protien and weightloss?

Options
I keep hearing how important protein is when losing weight as it helps with building muscle and stopping muscle mass. Im lucky if i get 5g of protien a day sometimes only 1g. I rarely eat meat once every couple weeks if lucky. I dont have dairy much atall. Ive thought about protein shakes but they seem to be for body builders and i dnt wanna put on weight or get massive muscles lol.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• WillBeSlimSarah
    Options
    Hi, I have the same problem as the only food i like which is protein is chicken and turkey. So i now use protein shakes as a way to take in more protein. I think the ones bodybuilders use are the ones with high carbs but if you look for high protein but low fat and carbs that should be fine. I just use Met-RX x
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Protein isn't only impotant for weight loss. Your body needs it to be healthy. Your body needs calcium too. If you don't do dairy, try almond milk. Lots of options out there, including supplements, if need be.

First, drinking protein shakes will not give you massive muscles...even if you lift heavy weights. It sounds like they may be a good option for you. There is also Quinoa, beans, nuts, nut butters, eggs, Greek yogurt.

It would be helpful if you opened your diary so we could get a better idea what you are eating.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we know what types of food you eat?

Beans and nuts have lots of protein :)
  • lilati
    lilati Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can try tofu, beans, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts and plenty more! :)
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    There are tons of high protein, non-meat foods. I was ate vegan for 2 years until I got pregnant and did no meat, eggs or dairy and still got a significant amount of protein in. Even some fruits and veg have protein. Most grains and breads have some protein as well. I'd like to see your diary too ... as I can't imagine going through a day with only 5 g of protein. Log a few days and see what you come up with. Even a slice of toast has that much protein.
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    nuts, eggs (mostly the whites), protein bars, slim jims, string cheese, cottage cheese, tuna, peanut butter, and oatmeal. These are all high in protein.
  • lilati
    lilati Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, like someone else mentioned before me, quinoa is great as well! You can cook and eat it with veggies or store it in the fridge and eat next day like a salad or something. I hear it's great with fruit too. It's also gluten free.
  • jmhurley87
    Options
    I dont open my diary cos i have really bad days and nothing consistant yet. This is all because i cant seem to find food that works for me. I have a very low matabolism and the slightest thing makes me put on weight lol.

I cam off dairy as i find it makes me put on far to much weight and i end up craving it, meat has never been apealing to me and when i do have it i have chicken breast mash potatoe and vegatables.

Ive just started a smoothy breakfast with maca powderfor energy ect. I have a piece of fruit about 10 ( im up at 5 with daughter so eat about 7)

then lunch varies, if im out with mum i have jacket poatoes cheese and beans ( cheese is my weakness) i only have that once a week.If not ill have noodles and veg.

Dinner i have pasta with low fat sauce but its got lots of calories in.

Somedays i can burn between 500-1000 kcals but others i burn 200... depending on daughter as she 2 and im a fulltime mum and dnt get alot of me time lol. ( hubby works away alot)

Ive tried looking at meal ideas online but it all seems very high calorie. I want low calorie, proberly vegetarian ( can add meat if i want it) and low low dairy.

is there a good multi vitamin i can take that will help in deficences or would i have to take seperat ones? Im taking high dose of vit b at min and its fantastic for energy and water retention. its helped me alot.