Help!! Im new =)

Options
Hi everyone! My name is Angela I am a 30 year old single mom stuck on this sick ride of obesity. I weighed in on Monday @ 265.1 with a body fat % of 42.5. I am not very happy with myself, although I do not want to beat myself up to much. I weighed in this morning and I have lost a total of 6.6lbs since Monday. I find myself weighing in every day, I know that it is not good for me to do but I can't help myself. I have been counting calories and inputing everything in my food journal along with my workouts. I just started going to the gym on Monday as well. I have entered a weight loss contest there at my gym. I am not sure on how many calories to start at though. This week I have been sticking to 1400 but I am always under by 200-300 calories. I am not a big food person, my problem has been Pepsi. Yes pepsi and cigarettes are my addiction, I know that is not healthy at all. I was smoking a pack a day and drinking a 12pack of pepsi a day as well. I am on my last pack of cigaretts right now. I have relized this week that I need to quit smoking or none of this is going to work for me, I don't feel like I am getting the best workout posible due to my smoking addiction. I cut out the 12 pack of pepsi as well. I have swiched to Pepsi Max and only 2 cups a day. I was wondering if any of you can give me an idea on what my calorie intake should be. I am going to the gym 2 times a day for 2-3 hours each time riding bike walking on treadmill and doing zumba & step and sculpt classes, I am feeling really sore but I feel GREAT! Well thank you for reading this and any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• mazarith
    mazarith Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    hi! i'm new here too...weight loss contests are great. i did one at work and lost 30 lbs...before i had my son.
    i'm not an expert or anything but, it sounds like you need to up your calories just a little if you're working out that much...your body is a machine and needs that fuel to go!
    good job on trying to quit smoking...i quit over a year ago and it is amazing how much better i feel, working out is soo much better..go figure. :)
    weighing in every day isn't bad, just don't get discouraged if it goes a little up & down, i know it's hard sometimes not to check the scale.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you for making a healthy choice. If you imput your goals into MPF it will automatically estimate your calories you need for the day. Don't forget to imput your exercise too and don't go too low on your calories if you can( a lot of time the quicker you loose the weight the faster it comes back) . Choose healthy foods like low fat meats and more whole grain and frozen veggies without sauces. I try to stay away from processed foods and fast food if I can, but if I am going to be on the road I try to look up what would be a good choice and eat a salad or something on the lighter fare side.
    There is some great information on eating your exercise calories and how your body's metabolism works, one thread is newbies read me 2nd edition by Banks that made a lot of sence to me.
    I wish you the best
  • SweetAngelKisses
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the encouragement! I am so excited about this lifestyle change that I am doing. I have never really tried to quit smoking or loose weight, I actually find the weight loss to be fun =) I go to the gym everyday with my sisters and we listen to music and workout. I never thought it would be fun. I am trying to figure out how much I should up my calorie intake because I do find myself very hungry after workouts and around 3:30pm. Im just going to have to keep playing around with it and see what works best for me. Again thank you and I wish you ladies the best on your weight loss journey! =)
  • satchel2
    Options
    Take it from someone who has been on the weight loss merry go round for most of my life. I weighed close to 250 as a freshman in high school, dropped down to 135 by the time I started sophmore year. I managed to keep the weight off for a long time, until I had my second child. After I lost that weight, which took me close to 18 months kept it off again until I was in my 40's. Then I fell and hurt my back badly and was unable to do much of anything. Surgery, PT and therapy ...........yada yada yada.

Now I am in my 50's, and just got lazy! I smoked too until 2 weeks ago. I realized it is not so much about loosing the weight as it is keeping it off and being fit. You have to be motivated for yourself and no one else. And you also should not let your weight define you.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, with your exercising, and not drinking so much pepsi. I love pepsi too. In fact, my idea of nirvana is an ice cold pepsi, a bag of peanut M & Ms and a good book. I allow myself 1 pepsi a day, usually at lunch. Other than that, it is water or unsweetened ice tea.

You will get where you want to be. Just have patience.
  • SweetAngelKisses
    Options
    Thank you Satchel! If you don't mind me asking what helped you quit smoking? I am down to my last 2 ciggys and I need to quit, I want to quit. I refuse to buy another pack! But I don't want to be grouchy or eat more.

I have also been over weight all of my life. The only time I was at a healty weight was when I was 17 I weighed 145, then I got pregnant and let it go to my head very fast that I was eating for 2! Not a good choice, I weighed in at 260 the day I went in to deliver my son =( Then 2 months later I was pregnant again but I did not eat for 2 through that pregnancy. So my weight has fluctuated between 250-265. I have realized that a 12pack of pepsi is not my friend. It has taken me 12 years to realize it though.

I am really excited to shead the pounds =)
  • lolo2271
    Options
    hello everyone I am new here too. I have no self control or discipline. I love my carbs and fast food. I never have the desire to exercise. I am tired of being fat, tired and out of shape, I would like some healthy recipes that have alot of flavor, any ideas on how to get motivated and new dishes I would appreciate
  • SweetAngelKisses
    Options
    Hi Lolo! Welcome=) I am just learning myself so I really do not have any good recipes, but I do have some tips on getting motivated.

1. Find a workout buddy or two.
    2. Get a I-pod or MP3 player and download lots of energizing music.
    3. Set your goals low so you don't dissappoint yourself and get discouraged.

I never had the desire to exercise myself:yawn: but having a good buddy system helps me alot!:smile: I almost didn't go to the gym today because I am really sore and my sister said "fine be fat forever then!" I got mad:mad: and she hurt my feelings but I went just to show her that I could do it! :laugh: So if you have a couple of friends or family members that are looking to loose weight buddy up with them. If the gym is not in your budget there is alot of things you can do at home. I wish you the best! :flowerforyou:
  • Mendaguys
    Options
    Hello! You and I sound a lot alike. I weighed in very close to your starting weight the first of October. Now I'm down over 30 and although I can't pretend to know a lot about calories, I do know that counting them works for me. I try to shoot for somewhere between 1500 and 1800 per day. I learned the hard way that going much less than that on a regular basis actually made my body hoard calories and ultimately, turn them into fat. So "less is more" definitely backfired. My two cents anyway...good luck! Good job for kickin' the cigs, butts are gross.
  • kazmor
    kazmor Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi There,

I'm new myself and only joined a few days ago. I weighed in on Tuesday at 270lb which is heavy but i already lost 10lb before signing up. I too have started the gym and really enjoying it. I chatted with a personal trainer who gave me some great advice on healthy weight loss. Aim to lose 1-2 lb a week, doesn't seem a lot but its more likely to stay off the slower you lose it and only weigh yourself once a week on the same day of the week at roughly the same time. So for Me thats going to be Tuesday evening. Based on the fact that I have an office job and I plan to excercise 3-4 times a week for at least 90 mins a time I was recommended to eat about 1900 calories a day. I've kept a record each day of the foods I've eaten and not once felt hungry or lacking in energy. Maybe you should boost your calories by 500 a day if your exercising so much. If you continue to feel hungry I find thats when I cave in and binge!! Good luck with your loss and with all the support your getting I'm sure you will suceed!!

Karen xxx
  • jimmyh
    jimmyh Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, Congrats on your decision to live a healthier lifestyle. judging from what you said about your working out I would have to agree with others that your calorie intake should be a little more...the last thing you need are health problems that will stop you in your tracks. try to remember that anything really worth doing will take time, and sometimes we workout a bit too much thinking we will loose weight faster, and that is not always true. each of our bodies are different in how they react to a weight loss plan, so as hard as it is (and believe me I do know) dont let that damn scale frustrate you to the point of quiting...you are worth much more than that. a little trick I do at the Gym wich helps me out is something I took from my favorite childrens book "The Little Engine That Could" is, as I am exercising I whisper to my self as opposed to "I think" I say "I Know I Can" followed by "Slow and Steady". just my 2 cents worth.

As far as the smoking...same thing "Slow and Steady" you will get there. If you "cheat" and have a smoke, It's OK. just do not give up. Remember after all you are human

with your weight loss, reward yourself with something special once in a while....whatever that may look like for you. Most Importantly be paitient, loving, and caring with yourself...because there is only one you :)
  • SweetAngelKisses
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! I think I am going to bump up my calories today and see if I feel a little more energized. I did not quit smoking yet I bought another pack =( Hopefully after this pack I will be done. I was woken up by a earthquake and it scared the crap out of me so I ran down and bought another pack. I know not a good excuse but I am going to try my hardest to make this my last pack. Thank you all again =)