wii vs "real" exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you have time in the morning or after the kids go to bed - why not pop in a workout DVD? Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred is a good one and a lot of people here use it. I agree that the Wii is a good tool to use but a workout DVD could help you too and you wouldn't have to go anywhere for that either. :) Good luck to you!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I started by using my Wii but as I've become fitter it doesn't have the same effect on me anymore and I usually use the Wii on days where I'm a bit ill or just don't have the energy. :)

I traded it for my Kinect on Xbox, Dance Central, Zumba and Your Shape games are good exercise. A step up from the Wii. I use these when I can't be bothered with a 'proper' workout and just want something fun.

Other than that I use exercise DVDs (which you could also try as they would also fit in with your lifestyle if you are busy! :) ) and I do strength training at home.
  • cafqueen
    cafqueen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    you have to get just dance 3! the most fun you will ever have working out. even more fun when the kids dance with you. you will sweat, sweat , sweat!
  • thorpy6
    thorpy6 Posts: 48
    Options
    if you're going from a sedentary lifestyle to doing exercise i think the wii is great to prevent injury and ease you in gently. After you become a superhero in the gym it may not have the same effect but its still better than doing nothing.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I loved the wii fit yoga , and the hula hoop kills me. I like the wii because it gives you feedback. I like the wii Zumba as well. I am taking a break and doing the mybarre3 on line for a month..

I also walk a lot.

I wear a nike fuel band so all my exercise calories get recorded on it.

You could do the same thing with a fitbit. With as busy as you are, it might be interesting to set a goal for a day's activity and then see if you need to do more yoga/pilates vs aerobics.
  • csmoore039
    csmoore039 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use the WII all the time plus mix in other forms or exercise. I espeically like the WII ZUMBA. Yes, there are ways to cheat it if you are not trying to get results. I have lost 33 lbs and most of my exercise come from the WII. I started using WII Active last night and thought I was going to die before I got done with round 1 of the 6 week challenge!!! My heart felt like it was going to bust and I was dripping!!! I live about 25 miles from the nearest gyme plus can't afford it!!! I LOVE MY WII!!!!! Not all of the exercises with WII use the balance board. I also agree that some of the games don't seem to get results, but any little movement is a movement!
  • lhorton84
    lhorton84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the wii fit and love it.... Its handy as I also struggle to get out the gym and also theres no monthly fee...

I deffo would say its real exercise , as long as the effort goes in.

I bought the step for the fit board and do the step aerobics too :tongue:
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Girl, I used My Fitness Coach for a while, with that being the only thing I did, I lost 30 some odd pounds. So yes it is exercise!!
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i can burn about 2000 calories on a Saturday playing wii tennis for a few hours. It is fun and it is a workout