Anyone "bank" uneaten calories?

Options
Sometimes I don't eat all of my exercise calories back and I was thinking of saving them for another day. When I did Weight Watchers about 9 years ago, we did this with points. You could add up all of the points unused and use them anytime during the same week.

Anyone do this with calories? It would be useful for things like birthday parties and going out to eat, but I don't want to impede my steady loss.

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I will often use a few of my leftover calories on the weekend, but I don't intentionally eat too low during the week to get them. I've got no problem with going over for the occasional special event. A couple weeks ago I went more than 2500 over my 1550 goal for a party. Much alcohol was consumed.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I will often use a few of my leftover calories on the weekend, but I don't intentionally eat too low during the week to get them. I've got no problem with going over for the occasional special event. A couple weeks ago I went more than 2500 over my 1550 goal for a party. Much alcohol was consumed.

I think this makes sense. I wouldnt recommend regularly undereating to justify a big splurge, but once in a while doesn't really hurt anything. I usually use this strategy to help compensate for weddings.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I wish I could save some calories and bank them. Good that you guys have some calories to bank for the cheat days:)
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yes, our bodies don't work on a 24 hour clock. I eat what I want on the weekends, and then during the week I eat less (about 1000 per day) to make up for the weekend, and it works for me
    x
  • sweiland1
    sweiland1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do over a weeks time. I just try to keep my weekly "average" below what my limit is.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I do this. I usually have something social over the weekend (Friday and Saturday)...I net between 700-1000 during the week so I can eat 2000 net while still being in a deficit for the week. I look at my net goals over the week rather than for the day.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm too much of a pig to leave more than 5 calories on the table, but theoretically speaking, I would.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yes, I look at the week as a whole instead of daily. Some days I will be under, some over, but I'll add up my calories and deficit at the end of each week and make sure I'm on track.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    So long as you don't intentionally under eat on a regular basis to do this. That is part of the reason Weight Watchers moved away from banking points. People were under eating for days to save them for the weekend. I think so long as you maintain an average it should be fine.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, but it's more a case of I'll go on a day-long mountain hike and the HRM says I've burned over 2000 calories. Not happening to eat 2000 extra calories that evening - I do bring stuff along and am higher calorie than average those days, but I'll usually eat extra not only the days after, but even the day before.

In general, I average my calories out a little between work out days and non-work out days on an ongoing basis, not eating back all my calories on work-out days and being a little over sedentary maintenance calories on non-workout days. It seems to be calories in vs. calories out over the long haul that matters not any 24-hour time bucket.