. You'd be surprised that it can be hard to eat all the calories we need. Sometimes I fall short because healthy food doesn't cause me to eat as much (I feel satiated faster). Hang in there!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Although I don't trust my HRM in terms of calories burned, I think it is a useful tool. Losing weight for me is a struggle but for now, I'm not eating back my calories. My intake is around 1500-1600. I am trying to exercise every day. I have a sedentary life otherwise so my exercise is really my main activity in the day.

I plan to try some days of exercising twice/day but once I get to do that, I know I'll need to increase my caloric intake.