Funny things you do/have done out of fear

Options
oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
-After 9/11 I was calling all around to Doctors Offices to see if they would give me a smallpox shot
-After watching WAY too many episodes of Venom ER I shake out my shoes before I put them on, and also shake out blankets.

Replies

• Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    HA!

I thought i was strange for doing that with my shoes!!!

I mentally go over the steps to escape my car if it happens to go over the side of whatever bridge I am on.

yeah, Im weird..
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    Anytime there is a storm (whether severe or not) I plan out what I will do, where I will go, and what I'll have with me if there is a Tornado.

However, the last 'tornado' we had was barely an F1 and I live in the mountains...

Oh, and the only 'medical' show I can watch is House, becasue otherwise I'll start being like "I have that!" because I get scared Im going to end up with some rare, terminal illness...
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    Anytime there is a storm (whether severe or not) I plan out what I will do, where I will go, and what I'll have with me if there is a Tornado.

However, the last 'tornado' we had was barely an F1 and I live in the mountains...

Oh, and the only 'medical' show I can watch is House, becasue otherwise I'll start being like "I have that!" because I get scared Im going to end up with some rare, terminal illness...
    I've been grounded from WebMD since my doctor made me go to a cardiologist!
  • AmberMahfouz
    Options
    Any time it is dark outside and I am going home, I have my key ready before I go up the stairs and then I haul *kitten* up the stairs, just incase anyone has followed me home.

AANNNDD

I check my backseat ALWAYS before I get in the car.. Too many lifetime movies lol.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I'm OVERLY obsessive about locking all my doors. Car / house I will check at LEAST 20 times (each door)before i'm satisfied they are locked. Too many horror stories these days.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    oh, and don't judge me. =)
  • PattieCakes23
    Options

Yeah WebMD is not my friend! You can look up a cold and the next thing you know "Oh, you're dead" haha
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I once climbed up a street lamp because a fox terrier puppy was chasing me. Got about 2 metres off the ground
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options

Yeah WebMD is not my friend! You can look up a cold and the next thing you know "Oh, you're dead" haha

lol we have a running joke here at work about that website. My coworkers sister is BAD. She is NOTORIOUS for calling and asking if her sister thinks she has AIDS, or some other deadly disease. Dar (my coworker) usually gets her going ...one time she asked if she should be worried b/c she had broke out with some rash on her leg after shaving, Dar asked her if she had used a rusty razor...she said it may have had a little rust and Dar said oh no you might have "insert long medical term here" ....it was pretty hilarious.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    Once about 10 years ago, I worked at Herbal Magic. I was in the back room having lunch with my coworkers and one of them yelled "BEE FLEW UP YOUR PANT LEG!" I am TERRIFIED of bees and so in 2 seconds flat I tore my pants off and ran out the door in my under wear screaming and jumping around. Yeah no one ever lets me forget it...
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have to walka round the back of my house to get to my door to go upstiars, AND there is no light til I get to my door. I make a mad dash and have my keys ready. Too many weirdos and bad things happening in my area. Also, when I walk up the stairs, I go really quickly. Above my door is that window like most doors have, and I get freaked out thinking somoene may be watching me walk up the stairs and know I am home. Also, I close the shades when my lights are still off, so no one can see me.

This all mainly comes from when I left my ex. He was abusive and had threatened to kill me, so I was in fear for a long time that he would come after me and find me. I even went as far as not letting my cats sit in the windows. I was afriad he might happen to drive by and recognize them and know I lived there.

And even though he died 7 years ago, I can't get those fears out of my head.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I shake out things from the clothesline because i am afraid of spiders. yesterday, a spider came out of my shoe when I picked it up! now i shake my shoes too.

if i arrive home after dark and the outside lights are out, i text hubby to turn them on before i will get out of my car and come in. Once i had to go sit at a coffee shop, cuz he wasn't home to turn the lights on!
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I have to walka round the back of my house to get to my door to go upstiars, AND there is no light til I get to my door. I make a mad dash and have my keys ready. Too many weirdos and bad things happening in my area. Also, when I walk up the stairs, I go really quickly. Above my door is that window like most doors have, and I get freaked out thinking somoene may be watching me walk up the stairs and know I am home. Also, I close the shades when my lights are still off, so no one can see me.

This all mainly comes from when I left my ex. He was abusive and had threatened to kill me, so I was in fear for a long time that he would come after me and find me. I even went as far as not letting my cats sit in the windows. I was afriad he might happen to drive by and recognize them and know I lived there.

And even though he died 7 years ago, I can't get those fears out of my head.

omg I have that window too (just moved into my new place) and am currently searching for some kind of shade to cover it.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Before i go to bed at night, i make sure that my doors in my built in wardrobe are closed, all my draws are closed in my chest of drawers, and the sliding doors on the base of my bed are both closed. I also have to close my bedroom window. I have a fear of people climbing the wall and sneaking into my bedroom when im fast asleeep lol :noway:
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    I started doing this when little, because I thought there was toilet monster. I still do it.
    as soon as I flush it, I turn off the light and RUN out, making sure NOT to look in the mirror no matter what.

Because, I was also afraid of bloody mary.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    When I take a cup or a glass out of the press I put it on the counter and look into it, to make sure there's no spiders in it. I also do the same with rolls of toilet paper..

I'm a bad flyer and one time we had a pretty rough landing, and I proper screamed, top of my lungs, NO NO NO NO *kitten*!!! Got a few nasty looks and *tut*s I wasn't the only one shaken up though I was probably the only one convinced I was going to die lol.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options

^me too!
    *puts fingers in ears* la la la - i can't HEAR you!

- - -

Don't you dare look up the This American Life episode where a rat comes out of a toilet or you will be even MORE afraid of your toilet!
    well okay, if you must:
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/406/true-urban-legends
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have, on numerous occasions run out of my bathroom in nothing but a towel to get my husband to kill a spider. Because, as I see it, if a spider moves two centimeters after my attempt to kill them, it also grows to be 6 ft tall and 300lbs :tongue:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I too shake my shoes and clothes that hung in the closet a while between wears. My mom told me brown recluse spiders like to live in closets.... It's made me twitchy every since.

Had a fire in Jan... I'm weird about electrical things now. Constant unplugging. If I smell something hot I freak out and search it down. I have fire extinguishers stashed everywhere. I have a really hard time using the microwave - its what started the fire :/ I'm actually hoping this lessens over time. Its not an enjoyable thing.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I won't close my eyes in the shower (Psycho).
    I started doing this when little, because I thought there was toilet monster. I still do it.
    as soon as I flush it, I turn off the light and RUN out, making sure NOT to look in the mirror no matter what.

Yep, I'm also afraid of Bloody Mary.