Harder to Lose in my 30's!

Options
124»

Replies

• tr33p1g
    tr33p1g Posts: 85
    Options
    When I turned 30 it was like someone hit a button which made me put on weight, only problem is I'm not sure where the button is to switch it back off ;)
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 it's even worst!
  • venusinprogress
    venusinprogress Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, add me. Im 50 next Jan and I have found it difficult. I have Fibromyalgia and other probs. and can only exercise as and when. I need a lot of rest and if I try to do too much (like I did when I started) my immune system gets too low, Fibro gets more painful and sleep gets less. Have been ill the past 3 weeks but just started swimming for 30 mins x3 per week. Also biking 60 mins x3 and trying to do yoga x2. Gonna see if this, and cutting down on carbs, makes a difference. I did lose 14lbs, but have put back 7lbs. Felt really down, but realise I must listen to my body and take things easy. I plan to add in couch25k and bodycombat when I'm alot fitter (and lighter). For now i'll just do what I can. Any wieght (or inches lost) is a bonus. I'm going to keep at it.

Jenny
  • cecejoy
    cecejoy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yup...I'm having a hard time with it as well...I dropped some weight and slowly it started coming back (probably because I fell off the wagon)...now I'm starting to get back on it.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I'm 35 and its SO HARD to lose these last 30lbs that I've gained. In my 20s it was SO MUCH easier! One good thing about being in my 30s is I'm much more confident and okay with myself and less will to go to extreme measures. So that is a positive for sure :)
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I heard that it's definitely harder to lose weight after 30. I'm turning 30 in a few months, and wanted to get down to my goal weight range before I turn 30 (which I have done). It's not impossible to lose weight after 30, it just takes more work. Keep on working hard, and I'm sure you will see results. :-)
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way for years and years...until I joined MFP. I thought I would never get back to my goal, and with MFP I did!!! I'm 35!
  • helper3
    helper3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ug, try 52 ! Lol They say its the hormones!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    your metabolism doesn't slow down as you get older, you just become less active. if you did the exact same as you did when you were a teenager/twenties you would lose the same amount of wieight. I'm in my 30's now and want to lose some weight. is it harder than when i was younger, yes but it's because i have more responsibilities and less free time to do it. but i'm getting there just need to give it time

Yes, metabolism does slow with age. There are things you can do to counteract it, but you will have to do more than when you were younger. Webmd has a good article about aging and weight.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-after-40

Excerpt
    Even if you're sitting or lying down while reading this article, your body is still burning calories; the rate at which it does so is called your resting metabolic rate. As you age, your metabolism tends to decelerate by about 5% for every decade of life past age 40, so that if your resting metabolic rate is, say, 1,200 calories per day at age 40, it will be around 1,140 at age 50.

"At age 40 to maintain your weight, that is to not gain weight, you're going to have to eat 100 calories less a day, and that has nothing to do with anything other than the natural course of aging. That means your resting metabolic rate," Madelyn Fernstrom, PhD, director of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Weight Management Center and associate director of the UPMC Nutrition Center in Pittsburgh, tells WebMD.
  • Nicoleholmes2
    Nicoleholmes2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am in the same boat in my 20's it was so easy! Now at 37 it takes weeks to lose so little that I get discouraged! You can add me as a friend and we can encourage each other!