Is it normal to almost puke after a run?

Options
My chest was burning on the inside and i sat for like a half hour when i got home just trying not to, is that normal if you push yourself? I didnt have a heavy lunch

Replies

• Krystleklearfit
    Options
    i never had it happen to me but i remember in high school when the boys basketball team was conditioning someone was always puking from the drills
  • mamalopez12
    mamalopez12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OMG!

I used to run and have done that b4!
    I liked it.

Not sure if it was good.
    Not sure why I liked it either..
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    If you didn't eat too close to your run, nausea means you're pushing too hard. It's fine to do that occasionally, but not a good idea to work that hard EVERY workout. Your body needs a chance to recover after superhard workouts. If you consistently work out to the point of vomiting, you'll start tearing your body down as it has no chance to recover and build more strength.

It's only happened to me during a race, but yes, it's happened.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    In high school track a few times, but never in a race since then. I have seen it used in some gyms as a right of passage, or a sign of toughness that you can hurl and get back to work, but its not really productive to push yourself that hard all the time. Generally, if you're vomiting, you're working too hard.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have had it happen when I pushed myself a little too hard, especially if it was hot outside.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Is running new to you or was it a particularly hard run? I've actually puked after half marathons- lol, it's just part of the allure to me, I guess, but it shouldn't happen on a regular run. It can happen if you're brand new to running, though. In these cases, its a response to overexertion.

Generally, its a sign of dehydration or nutrition mismanagement- as in you eat too soon before a run and the food is bouncing around in your belly. Allow 90 mins after a meal to run, or 30 mins after a lighter snack.

Edit- just re-read and caught the part about your lunch. Ignore the food stuff if it doesn't apply.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Guilty of that! Puked after an 8 mile run in the hot Texas heat.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel very nauseated after a really hard workout...
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses, yes I am about 2 weeks into running s i still consider myself new. I was told if i sprint two min walk two min I will run better faster
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses, yes I am about 2 weeks into running s i still consider myself new. I was told if i sprint two min walk two min I will run better faster

If your goal is to be able to run distances I would discontinue that sprint training and run intervals at a really slow pace until you can't go any father, and then walk until you've just recovered, and run slowly again. Over time, your runs get longer and walks get shorter, until you're running the full desired distance. If you do that for a while and build your endurance, then the time comes to incorporate faster intervals to work on speed. Speed work without endurance is kind of like torture!

Just my opinion.
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    I've felt like fainting but I probably pushed myself too far
  • Peeriegemgem
    Options
    On hot days have felt myself wretching, and have thrown up during workouts before. Maybe slow it down and try and get some liquids back into you. Lucozade sport light or something tends to keep me perked up.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Normal to feel nauseous after pushing yourself to your absolute limit. Probably due to the fight or flight reaction where blood is redirected to other parts of your system. It should pass quickly though.

Forget about speed for now - whoever told you to sprint is wrong. Run at a speed that allows you to run longer. Give yourself a chance to get used to running. Even then sprinting for two minutes is a VERY VERY VERY hard workout that will take you to your absolute limit and even well honed athletes would rarely do that. Remember Bolt only sprints for 20 secs!