What would you order from this menu?

Options
2»

Replies

• AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends dragging me along to some work dinner thing - it's at a nice restaurant but I don't know what could be low calorie on the menu. It's called Meat & Wine Co. for anyone who's been.

This is the website:
    http://themeatandwineco.com/locations/australia/nsw/darling-harbour/

Or you can jump straight to the menu:
    http://themeatandwineco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/a-la-carte-May-20121.pdf

I don't want to draw attention to myself by ordering a salad since it's a meat restaurant (even though I'd go for the Mediterranean Vegetable Salad, yum!) Since I don't know the people, I'd rather not cause a scene.

I also can't stand eating chicken so that's not an option either X)

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! It's so difficult for me to work out which type of meat/skewers/serving style is the lowest in calories.

wow. good luck with trying to find something to eat. there isn't much on there i would choose for myself, but i would actually like to try the kangaroo, simply because i have never had something like that before. I would say, stick with a small piece of lean grass fed beef, with no butter or oil, grilled no extra sides unless you can get grilled or steamed vegetables. and a salad.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    This is what I would order:

An appetizer for my entree like the Prawns or Beef Carpaccio with a side salad (dressing on the side) and one of the vegetable sides (I'd ask for the vegetables without butter or in olive oil and garlic only)

OR

I'd go for the Wagyu Ribeye or Filet (those are great steaks) and get a side salad (dressing on the side) and a vegetable side just steamed (since the beef has fat, I wouldn't go for the olive oil and garlic)

The salmon sounds good as well but if there is Wagyu beef on the menu, I'd go for that or a petite filet.

Good luck and enjoy your dinner :)
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I know, unfortunately the people I DO know who are going are very judgemental, loud people. Not my ideal company of choice, but I have no option. To put it plainly, we're Greek - and if you've seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding, you can imagine why ordering a salad would cause a scene, haha.

There's also been a history of jealousy with one girl in particular, over her being overweight and not being able to deal with the fact that I can be healthy and thin(ner than her). So if I ordered a salad, she would most definitely bring it up and all hell would break loose.

If someone else does, I definitely will get a salad though. Thanks, you've all been extremely helpful. I think I'm going to ask more about what comes with the fish.

OOOOOOH. I see. Completely understood lol. Disregard that part of my last post. My family is Italian and they are the same exact way. The last time we went out my uncle yelled from across the table "Eat some meat ya need some curves especially up top" NO JOKE lol.

OMG, this sounds just like my Italian family. They're food pushers but they'll tell you the second you gain a few pounds!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, and I'm always thrilled to see a restaurant that has a good number of decent vegetarian options! There is one vegetable entree listed in with some of the meats. I don't think you should be concerned about making a scene. If they didn't want people to order something, it wouldn't be on their menu!
  • Natster_uk
    Natster_uk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Deffo Salmon skewer, it's not cooked in butter like some of the other dishes (the chicken). It comes with steamed rice and chilli and lemon sauce, sounds quite low fat!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously unsophisticated or highly untravelled (or maybe both) - but I never even considered kangaroo as a dinner choice... EVER!

(yes, I don't eat deer either!)

I do eat meat. I am not a vegetarian - but had I never eaten meat until I could make the decision for myself -- yeah, I would never have eaten it... animals are too cute to eat.

Throw things at me. Tell me I'm being unrealistic in a childish sort of way... fine. I still FEEL it.

Am I a hypocrit by eating meat? Absolutely. I have to deal with that.
  • skinnyone2012
    skinnyone2012 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Being Paleo, I would simply order any kind of lean meat with some salad and steamed veggies
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    I think the Mediterranean Vegetable Spears sound lovely! x
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Did no one do the conversion to see that you only weigh 94 lbs??
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I'm a Greek salad junkie, so i would get that with some grilled chicken thrown in the mix. It's defintely filling for me!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    there is also a dietary requirement/allergy menu - i would go for that -....

kangaroo is VERY VERY lean
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Did no one do the conversion to see that you only weigh 94 lbs??

Just for anyone who didn't believe the reaction one gets when they're thin and want to order something healthier on a menu! ;)
  • driaxx
    Options
    I know, unfortunately the people I DO know who are going are very judgemental, loud people. Not my ideal company of choice, but I have no option. To put it plainly, we're Greek - and if you've seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding, you can imagine why ordering a salad would cause a scene, haha.

There's also been a history of jealousy with one girl in particular, over her being overweight and not being able to deal with the fact that I can be healthy and thin(ner than her). So if I ordered a salad, she would most definitely bring it up and all hell would break loose.

If someone else does, I definitely will get a salad though. Thanks, you've all been extremely helpful. I think I'm going to ask more about what comes with the fish.

OOOOOOH. I see. Completely understood lol. Disregard that part of my last post. My family is Italian and they are the same exact way. The last time we went out my uncle yelled from across the table "Eat some meat ya need some curves especially up top" NO JOKE lol.

OMG, this sounds just like my Italian family. They're food pushers but they'll tell you the second you gain a few pounds!

Hahahah! I believe it, I know! Can never please the family especially. You can't understand unless you come from a background like ours! Lol
  • driaxx
    Options
    I'm obviously unsophisticated or highly untravelled (or maybe both) - but I never even considered kangaroo as a dinner choice... EVER!

(yes, I don't eat deer either!)

I do eat meat. I am not a vegetarian - but had I never eaten meat until I could make the decision for myself -- yeah, I would never have eaten it... animals are too cute to eat.

Throw things at me. Tell me I'm being unrealistic in a childish sort of way... fine. I still FEEL it.

Am I a hypocrit by eating meat? Absolutely. I have to deal with that.

Kangaroos quite common here in Australia but to be honest I've never tried it. If I'm game enough, it's a very good choice as many people have mentioned, really lean!

Hmm...I think each to their own. I admire vegetarians and even though I'll only eat meat around once or twice a month I still couldn't cut it out entirely, that's just me (unfortunately).
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your post is really interesting, esp about the Greek family!

To be honest, with these events, I think I eat the nerves and it has a lot less to do with what other people think.

I have found that, if I eat smaller portions during the day, get some extra exercise in (ie an extra mile/20 mins), and maybe a bit extra the next day, you can do that thing of 'joining in'.

Im from an Irish background, and find, if you look like you are having a great time, people wont cause scenes... but they are ruthless with any nervousness, including nibbly eating. Even being a quiet smiler seems to keep extended family happy.. Statements like 'fantastic food' seem to work wonders even if you cant eat the 'mansized portion, yummy and all as it is'.

I think these cultures like to see that we are enjoying our food (even if we dont eat all of it). People seem to take insult if we look unhappy in any way

Finally, my man is my beloved bin. If my portion size is too big, he ll often eat the left overs. (And hes a beanpole)
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    my coach tells me that if you have one blowout in a week, it won't make too much difference, if you do it twice, you probably won't lose that week, and if you do it a third time, then you'll gain.

so one meal is not going to break you. enjoy yourself, eat moderately and don't stress :)