P90x Nutrition and MFP Net Calories

Options
Hi all,

I have just ordered P90X and plan to start next week but I am just trying to get my head around the nutrition side of things. I am female, 27, 5'4" and 118lbs looking to mainly tone and get body fat % to around 20% (currently around 23%ish but not got my calipers yet)

Using the calculations in the P90X nutrition manual I come out with:
118 x 10 = 1180 (RMR)
1180 x 20% = 236 (daily activity burn)
1180 + 236 + 600 = 2016

Which would put me in the Level 1 - 1800 calorie bracket

Now on the other hand calculating my BMR with Mifflin St. Joer equation comes up with a BMR of 1255
And my calculation of TDEE is 2304 based on heavy exercise 6-7 days per week or 2070 based on moderate 3-5

So if I work with the lower TDEE figure am I right in thinking that would mean a 270 daily calorie deficit if I stuck to the 1800 calorie nutrition plan?

So then should I be taking in 1800 calories or 1800 NET calories? Because I think if I have worked it out right 1800 calories would come to say 1400 net (based on a rough 400 calories burned per workout)?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I hadn't expected to be this confused by it!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bump to respond .
  • dmb2002man
    Options
    Hi all,

I have just ordered P90X and plan to start next week but I am just trying to get my head around the nutrition side of things. I am female, 27, 5'4" and 118lbs looking to mainly tone and get body fat % to around 20% (currently around 23%ish but not got my calipers yet)

Using the calculations in the P90X nutrition manual I come out with:
    118 x 10 = 1180 (RMR)
    1180 x 20% = 236 (daily activity burn)
    1180 + 236 + 600 = 2016

Which would put me in the Level 1 - 1800 calorie bracket

Now on the other hand calculating my BMR with Mifflin St. Joer equation comes up with a BMR of 1255
    And my calculation of TDEE is 2304 based on heavy exercise 6-7 days per week or 2070 based on moderate 3-5

So if I work with the lower TDEE figure am I right in thinking that would mean a 270 daily calorie deficit if I stuck to the 1800 calorie nutrition plan?

So then should I be taking in 1800 calories or 1800 NET calories? Because I think if I have worked it out right 1800 calories would come to say 1400 net (based on a rough 400 calories burned per workout)?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I hadn't expected to be this confused by it!

I do p90x hybrid schedule with insanity. I am 5'9, 165lbs, 32 years old and looking to get in the 12% body fat. My cal intake is set to 1700 based on myfitnesspal. I usually burn between 500-1000 cals but it depends which disc i am doing. I dont think the cal number count has to be perfect but just eat a well diet. Lots of greens, fruit, vegetables, lean meats, protein, water. Eat around 6 times per day rather than 3 big meals. I hope this helps a little. I honestly think you burn more than 400 in the p90x videos if you push. I mean the first disc you do pushups and pullups for the hour and ab ripper x on the end. P90x is a no joke program and takes alot of dedication.
  • madmish00
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I eat quite healthy most days already. I usually come in between 1400-1800 calories (total intake not net). I estimates 400 calories as a daily burn average over the week. I expect I would burn e.g more in plyo and less in yoga so though this would be about the average.

I think I would really struggle to stick with the nutrition plan to the letter and I know I would struggle to get 1800 net calories without adding significantly more carbs than the plan suggests
  • skinnyminni1985
    Options
    Ive been doing P90X off about 4 times a week for the last 3 weeks, hardcore program but a seriously great workout. I am the same stats as you (although my weight is a bit higher!) so am also in the 1800 bracket. Im not following the diet plan religiously, just eating lots of protein, veg etc and minimum on the carbs. I only really scanned through the nutrition book but im pretty sure that it says the workouts have been taken into account when working out the cals, so you should be aiming for 1800 a day (not net). As im only doing it 3-4 times a week, i just make sure on my non workout days i stay nearer the 1400 mark as im not exercising (but I'll be honest i struggle sometimes to get to 1800 on workout days - protein shakes help!)

Hope that helps! :)
  • dmb2002man
    Options
    Protein should be your good friend on the workout days. I'm usually pushing between 100-150 grams of protein daily with eating real food. I am not big on supplements. If your only looking to lose a few then that is very doable if you stick to the program. Today my whole body is sore and im in week 3 of the hybrid schedule and I have p90x tonight + insanity abs. When you first do the ab ripper x, you probably won't be able to complete the whole disk but make sure you push and try. Instead of doing 25 for each, do 5 to start so you can get through the disk. Just remember its quality and not quantity. Feel free to add me as a friend on here and we can communicate back to keep each other motivated.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The 1800 calories is TOTAL, not net. The nutrition plan accounts for the exercise burn already. Some days of the plan will burn more than others, so it will all average out. That being said, it would be best if you manually change MFP to reflect the 1800 calorie goal and either not log the exercise, or put the exercise in as 1 calorie burned (this is what I do).

*On a side note, we have similar stats...I am 27, 5'4 and 112#. Currently I just started phase 1 of P90X-2 AGAIN (yes, I loved it that much) and am following the macro breakdown of 50 protein/25 fat and carbs just for 3 weeks. Since I am not looking to lose weight, I decided to aim for a calorie goal of 2000 (this may increase depending on how my body reacts). You could easily do the same, although I admit getting in 250g of protein is rough! But it is a short term macro breakdown...so if the "fat shredder" phase doesn't work, you could do the energy booster (40 carb/30 fat and protein) and still lose body fat with the X program.

Good luck!!!
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The TDEE is already factoring in the P90X exercises that you do so you'd have to eat 2070 calories to maintain your current weight while doing those exercises.

So you'd be eating 1800 TOTAL (assuming you do no other exercises besides P90X).

For P90X I wouldn't log it as heavy exercise though. Moderate sounds more accurate.
  • madmish00
    Options
    Really helpful replies.

I think I can manage 1800 calories total. That's a helpful tip about logging the exercise as 1 cal so that it doesn't deduct and look like I have loads of calories still to eat. I think I'm probably going to go with the 40/40/20 energy booster phase and see how I get on because I have always struggled with energy on low carb plans.

Any recommendations for recovery drinks etc would be helpful. Also my gym instructor recommended Glutamine post workout to me a while back so would be interested to hear if this does actually assist in reducing DOMS. I currently do aerobics, body pump, yoga and circuit training and do tend to feel sore most days so with all the extra strength training with P90X I'm willing to try anything that will help reduce this!
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Really helpful replies.

I think I can manage 1800 calories total. That's a helpful tip about logging the exercise as 1 cal so that it doesn't deduct and look like I have loads of calories still to eat. I think I'm probably going to go with the 40/40/20 energy booster phase and see how I get on because I have always struggled with energy on low carb plans.

Any recommendations for recovery drinks etc would be helpful. Also my gym instructor recommended Glutamine post workout to me a while back so would be interested to hear if this does actually assist in reducing DOMS. I currently do aerobics, body pump, yoga and circuit training and do tend to feel sore most days so with all the extra strength training with P90X I'm willing to try anything that will help reduce this!

Since you're trying to lose some fat and get in better shape I'd recommend a more well known maco-nutrient spread. Backed by Science!

118g protein (480 to 590 cals)
    59g fat (530 cals)
    170g to 198g Carb (680 to 790 cals)

Protein can range from 4 to 6 calories per gram so that's why the calories range. Fat is 9 calories per gram. Carbs are 4 calories per gram.

You get in your total body weight in protein, 1/2 your body weight in fat and fill in the rest with carb.
    (this is for 1800 calories though. Any more exercise and you'd just eat more carb leaving protein and fats as constants.)