Atkins followers.. quick question!

Options
Hi all,

Quick question for anyone on atkins.

I've just started Atkins and I'm on the first phase of only eating 20 net carbs a day.

Does anyone still keep their calories lower? I've been eating my 20 carbs and hitting about 2000 cals or just slightly under (MFP is set to 1800 cals)

I find that I do eat quite a bit of meat (mainly chicken or bacon) as obviously it's a phase consisting of meat and selected veg and salad and atkins bars.

Does anyone have any advice to help?

My weight on atkins keeps on going up and down even though I'm sticking to a food plan, so I'm just generally wanting any advice from atkins followers.

Thanks in advance :) x

Replies

• Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    They do say you don't have to count calories on Atkins but that doesn't mean that calories don't count! Clearly if you are eating waaaay more than your body needs you will not lose weight. Atkins guidance is 1500-1800 a day for women. If you are following the plan and losing weight then I would not worry. If you are not losing weight then I would definitely look at calories consumed and try to keep it down. It is really hard when you consider the high fat nature of the diet.
  • kathrynangelabaird
    Options
    Yeah it is tricky to plan as you're main food can be high in calories. I do try and eat more salad then meat or cheese for lunch, which is making my calories slightly less than it is has been.
    I suffer from PCOS so I will struggle to lose weight but I shouldn't be struggling in the 2nd week of the diet and only losing like 2-3 pounds!

I might keep an eye on my calories from now on just to see if it makes it better or not and cut down on the meat!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    When I did induction I was eating around 1400 - 1500 calories - I made a daily summary at the time

I wasn't trying to count or limit them at the time, that's just what happened !

Controlling protein food portions is probably important, also use fattier protein sources to avoid too much protein. You don't want to be on lean / diet / lite stuff.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi there

here's the link to the MFP low carber group, where there are plenty of resources.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I did induction I was eating around 1400 - 1500 calories - I made a daily summary at the time

I wasn't trying to count or limit them at the time, that's just what happened !

Controlling protein food portions is probably important, also use fattier protein sources to avoid too much protein. You don't want to be on lean / diet / lite stuff.

That is really interesting; as a 150lb tall woman I really struggled to keep calories below about 1650-1700. One side effect of ketosis I never experienced was loss of appetite. I always wondered if Atkins relies on this to truly work. There is a school of thought that firmly believes that Atkins offers no metabolic advantage but works simply by causing you to eat fewer calories. I am unsure but I wasn't getting enough results to carry on with it so have stopped