Crystal Light

Options
I LOVE Crystal Light but it gives me canker sores like crazy. Even if I brush my teeth 3 times a day.
The only other person I know with this problem is my dad.
Regular raw fruit doesn't do this, only Crystal Light...

Does anyone else have this issue?
Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this?
Are there any other low-calorie powdered mix flavors that don't cause this?

Thanks for your help!
Heather

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: there is a lot of evidence that artificial sweeteners aren't very healthy.......maybe this is a good time to switch to unsweetened herb tea or plain water :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • missykaye1975
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: there is a lot of evidence that artificial sweeteners aren't very healthy.......maybe this is a good time to switch to unsweetened herb tea or plain water :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I agree....I stopped using Crystal Light due to the negative things I was learning about aspartame. I thought my kids would throw a fit, but they are getting used to drinking lots of water like I do, and that makes me feel good! I used to get a lot of canker sores, and now that you mention it, I haven't had any for a while....I wonder if that's what was causing them in the first place???....interesting.... I used to buy lots of things that had aspartame in it--yogurt, jell-o, etc., and got rid of them all. Now I just use natural sweeteners like Xylitol or Stevia. Take care! :happy:
  • inkaddict
    Options
    All very good tips! Thank you both!
    I do drink alot of unsweetened herbal tea. But I like to have something cold to drink in the gym. I whine about how I don't like plain water but you know, I think I just need to buck up and drink it plain and stop complaining! haha!
    :-)
    Sounds like it might be about time I read up on aspartame too.
  • bambi5014
    Options
    I put a splash of Minute Maid Pomegranate Tea (only 40 calories for 8 oz., so a splash or two is probably less than 10 calories) into my big water bottle and it helps. I also drink a bottle or two of flavored Propel water. Its only 20 calories per bottle and has antioxidants.
  • Kati_Marie
    Options
    A few years ago I did a research on aspartame and it is absolutely horrible for you...

It's a really hard change due to most things that are sugar free have it in them, but extremely worth it. I actually get really bad headaches when I have anything with it in them.

I have yet to try this but someone told me to put cucumber slices in my water because it gives it a really fresh taste.

Hope this helps a little.

Kati
  • jpscott
    Options
    I find it difficult to say this without sounding mean spirited to the other posters but I mean no disrespect to anyone. I hope I will not offend anyone with my statements.

Having said that, there is no credible evidence that any artificial sweetener is unsafe.

In the 70’s saccharin got a bad rap because a study indicated that it caused bladder cancer in MALE rats. As a result the FDA proposed a ban of saccharin in 1977. It was years before the real truth came out. The real truth was that male rats have a genetic predisposition to bladder cancer because of urinary proteins that are not present in female rats or humans. That study and several others have been reviewed a number of times over the years until in 1991 the FDA formally withdrew its 1977 proposal to ban the use of saccharin, and in 2000, Congress repealed the law requiring saccharin products to carry health warning labels.

Today the focus seems to be on aspartame. You can easily find a lot of information (misinformation) claiming that aspartame is unsafe. However, if you pay attention to the sources of such information, you will start to notice that the sources saying that artificial sweeteners are unsafe want to sell you products, usually detox products. On the other hand, if you look at more credible sources such as the American Heart Association, the Mayo Clinic, the National Cancer Institute, the Food and Drug Administration and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences they will all say that artificial sweeteners are safe.

As a side note I should point out that aspartame is unsafe for people with a rare disorder known as phenylketonuria (PKU), who are unable to metabolize phenylalanine.

Just remember that message forums such as this one are often rife with misinformation. That’s not to say everything here or on other forums is bad or wrong. There is a lot of very good advice in the forums of this site, but please understand that you are getting opinions (including mine) and not facts in most cases. Many times posters are simply repeating something they heard or read without doing any due diligence before passing it on. That is unfortunate because in almost every case the comments are well meaning and they believe what they pass on to be true, but again it’s just so easy to get misinformation. Often they will draw on personal experience. Statements will often be based on assumptions such as having a particular symptom when using a particular product. Perhaps they do have a reaction. Perhaps they are more sensitive to an additive than most others, etc. However, such statements are erroneous at best. They assign causal results with little information. For example, how can one be sure that aspartame is the cause of any given symptom when they do not consider other likely compounds such as butylated hydroxyanisole (bha), soy, phenylalanine, potassium citrate etc. All of which are in Crystal Light. All of which some people have sensitivities or allergies to.

As I said this is only my opinion and you don’t have to (and you shouldn’t) take my word for it. If something is of concern to you, do all the research you can and decide for yourself. Just remember to consider the source and its credibility. Regarding artificial sweeteners I offer the following:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4447

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56064

As you ponder whether you feel artificial sweeteners are right for you consider this: The comments you received about unsweetened tea and plain water are definitely excellent advice. I would highly recommend them both, especially the water. Water is so important in a healthy diet and in weight loss. Take it from me. I used to drink 12 to 20 cans of soda each day. When my 5’ 9” frame reached 220 lbs. I decided enough was enough. I initially replaced soda with Crystal Light because, like you, I just couldn’t stand plain water. I worked to drink more water and as time went on I was able to drink more and more. I still drink 2 or 3 glasses of Crystal Light every day, but I also drink a gallon and a half of water every day. I can’t tell you what a huge difference it made simply removing from my diet all that sugar that came from the soda. Even on the low end of my range 12 cans times 140 calories / 39 grams of sugar equals 1680 calories / 468 grams of sugar every day. Then add to that all the poor food choices I was making and I was easily exceeding 4500 calories every day. I look back and wonder why I wasn’t 420 lbs instead of 220.

To your original question, I do not have any issues with canker sores but I have noticed that Lemonade Crystal Light burns my throat slightly. Other flavors do not. I’m curious, what flavors you drink?

Good luck and I say if you want to have a couple of glasses of Crystal Light at the gym then go for it, just be sure and get as much water as you can stand each day as well.
  • my2boystx
    Options
    I too get canker sores from Crystal Light and other stuff with artificial sweetener!
  • missykaye1975
    Options

Just remember that message forums such as this one are often rife with misinformation. That’s not to say everything here or on other forums is bad or wrong. There is a lot of very good advice in the forums of this site, but please understand that you are getting opinions (including mine) and not facts in most cases. Many times posters are simply repeating something they heard or read without doing any due diligence before passing it on. That is unfortunate because in almost every case the comments are well meaning and they believe what they pass on to be true, but again it’s just so easy to get misinformation. Often they will draw on personal experience. Statements will often be based on assumptions such as having a particular symptom when using a particular product. Perhaps they do have a reaction. Perhaps they are more sensitive to an additive than most others, etc. However, such statements are erroneous at best. They assign causal results with little information. For example, how can one be sure that aspartame is the cause of any given symptom when they do not consider other likely compounds such as butylated hydroxyanisole (bha), soy, phenylalanine, potassium citrate etc. All of which are in Crystal Light. All of which some people have sensitivities or allergies to.

....hmmmm.......I'm sure the OP is certainly able to think for herself and understands that when she asks a question on a forum such as this, she will be getting different perspectives from people AND their personal experiences. I thought the whole point of a forum WAS to share personal experiences and opinions. I dare say that if we were to stop doing that there would be complete SILENCE. .....and as for "scientific facts".....if I was to depend solely on what the "more informed", "well educated" population would tell me and not think for myself, then I would STILL be drugged up on 6 different "FDA approved" medications and 20 lbs. and 10% body fat heavier. "Scientific fact" is funny to me sometimes, because it always seems to be changing--why is that? In my opinion - yes, it's an opinion - if you cannot pronounce what is going into your body, you might be better off to stay away from it. Sorry....but that post struck a bit of a nerve with me. If my doctor tells me it's "okay", then it should be "okay" and just blindly follow, right??! .....not always so....again, personal experience. :wink:
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to say this without sounding mean spirited to the other posters but I mean no disrespect to anyone. I hope I will not offend anyone with my statements.

Having said that, there is no credible evidence that any artificial sweetener is unsafe.

In the 70’s saccharin got a bad rap because a study indicated that it caused bladder cancer in MALE rats. As a result the FDA proposed a ban of saccharin in 1977. It was years before the real truth came out. The real truth was that male rats have a genetic predisposition to bladder cancer because of urinary proteins that are not present in female rats or humans. That study and several others have been reviewed a number of times over the years until in 1991 the FDA formally withdrew its 1977 proposal to ban the use of saccharin, and in 2000, Congress repealed the law requiring saccharin products to carry health warning labels.

Today the focus seems to be on aspartame. You can easily find a lot of information (misinformation) claiming that aspartame is unsafe. However, if you pay attention to the sources of such information, you will start to notice that the sources saying that artificial sweeteners are unsafe want to sell you products, usually detox products. On the other hand, if you look at more credible sources such as the American Heart Association, the Mayo Clinic, the National Cancer Institute, the Food and Drug Administration and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences they will all say that artificial sweeteners are safe.

As a side note I should point out that aspartame is unsafe for people with a rare disorder known as phenylketonuria (PKU), who are unable to metabolize phenylalanine.

As I said this is only my opinion and you don’t have to (and you shouldn’t) take my word for it. If something is of concern to you, do all the research you can and decide for yourself. Just remember to consider the source and its credibility. Regarding artificial sweeteners I offer the following:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4447

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56064

As you ponder whether you feel artificial sweeteners are right for you consider this: The comments you received about unsweetened tea and plain water are definitely excellent advice. I would highly recommend them both, especially the water. Water is so important in a healthy diet and in weight loss. Take it from me. I used to drink 12 to 20 cans of soda each day. When my 5’ 9” frame reached 220 lbs. I decided enough was enough. I initially replaced soda with Crystal Light because, like you, I just couldn’t stand plain water. I worked to drink more water and as time went on I was able to drink more and more. I still drink 2 or 3 glasses of Crystal Light every day, but I also drink a gallon and a half of water every day. I can’t tell you what a huge difference it made simply removing from my diet all that sugar that came from the soda. Even on the low end of my range 12 cans times 140 calories / 39 grams of sugar equals 1680 calories / 468 grams of sugar every day. Then add to that all the poor food choices I was making and I was easily exceeding 4500 calories every day. I look back and wonder why I wasn’t 420 lbs instead of 220.

To your original question, I do not have any issues with canker sores but I have noticed that Lemonade Crystal Light burns my throat slightly. Other flavors do not. I’m curious, what flavors you drink?

Good luck and I say if you want to have a couple of glasses of Crystal Light at the gym then go for it, just be sure and get as much water as you can stand each day as well.

Thanks for this input! It's great to see people are doing their research. It's also great that you provided links so we can determine our opinions for ourselves. Thanks!
  • dietingsucks
    Options
    I developed Aspartame poisoning back in the late 90s when it first came on the market although, at the time, I had no idea what the problem was and doctors couldn't figure out why I became a skeleton of my former self. Even tho I was eating well, I lost all muscle mass and looked like skin and bone and started having blackouts. It faded away when I quit eating my mom's cooking (she was using it in EVERYTHING! because she was dieting all the time) It wasn't until a few years ago that I read of someone else suffering the same fate that I looked into it further and figured out it was the Aspartame that most likely caused my health to deteriorate so drastically.

It's not good stuff. Even if it doesn't make you visibly ill, it's doing "the bad" to your organs/brain over time. :noway:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    You could try fresh lemon, lime or orange slices in your water.
  • Sherryishealthyandstrong
    Options
    I stay away from any artificial sweetners. Chemicals in your lemonade?? Not for me!! Try green tea with lemon and stevia!! Tastes really good and good for you!!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/10/13/Artificial-Sweeteners-More-Dangerous-than-You-Ever-Imagined.aspx
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Options
    I have tried Vitamin Sticks and they have no calories and are much less acidic than Crystal Light. If I drink too much of the Crystal Light tangy flavors, like lemonade or cherry limeade, I also get sores in my mouth. The mild flavors don't seem to affect me.
  • LisaNBorchers
    Options
    I found that adding a squirt of lemon juice to my water makes it taste like watered down lemonade. Helps me drink way more water:)