Suggest me a exercise to get rid of thigh fat

Options
Hi,
I practise the following exercie schedule on daily basis. Suggest me a particular exercise to reduce the fat in my thigh quickly

Jog @ 5 mph - 10 mins
Walk @ 3.5 mph - 10 mins
Cycling @ 10 mph - 15 mins
Elliptical trainer for 15 mins
Walk @ 2.5 mph - 20 min (home to gym to home)

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well I'll start by saying you can't spot reduce. The fat will come off where it wants to.

BUT th best way to reduce fat is to lift heavy weights. Cardio is not as effective at burning fat. Look into a program like New Rules of Lifting or Stringlifts.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, but you should add some resistance training.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Obviously it varies from person to person, but kettlebells workouts did a good job of simultaneously stripping down and building up my thighs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Run/walk/jog to cosmetic surgeon - get liposuction !!

Seriously you can tone/strengthen/improve muscle definition in one area but you can't tell you body where to burn fat from.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and squat
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My thighs are rather large and I asked a cosmetic surgeon about liposuction and he said that for me, I might get ripples in my skin when he suctioned some of the fat out. He basically said that I have large thighs but that they didn't contain a lot of fat.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would highly advise implementing some weight training into your program. Especially things like squats and lunges. Building muscle will boost your metabolism and make the foods you do eat less likely to end up as body fat. If you can throw some interval training in do it. Try jogging or cycling at a high intensity for one minute followed by 4 minutes at your usual pace. Other than that it all boils down to diet. As far as I know you can't control where fat goes but that really doesn't matter. As long as your eating healthy, building muscle, and doing aerobic exercise the fat will eventually fade away.

Certain hormones (i.e. estrogen and cortisol) will make the body more likely to hold on to body fat. These levels can be reduced by eating small meals regurlarly, limiting caffein intake, and generally trying to reduce stress.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Squats, leg lifts, knee lifts, donkey kicks, grape vines etc with resistant bands will help define the muscles more and giving the appearance of smaller thighs while you lose weight plus it just feels good....keep up the good work! Your doing great!!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The table push away. just push away from the table when you've eaten enough.

Seriously.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Eat 500-700kcal less per day than is required to maintain your current level of thigh fat, or a mixture of increasing your activity and reducing your intake to make this deficit.
  • cortbreth
    cortbreth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wish we could target a specific area, but we truly cannot. No easy way, but work. Cardio will burn fat/calories and can burn fat and calories WHILE you're working out, but adding weight/resistance training for 30 minutes 3 times per week will build muscle in your body. Muscle is what will burn fat and calories even AFTER working out is done; muscle is what will raise your metabolism and continue the burn while you are at rest. Performing a good balance of upper and lower body resistance/weight training is key. Building muscle in your upper body will boost your resting metabolism, BUT DO NOT NEGLECT strength training the largest muscles of the lower body-- training these is what will really give you bang for your buck (i.e., glutes, quads, hamstrings, abs), because these muscles are so large (so building them will produce big changes in your resting metabolism--the amount of fat/calories you continue to burn at rest). Also, my fitness role model, Chalene Johnson says that 80% of how your body looks is a result of what you fuel your body with, 20% is the exercise that you do. Keep up with the cardio you're doing and add weights 3 days per week and you WILL start to notice your clothes fitting better! I'm doing a combination of Turbo Fire, Chalean Extreme, and Brazil Butt Lift (all from Beachbody.com) workouts right now to prepare for my wedding day! You don't have to do these, of course, but for me, it's a great mix of high intensity cardio, heavy weight lifting, and a series of workouts that focuses on building strength in the legs/thighs/butt....and it's working for me. And the interval training is a great calorie burner! Good luck to you, write down your specific goals, and you will see results!

Cortney :)
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Sorry there is no such thing as spot reduction for fat.

I will suggest squats and lunges though (using high reps 12-15 and low weight ...us a weight that is high enough that you can do 12-15 reps but not too easily); I would add 3 sets 3x per week on alternating days (say M-W-F)

The cardio you're doing is great; I too have large thighs I found they trimmed down quite a bit with in line skating and using a ski machine.

Also, do not neglect your upper body just because you are working hard on your lower body. You can get burn extra by doing a large muscle group with a small muscle group (for example squats with arm curls).