wii vs "real" exercise

Options
helyg
helyg Posts: 675 Member
Hi, this is my first post so be gentle with me!

I find it hard to fit trips to the gym into my schedule. The nearest gym is 6 miles away, and I have 3 children and a job. I have signed up for swimming lessons once a week (I can swim but my technique is shocking, also I'm hoping that paying for 12 weeks in advance will help my motivation!) but I can't really fit any other classes in. I walk and cycle quite a lot, including to and from work and the children's school every day, but that doesn't burn huge amounts of calories.

We do however have a wii. The children have wii sports and I have been playing tennis on it, and I have also just bought myfitnesscoach which has lots of different workouts on it. I can fit this in first thing in the morning or at night after the children have gone to bed. Also it has the advantage that nobody else can see me dripping with sweat and puffing and panting! But is it as good as going to the gym or aerobics classes etc?

Replies

• lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    I had to laugh because the bobbing, weaving and arm movemnts I have to do in the boxing i time myself for (30 mins) really works up a sweat! To me, it IS real excersise. MFP seems to think so too because i log it in my excersise and the burn is great! As far as bowling, golf, tennis not sure yet, as have been using the boxing which seems to burn alot..plus its not boring! I TOTALLY think its a legit excersise and use it twice a week along with weights and walking..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight doing EA Active Sports 2 on the Playstation, plus Couch to 5k ( and continuing to run after). I got better results in terms of body composition with heavy lifting at the gym (and now at home), but the "game" was certainly real exercise. It was pretty much the same as any Jillian Michaels DVD.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't used any of these myself but I'd class the wii workouts in the same category as home exercise videos..........it's exercise (assuming the user actually puts effort into it)
  • Aventuria
    Aventuria Posts: 151
    Options
    I tried wii a few times and don't think it works for me. I sometimes do Kinect games, which works out for me a little better.

But I prefer "real" exercise and I think it has the best effect anyway...

But as you don't have much spare time it is better than nothing at all, I assume. ;-)
  • MosierTim
    MosierTim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wii games are no different than any other cardio exercise. If you are getting your heart rate up and sweatting that is a good indication that you are burning calories. You NEVER have to go to a gym to do "real" exercise, Heck, mowing the grass and chasing the kids around the yard are "real" exercise. Having said that, I would reccomend that incorporate some sort of strength training (not sure if Wii games have that or not) so that you add back on some lean muscle while you are losing weight. Lean muscle burns calories while you are nothing so even adding 5 or 10 lbs of lean muscle can speed up your body's burn of the remaining fat.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Yes - only thing that will help you attain your goal is doing something that fits into your lifestyle. GO FOR IT!

Personally I'm Zumba 2 Wii person with Wii Cardio (boxing).

and welcome ! :smile:

BTW your 14pounds down so it must be working ! :happy:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The Wii is totally real exercise! It gets you moving, and that's what counts. My favorite are the dance games. I lost my first 8 pounds with my only exercise being playing Dance Dance Revolution (that's for Playstation not Wii) and now sometimes my workouts are Zumba on Wii. I also have Wii Fit and EA Active Personal Trainer, which I will play for a workout occasionally. I'm so sore after those sometimes!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    As long as it works you. Personally I gave up with my Wii for exercise. It's designed so that your not allowed to jump on it or else it breaks. I don't break a sweat doing it at all. So I dont really consider it real exercise, like running or lifting heavy weights.

If im going to do something at home I use 30DS, Turbo Fire and I have insanity downloaded. I use my Wii for Mario galaxy and Zelda.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Wii is great for cardio! You can also do c25k
    you will get better results if you incorporate resistence training too

fe
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    or any other form this page http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/workouts/

or http://www.bodyrock.tv/

most of the workouts are done with bodyweight, some rincorporate home cheap equipment
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Where as most of the "original" activities would rate more of a "strength training" exercise because of the additional weight of the gear, implements, racquets, what-have-ya...the Wii version of these activities is definitely some good exercise, just a lot more "cardio" than "strength training". If you actively participate with your Wii, you can definitely get a good workout!

I would recommend turning off the Wii once in a while and picking up some dumbbells, doing some curls, or even doing some calesthenics, pushups, situps, whatever, and some other actual strength training, just to help tone the muscles.

A lot of common household injuries result from people attempting activities for which they do not have the general overall muscle tone to accomplish. A little strength training three times a week goes a long way towards keeping yourself fit...and safe.
  • ncurtis_1030
    Options
    I have Wii Just Dance 3 and EA Sports Active for the PS3, they both are definitely a "real" workout, the Wii dance games (if you really get into it) works your whole body and I can definitely feel it! I do it daily sometimes twice a day and I am always feeling the burn and I can tell its working, it has been the only thing I have been able to afford to do for the past 3 weeks and lost 10 pounds :)
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I use Kinect and wear my HRM when I play.... if you put a lot into it you get a lot out of it! I easily burn 400/500 per hour playing it!! Go for it!
  • helyg
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies - and the welcome!

I have done the cardio workout (which is pretty much like an aerobics session) on myfitnesscoach a couple of times and yes, it works up a sweat and leaves me out of breath! So I guess it must be doing something. 30-60 minutes of wii tennis has the same effect if you really move around and put some work into it. My 8 year old has suggested I try boxing on wii sports next.

I do quite a bit of low level exercise - as well as running around after my children and walking or cycling pretty much everywhere I am a nursery class teacher so am pretty active at work. But I need to do a few more sessions a week of really getting my heart working. I will have a look at weights too, thanks.
  • helyg
    Options
    Oh yes, I've been doing Dance Juniors on the wii with the children too which works up a suprising amount of sweat! I know it is designed for kids, but when you are competing against them (and their never ending supply of bouncing energy) it can be hard work keeping up! :laugh:
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ive lost ALL of my weight (some more weight loss to be recorded tomorrow) via Wii!! It does work, but like any other form of exercise, you have to be persistent! I use the Wii Fit Plus, doing mainly the 30 minute runs and boxing. I do some of the other things and count it as my warmup.
  • aewalk07
    aewalk07 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The best way to see what you are really burning when you play the games is to put a HRM on. I have a Polar FT4 you can get them at Target for about $99. Wither you are walking, at the gym, or playing the wii. It's the best way to know what you are really burning calorie wise. Get your heart rate on target and you burn no matter what you do. Best investment I ever made! I often think MFP over estimates or under estimates on the calories when I log them on here. For example I did the elliptical the other night at the gym, the elliptical had me burning 250 calories, MPF had me only burning 200 something calories, but I was working out hard and the HRM had me burning 400 calories. I only trust the HRM now because it has more truth to it.

exercise is exercise, it's all in the heart rate when you are doing it.
  • Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight doing EA Active Sports 2 on the Playstation, plus Couch to 5k ( and continuing to run after). I got better results in terms of body composition with heavy lifting at the gym (and now at home), but the "game" was certainly real exercise. It was pretty much the same as any Jillian Michaels DVD.

Agreed....
    I love EA Sports Active 2 and it kicks my butt... It's my favorite... I put everything I have into that 30-35 minute and have seen some big changes in a short time... For instance yesterday using EA Sport and my HRM I burned 270 calories in 35 minutes..
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If you're getting your heart rate up, moving around, sweating, and doing calisthenics then it's real exercise. You just won't get the benefit of weight training as well, but it should still tone you a good bit. Besides, if you say you're busy and that's the one thing you have at home, it's better than having absolutely nothing. So just keep using it. :) I do a mix between my xbox kinect your shape fitness and my gym, but I'm also kidless so I have that to make it easier lol.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Oh sure it is :) I love Just Dance 3 on my Wii, gets my HR way up and I work up a huge sweat - but don't notice, cuz it's fun!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think that your wii plan sounds great!