What would you order from this menu?

Options
My boyfriends dragging me along to some work dinner thing - it's at a nice restaurant but I don't know what could be low calorie on the menu. It's called Meat & Wine Co. for anyone who's been.

This is the website:
http://themeatandwineco.com/locations/australia/nsw/darling-harbour/

Or you can jump straight to the menu:
http://themeatandwineco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/a-la-carte-May-20121.pdf

I don't want to draw attention to myself by ordering a salad since it's a meat restaurant (even though I'd go for the Mediterranean Vegetable Salad, yum!) Since I don't know the people, I'd rather not cause a scene.

I also can't stand eating chicken so that's not an option either X)

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! It's so difficult for me to work out which type of meat/skewers/serving style is the lowest in calories.

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Kangaroo is supposedly pretty healthy. I forget which cuts of beef are low in fat, but you can compare them using the food database. I would definitely avoid anything lamb or ribs, as those are high in fat. It's probably better to avoid the sausages and hamburgers, since you don't know what the meat/fat ratio is.
  • Aventuria
    Aventuria Posts: 151
    Options
    You don't want to cause a scene? First and foremost, order what you want and what fits your meal plan and not what the others would like to see you eat! O_o
    I'm a vegetarian and still sometimes go to a steak restaurant. ;-)

The veggie salad sounds good, I'd take something similar.

Have a great day!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Salmon Skewer
    (Temperature recommendation: Medium-Rare)
    Sesame and black pepper crusted pieces of salmon fillet, skewered with onion and char-grilled.
    Served with steamed rice and a sweet chilli and lemon dipping sauce 30

> ask for no rice or sauce, and to be grilled with lemon only...

Fresh Catch

> ask for no rice or sauce, and to be grilled with lemon only...
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love Wagyu or Kobe. I'd get that and a salad. Make up for it the rest of the day.

Ooooo or the fresh catch. I missed that after drooling over the Wagyu. If its not fried.
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ordering a salad will cause a scene? I would assume that this is supposed to be a dining experience as opposed to some military exercise.

It seems you already have decided what you would like- just go for it and order it.

The vague possibility that someone might react negatively to your choices is not really any way to live your life, imo.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    if i was getting an entree i'd go bruschetta. for a main i would have no problem ordering one of the salads, theres three there that sound so good that i'd pick them even if i wasn't dieting, but if you really want an actual main, you could go the mediterranean veggie spears, or the kangaroo (very low in fat), or the salmon skewer, or check out what the fish is.. you've got plenty of options!
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the salmon skewer or veggie salad. Who cares? It's your meal, you get to enjoy it:)

What you could do is call the restaurant in advance and ask them how many ounces are in a serving of whatever you're considering, then calculate calories. The kitchen staff will know as it's all measured to control food costs.
  • OooLaurenooO
    OooLaurenooO Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You don't want to cause a scene? First and foremost, order what you want and what fits your meal plan and not what the others would like to see you eat! O_o
    I'm a vegetarian and still sometimes go to a steak restaurant. ;-)

The veggie salad sounds good, I'd take something similar.

Have a great day!

completely agree..im not an vegetarian but i would personally stick with what goes with my dietry plan..the veggie salad sounds delish..id just stick with that..these people dont know you so just be yourself & enjoy your salad. - have fun!
  • bstall1976
    bstall1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Order what you want. There is no reason to order something that you do not want to appease someone else. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be upset if you ordered your salad. After all there is a reason that it is on the menu, people order and it and enjoy it. I think in this day and age when more and more people are being health conscious you will be surprised by what if any reaction you will get.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    also, i've been a vegetarian for half my life and this place sounds divine!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i think i've heard it all now... ordering a salad is 'causing a scene'!? seriously?!
  • alp1990
    alp1990 Posts: 56
    Options
    I would probably have bruschetta and the chicken burger. But i'd make sure I went for a run earlier in the day :)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Order whatever you want and eat half.
    Take the rest with you or leave it.
    I would not feel weird or guilty or whatever.. if you had allergies then it would be acceptable to order whatever... so tell everyone you are allergic to being fat!
  • omanitshann
    Options
    JUst get the salad, it sounds delicious, who cares what people think?
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I know, unfortunately the people I DO know who are going are very judgemental, loud people. Not my ideal company of choice, but I have no option. To put it plainly, we're Greek - and if you've seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding, you can imagine why ordering a salad would cause a scene, haha.

There's also been a history of jealousy with one girl in particular, over her being overweight and not being able to deal with the fact that I can be healthy and thin(ner than her). So if I ordered a salad, she would most definitely bring it up and all hell would break loose.

If someone else does, I definitely will get a salad though. Thanks, you've all been extremely helpful. I think I'm going to ask more about what comes with the fish.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you eat low fat for the whole day you could just get a 6 OZ Filet or something... steak is high in fat but not that bad on calories I believe it's around 350. Get it with some veggies or a side salad and you have a pretty healthy meal. Also a baked potato might be good since meat is basically carb-less so you'd have a well balanced meal.

But if you want the salad go for it. I don't see that as "causing a scene" AT ALL. I don't think anyone else would... and if they do they're causing a scene not you...

Also it's a nice dinner, if there is something on the menu that maybe isn't all that healthy that you want just get it! We all deserve a night of indulgence.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    i'd eat off the special menu for allergies.. get the gluten free, work with a nice aged beef, lean cut and great grilled veg.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I know, unfortunately the people I DO know who are going are very judgemental, loud people. Not my ideal company of choice, but I have no option. To put it plainly, we're Greek - and if you've seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding, you can imagine why ordering a salad would cause a scene, haha.

There's also been a history of jealousy with one girl in particular, over her being overweight and not being able to deal with the fact that I can be healthy and thin(ner than her). So if I ordered a salad, she would most definitely bring it up and all hell would break loose.

If someone else does, I definitely will get a salad though. Thanks, you've all been extremely helpful. I think I'm going to ask more about what comes with the fish.

OOOOOOH. I see. Completely understood lol. Disregard that part of my last post. My family is Italian and they are the same exact way. The last time we went out my uncle yelled from across the table "Eat some meat ya need some curves especially up top" NO JOKE lol.
  • Garebel
    Garebel Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with Frances - if your portion is large eat half and enjoy your lovely dinner another day for either lunch or dinner. The skewers - chicken and salmon - sound good and will be low calorie. The fresh catch, too. But with this menu, as most, moderation is the key. And the standard glass of water (no ice) with a fresh lemon before eating will help. http://www.livestrong.com/article/318344-warm-water-and-lemon-for-weight-loss/ Save a bite for me!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Order what you want! That's why there's variety on the menu, because we're all different!

Me? I'd have pork belly followed by beef and prawn skewers, all washed down with a delicious bottle of shiraz :drinker:

That's what exercise is for, allowing you to eat what you want :tongue: