i feel depressed.....

Options
Im having one of those moments where i just want to cry...maybe because i thought i was doing so well when i went on my trip and then the scale had gone up 2 pounds. I know tomorrows weigh in is not going to be a loss in pounds. It sucks because iv made so many adjustments and turned so many things down this week to be a good girl.
I had 3 people tell me in the last week i look like iv lost weight and its only been 2 weeks....either these ppl have heard me say im dieting or its because i lightened my hair.....
I pay for a gym membership and it makes me so sad to know that i cant use it because i spend about 50 hours a week at work...

Has anybody in here lost a good amount of weight without working out?
What do you do the day before your weigh in to help it? I thought about drinking lots of water but what if it stays in my system?

Maybe i am just going to be overweight the rest of my life.....
I have been trying for 3 years to be under 200 and its not happening. I go and get blood work and everything comes back normal...im so sad i work so hard and there is a chance ill never get to be hapy.

Sorry and thank you for reading.

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Do not fear! And don't get discouraged! We will all experience set backs. Can you lose weight just by dieting, perhaps, but you won't obtain that goal of OVERALL health. Just being skinny doesn't mean you are healthy! Just try to remember that this is a process. You didn't gain the weight in one day and you certainly can't expect it to come of that quickly either. A gain on the scale doesn't necessarily mean you are getting fat. Try to stay encouraged through this process. You can do it! It's just going to take time!
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    is it close to 'that time of the month' or has it just passed? that can cause a 2-3 pound flux

in any case... don't look at the small picture... look at the bigger one... eating healthier, living healthier

keep rolling on!
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I try not to get on the scale too much and just judge how my clothes feel. Easier said that done. Do you have a Wii in your house? There are lots of games that you can do instead of going to the gym. I had a gym membership but the gym was 20 mins away and I stopped going. I bought a wii and the wii fit plus. Now to work out I just go to my living room. Try to find things that you can do at work to burn some calories. I have to sit at a desk all day and I get no excercise at work. If you have stairs go climb those at lunch. Don't beat yourself up over 2 lbs. It can make you feel defeated and you will quit. It's so much easier for me to help someone else than it is to help myself I think. You CAN do this!!!
  • alisahinzman
    Options
    Don't feel bad, we all gain weight even when we think we are doing "so well"!
    And if people are saying things, it's because they notice! Just because you aren't seeing the "weight" on the scale, doesn't mean that your overall appearance isn't better! Your appearance has to do with more than just your weight - it's how you present yourself, your attitude towards yourself and in general, and that healthy glow of energy about you! Nothing is accomplished without a few set backs... Rome wasn't built in a day, nor has it fallen in a day - it takes time. But as long as you are striving to be a healthier you, then THAT's what's important!!! And that should be what keeps you going, that you WANT to be healther (which MAY make you skinnier) and that you WANT to be able to keep up with your kids, and when your older your Grand kids, and that you WANT to look like that HOT cougar momma! lol
    Keep it trucking, you can DO this! :)
  • hmjw42
    hmjw42 Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't give up! You're doing awesome! It's not uncommon to gain a few pounds when you first begin working out. That's muscle mass! It will take some time for the ratios to switch, but soon enough you'll start shedding pounds and getting more toned. Weight isn't the only component of being thin and healthy. You should also keep track of your body fat percentage. That tends to be the true indicator of progress.
    Stick with it and remember that we are all here to help!
  • Mandillynn
    Options
    Water can help with the loss of water weight, especially if you've never drank water everyday. My first week of counting... I lost those 6 lbs you see on that ticker. All I did was cut out ALL soda, and drink nothing but water. I drink my 8+ servings a day. If you drink 4 20 oz bottles of water, that's 10 servings right there. Drink it throughout the day... and obviously not all at once. I'm telling you... that drastic change helped with that water weight. I know it's going to be slower now as I diet, but it's nice to also lose that inch off my waist too... lol!

lukasmac has a point too. It's almost that time of the month for me :blushing: , and I gained a pound. You will always have a little extra water weight during this time, regardless of how much water you drink.

Hang in there girl!! It's not an easy road for a lot of us, but once you get your rhythm... it starts to get easier.
  • djanssen
    Options
    Try not to get too depressed. I just joined this site today thinking that maybe some extra support would be what I needed to give me that extra boost. Maybe somebody looking over my shoulder watching me....keeping me in line...lol It took me about a year to loose 70 lbs. I was soooo happy. I was the at the lowest weight I had been in since before I had kids! I swore I would never put it back on. I had about another 10-15 to go and then I figured I'd be happy. Well I ended up putting about 15 back on. Not what I intended. It's very depressing. So here I am. I didn't exercise very much when loosing the first 70 lbs., but knew that in order to tone up and loose the rest I would have to start some sort of exercise program. I joined a gym and was doing pretty good.....then came knee surgery. Another set back. My knees are finally better and to the point that I can start exercising some again. It's hard for me to get motivated and stick with things like that though. I just have to get back on track with my eating habits and be more active. Rather than focus on our failures, we have to look at today as a new start and pick ourselves up again and start over. You CAN do it. It's not gonna be easy and won't happen over night, but it really can be done. I'm living proof! I never thought I'd be at this weight. I still have a ways to go, but hang in there and we will all get through this together! If you need a friendly pick-me-up....just hollar! :)
  • DTFaaron
    Options
    you're posting touched my girlfriend and i. thank you for sharing such a personal part of you. Every time I weigh myself I'm so worried that I will gain weight or not lose weight. I feel your pain. Just keep chipping at it. Keep working. maybe step it up a notch on the calorie burning.
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Im taking water pills and its not that time of month it was the first week and even then it went down 7 lbs....:noway:
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you work at a desk? Is there something you can do during those hours? My husband is a programmer and therefore will always be working at a desk. A few months back he decided to get a 'fitness orb' (name that show) aka exercise ball to keep at work. He sits on it for a couple hours each day and keeps it under his desk when not in use. It might be one of a few things you could incorporate into your day to help you get in shape. You could google some simple moves you can do on the ball while you type or read, talk on the phone.

Oh, and I remember reading about a woman who burned calories and kept her arms in good shape by doing 25 push-ups every day before getting in the shower. (I tried it and got to 3 before my arms started shaking! lol But I'm going to work at it.)

The little things can add up. Hope that helps!
  • rori20
    rori20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the way you feel. Today I was practically ready to give up. I'm 2 lbs heavier than I was at the start, too. I've felt as if I don't have the willpower needed to stay within my 1200 calorie intake. And on that note, it feels so restrictive. I get VERY down when I eat very well for breakfast and lunch and yet somehow don't have enough calories left for anything more than a salad for dinner. I feel like I can't do it. I haven't fully logged my calories or exercised for two days.

Also my husband stopped watching what he eats and that has made it harder for me. I do have a very good support group here, though, and a friend that is doing this with me, so maybe I'll just try to take things one day at a time. I have made some slight changes and hopefully those will lead to bigger ones.

There are quite a few video game weight-loss options. Check into Dance Dance Revolution. It's a ton of fun and once you get he rhythm of it you can burn a lot of calories (I recently burned over 1,000 in a little over an hour of playing). Also if you have a Netflix capable device like a PS3 or certain DVD players there are workout videos available on Instant Play.

Let's not give up.
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    IM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP EVEN THOUGH I DID EVERYTHING RIGHT THIS WEEK AND GAINED 2 POUNDS.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    Girl... why don't you just consider you lost 5 pounds the first week (which is increadibly good !!!) and stayed there this week ? That's not too bad said this way, is it ?

Maybe you just ate a little more salt in the last 2 days and you are hanging the water.

Don't get discourage and keep focusing on developing an healthier lifestyle, you can do it !
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Dont give up!! It took years to put the weight on it is not going to come off overnight! I know you know this but sometimes you have to be reminded. (at least I do)....
    I dont know your family at home situation but there has to be a way you can get some exercise - Im not saying you have to full out pure sweat workout ...can you get up early and go before work 1 day a week? Can you go for a walk another day during lunch? Can you go after work one day? Can you plan to do something on the weekends...that would give you 4 or 5 days of exercise....it can be walking or at the gym full out sweat. You have to make you a priority or else the weight wont come off. good luck
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    IM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP EVEN THOUGH I DID EVERYTHING RIGHT THIS WEEK AND GAINED 2 POUNDS.

GIRL! Shake it off and keep going. Keep doing what you are doing and know it doesn't happen overnight and for some people it doesn't happen for weeks. Although it is motivation to see lots people on this site losing quickly or large amounts of weight...don't let that be your discouragement either. Don't let your sister discourage you and don't let the scale discourage you. DO NOT GIVE UP....you will feel worse about yourself if you do! Stay focused!
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I looked at your stats and your goal says you want to be under 200 by Mid April. That is so doable! Just stick with it and don't give up!!! Even though it seems so hard, just think if you didn't stick with it? You would gain back the weight and feel worse. If you gain-so what. That's what happens...our bodies are so eccentric when it comes to weight loss....sometimes it doesn't want to let go...but EVENTUALLY IT WILL!!! Hang in there...your doing great!
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Water can help with the loss of water weight, especially if you've never drank water everyday. My first week of counting... I lost those 6 lbs you see on that ticker. All I did was cut out ALL soda, and drink nothing but water. I drink my 8+ servings a day. If you drink 4 20 oz bottles of water, that's 10 servings right there. Drink it throughout the day... and obviously not all at once. I'm telling you... that drastic change helped with that water weight. I know it's going to be slower now as I diet, but it's nice to also lose that inch off my waist too... lol!

lukasmac has a point too. It's almost that time of the month for me :blushing: , and I gained a pound. You will always have a little extra water weight during this time, regardless of how much water you drink.

Hang in there girl!! It's not an easy road for a lot of us, but once you get your rhythm... it starts to get easier.

Mandi - I'm with you on the time of the month thing...I am dreading my WI but I know it's a process. If I gain, oh well...I just keep going because I know it takes time!
  • inkaddict
    Options
    This might sound really stupid but, when I get really depressed because my weight hasn't moved, it's usually because I need to poop or something.

Umm, are you PMSing? Retaining water?
    Take a water pill and you'll drop a lb or two and when you see that on the scale, even though it's only water weight, it will lift your spirits and motivate you again.

Weight loss doesn't happen overnight you know, be patient! As long as you are sticking to your plan, and following MFP for your calories and calories burned, you will prevail.
  • inkaddict
    Options
    And even if you are working 50 hours a week at work, use your lunch break to work out, or let your family/loved ones know that you MUST make time for yourself, at all costs. If they love you they will support you.
  • Noble01
    Options
    Oh my gosh, it's only been 2 weeks, don't be so hard on yourself or you will fail. I hired a personal trainer 3 years ago, worked out for 6 months and didn't lose even one pound. The trainer told me she thought I was in starvation mode. My new Dr has confirmed I was. I am now eating 5 small meals per day, I'm NEVER hungry, and I have no cravings. Try EatCleanDiet.com for guidelines. It's working for me. I quit a bad diet cola habit 5-6 per day, went through withdrawal, but feel great now. It's only been 2 weeks but this is the first time in years that I have lost weight. I now drink water instead of cola. If you need flavour, add lemon, it's also helps to clean out your system.

I work 50plus hours per week so I understand how frustrated you feel. Yet, I've lost 7 lbs these first 2 weeks. I'm on track to lose at least 1 lb per week, I have 43 pounds to go.but am optimistic that I can do this successfully.

I've put up a few boundaries at work. Wednesday night I belly dance and that means I have to leave work at 5:30, & no later than 6pm. I just leave and don't attend any meetings that night. It's mine. I love the class, and my waist is whittling!

I find ways to walk, when it's really cold in the winter the hallways are my treadmill, throw in a few stairs and it's a great 10-15 minute no sweat workout. I keep a light pair of flat soft soled shoes I can slip on for my wanderings. It's a great way to run into friends I haven't seen for a while. On weekends I mall walk, a great way to see all those fashions I want to fit into! I can't wait for spring so I can get outside to walk without worrying about ice and snow.

Magnesium is a great mood booster, I take 5 capsules every morning. VitD is my other lifesaver. We need more in our diet. Go girl Go! You can do this.