Powder Supplements Fat Loss Versus Muscle Gain

Options
Tilran
Tilran Posts: 626 Member
Anyone have a ton of experience with the two of these? I am currently using protein bars to get enough protein into my diet and I was going to switch to a powder to make it more cost effective. That being said, as I delved into the world of a bazillion powders, I noticed they are split into two categories. There are Fat-Loss supplements which suppress appetite and release fat and there are protein powders which act as meals and also help build muscle.

I am 20 pounds from my goal weight so a fat-loss powder/pill sounds like the right decision, but I've been using protein bars which seem to mimic the muscle building formulas and that has been working so far.

Any advice?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    protein is protein is protein.

Stick with powders that are just protein.

I would recommend replacing the bars with a powder (as you are planning...good call there IMO), as there are less other macronutrients that come with the protein that way.

I do not practice what I preach though, as I use muscle milk , but it also has some fat and other calories that I need at those times I take it that I'm too lazy to get from whole foods.

Muscle milk powder is 43% protein, 36% fat, 21% carbs, whereas my ON casein powder is 82% protein, 8% fat, and 10% carbs. I'd say shoot for a powder that has at least 75% of the calories from protein.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Get your diet in order, and use supplements to fill in the gaps. Fat burners are crap, for the most part.
  • Tilran
    Options
    Bump for more advice. So far it sounds like the Fat Loss powders/pills are crap and just stick with Protein supplements. I am going to switch to a powder from the bars I suppose.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Get your diet in order, and use supplements to fill in the gaps. Fat burners are crap, for the most part.

Basically this,

If you are already super lean looking to drop those final few grams for a contest or photo shoot then maybe fat burners would be worth it.

For everyone else it's a waste of cash and some of the stronger ones are packed with stimulants which will be too much for some people.
  • Tilran
    Options
    Not super lean yet. Will take 20 more pounds before I can consider myself lean. So use the powders for now.

Thanks all