gym advice please

Options
So i had my induction at my local gym on saturday and the guy was asking all sorts of questions and turns out that my body builds muscle quickly but doesnt burn fat at the same speed so i end up bulking up, so he recommended that i focus more on resistant training and only do slight cardio as a warm up and a cool down.

this sounds good to me as cardio is my least favorite thing to do. So was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of what machines to use and for how long etc?

my aim is to slim down. :smile:

Replies

• Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Were you actully bulking up or did he say you would! It's a false statement that women bulk up! Lift free weights if you can or use a TRX if your gym has one. Lift heavy for fewer reps (I know I know, women think they will get bulky this way but you WON'T) If done right you will get cardio while lifting as it's hard work! The muscle you build will look tonespd and burn calories at a resting state! Go for it, it's the latest way to get fit!!!! Look up a fitness instructor on line called Mike Geary!!! :0)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Your muscles don't grow quickly. I promise you, that as a woman, they simply don't. What you're likely experiencing is muscle swelling - where your muscles hold onto water to extract nutrients from it to facilitate repair. The more you train, the less time this will last after a workout.

It's incredibly difficult to build muscle on a calorie deficit, even for men, so for a woman who would, on average, have about 1/16th the testosterone, you won't actually be seeing much, if any growth. Your muscles can become stronger though, as more fast twitch fibers are activated.

With that said, I would recommend a 3 x 5 Strength lifting program with focus on:
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    and Pull Ups
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Your muscles don't grow quickly. I promise you, that as a woman, they simply don't. What you're likely experiencing is muscle swelling - where your muscles hold onto water to extract nutrients from it to facilitate repair. The more you train, the less time this will last after a workout.

It's incredibly difficult to build muscle on a calorie deficit, even for men, so for a woman who would, on average, have about 1/16th the testosterone, you won't actually be seeing much, if any growth. Your muscles can become stronger though, as more fast twitch fibers are activated.

With that said, I would recommend a 3 x 5 Strength lifting program with focus on:
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    and Pull Ups

excellent advice....I substitute pendlay rows for the pull ups for now...but i eventually hope to do pullups. I have been li fting for 10 months now, and i have gotten SMALLER and more streamlined... i am even the lowest around the band for my bra than I have ever been! all while lifting heavy(for me).

no way you will get bulky...i recommend reading Starting Strength,

Jules:flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make sense. Cardio will burn calories so why limit it?
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Agree, doesnt make any sense at all! Cardio doesnt bulk up muscles anyway, as stated above just burns calories, really dont see how the guy decided on this, is he a PT or just a gym bod so to speak?

Also on an induction they should be working out a plan on the machines to use and how long for, reps/sets etc, doesnt sound like he has been overly helpful to be honest!

I do lots of cardio and lifting now, and trust me the cardio does not bulk me up and at the moment the lifting is only strengthening what is there, I'd be looking at talking to someone else to be honest.
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    ''So i had my induction at my local gym on saturday and the guy was asking all sorts of questions and turns out that my body builds muscle quickly but doesnt burn fat at the same speed''

Hey

How did he work this out?? By asking you questions??
  • fuego84
    fuego84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You may be interested in reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I found it to be very informative and there's like 6 months of workouts included.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Next time you see him ask him this "Do you even lift?" and see what happens. I'll give you five bucks if you do.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Without knowing verbatim what was said, let us dismiss that part and concentrate on the strength training. Most people want most benefit and least time spent, in this regard lifting wins, vigorous lifting in a circuit style using compound movements is the king.

Maybe that is the message that the PT was putting across to you.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1) Cardio does not bulk - like the previous posters have said, you may experiance temporary swelling which will subside. Drinking lots of water will help.

2) Did this 'guy' just point out the machines to you? If so I hope you did not pay for your induction!!!

If I was you, I'd go back (or go to a better gym) and ask for a fully qualified Personal Trainer to give you a PROPER induction;
    - take you through the machines properly
    - show you how they work
    - what they do/what muscles they work
    - AND write out an actual program for you to follow to achive your personal goals - this is the whole point of the induction.
    - some PT's might even give you some diet advice (if qualified to do so)

Hope this helps :-)
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a heavy lifting workout, but the guy should have taken you through the whole circuit! How to load the machines (safely), whether you need a spotter, and how to lift with the least risk of injury. Maybe you already know this stuff ^_^ (I had to be shown how to plug in the treadmills, d'oh.)

If it feels like you paid for the right to enter the gym and you're worried they might charge more for PT time, try going in when there are several trainers hanging around during a lull and ask it as a casual question - "Ah, can you please show me how to use the X machine properly?" All our internet advice can't compensate for two minutes in front of the relevant machine. Good luck and happy lifting!