AM I REALLY NOT LOSING DUE TO....

Options
DRINKING DIET SODA? MY COWORKERS ARE SAYING THAT MY DIET SODA IS KEEPING ME FROM LOSING WEIGHT.....ANYONE HEAR THIS FROM A DOCTOR OR TRAINER? I DRINK ALOT OF WATER...WHEN I WAS LOSING WEIGHT IN HIGHSCOOL I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM THE DIEST SODA KEEPS ME FROM EATING BECAUSE OF THE FULL FEELING FROM THE CARBINATION.....I DONT KNOW :ohwell:

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard that no. I drink diet soda occasionally and I am still loosing. However, if I crave carbonation I usually go with flavored mineral water.
  • Niibin
    Niibin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really don't know. But our bodies change in terms of what we can handle and how we handle food/drinks. We can't really eat the same things in the same amount as we used to when we were in high school.
  • tisahokie
    tisahokie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you go to Google News and do a search, you'll find some research on this. If I recall, the theory is that the sweetness makes your body expect sugar and when it doesn't get it, you start to crave it and end up eating more than less. If you drink it in moderation, however, and still make sure to get your water in and stay within your calories, you should be fine.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    diet coke actually makes me hungry and snack more. carbonation doesn't fill me up, but the nutrisweet increases my appetite. my doctor explained that to me. he said that occasionally diet pop is okay. i think maybe that's why your co-workers may think the diet soda is preventing weight loss. but if you say it's filling and you eat less, than i don't think that's it.

do you eat breakfast? what kinds of foods are you eating, and how much exercise are you getting in a week?
  • stephjohnny
    stephjohnny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I drank strictly diet soda up until about 6 months ago. All of a sudden I started having cravings for unsweetened tea and ended up giving up my diet soda and lost 18 pounds without modifying my diet nor exercising. When I lost the weight that easily, is when I began to actively start losing by eating right and exercising. Now I only drink water and once I meet my water intake for the day, I reward myself with my tea. 48 pounds later and I have maybe had 2 or 3 serving of soda in the last 6 months. Diet sodas are high in sodium. Give up your soda for a few weeks and drink nothing but water or unsweetened tea and see what happens. Nothing wrong with any kind of soda every now and again, but even diet soda should be drank in moderation as regular sodas.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    oh, and how many calories are you taking in every day?
  • mswing7674
    Options
    my first week I was drinking 95% diet soda and lost 5lbs, but this second week i haven' been drinking diet soda except like may twice and lost 10lbs, but i don't know if its a proven fact
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    There was a study back in 2006 that showed that adults who drink diet soda are about 40% more likely to be overweight. There are a number of theories about this, including that artificial sweeteners create a fat storing hormone response. Your body gets all messed up because it thinks it's getting sugar but it's not. One of the physicians I work with says that dark pop is just about the worst thing you can drink for the health of your liver. It's second only to diet dark pop.
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the comments its appreciated...i will try and cut down or maybe cut it out....to late for today had some this am....im not able to exercise because of work lately although im going to try and go on days off...i eat 1240 a day
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    There's been a lot of discussion about this.

If you need Diet Soda to keep from eating or drinking something more destructive by all means. But also understand you're not doing what's best.

I lost 60 lbs while drinking two cans of Diet Coke most days. I used it to quit drinking Mountain Dew. But now it's time to give it up because I'm ready to do so, and I'm doing some pretty aggressive work outs that require all the water I can get. It's been a week since I quit cold Turkey. Where I can see a big difference is I have more energy in the evenings, because I don't go through a "sugar crash".
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    There was a study back in 2006 that showed that adults who drink diet soda are about 40% more likely to be overweight. There are a number of theories about this, including that artificial sweeteners create a fat storing hormone response. Your body gets all messed up because it thinks it's getting sugar but it's not. One of the physicians I work with says that dark pop is just about the worst thing you can drink for the health of your liver. It's second only to diet dark pop.

Really?? So a double-shot of Crown chased by a Budweiser would be better for my liver?

The two studies that have been done on Diet Soda don't tell me anything other than Over-Weight People drink Diet Soda
    But you can look them up yourself and see what you think: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_soda
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was told that coffee would do pretty much the same thing. No way am I giving up coffee. no way!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Really?? So a double-shot of Crown chased by a Budweiser would be better for my liver?

The two studies that have been done on Diet Soda don't tell me anything other than Over-Weight People drink Diet Soda
    But you can look them up yourself and see what you think: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_soda

Obviously excessive alcohol consumption is not healthy for your liver, however it is a very small segment of the population that would consider drinking to excess every single day. Dark soda, and diet soda, are present in almost every home. It's becoming a major problem. The Wiki article you linked does not appear to have been well cited so I can't comment as to its validity.
  • burbmama
    Options
    I cut out the soda a few weeks ago but seem to slip when I go out to eat (which isnt very often anymore).

My replacement:
    Italian Sodas and Italian Creme Sodas

In a 16 or 20 ounce cup I measure out 2 ounces of Torani Sugar Free Syrup (made with splenda)
    Pour over ice
    and fill the rest with club soda (fizz is important to make it more "filling" and flavorful.
    Add 2 TBS of non-fat half and half to make it a creme soda

My favorites are Coffee Flavor, Raspberry and creme de menthe

I keep a small container on my desk and a few cans of club soda in the fridge at work and make one when I feel hungry.

**make sure not to use tonic water**