how much water should i drink?

Options
How much water should I drink? I weigh 443 lbs. according to my fitbit I walk about 8000 steps a day to tell my activity level.

I have read that you should drink 50-75% of your body weight in ounces...which would be 220-330oz of water a day...that seems like way too much to me. I drink between 80-100oz of water a day....is that enough?

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I drink about 100oz of water a day .. but I weight only 200lbs .. I would assume that around 100oz a day is fine for you .. thou if feel thirsty or your mouth is dry drink some more..

Just dont drink the soda :)

PS... I am proud of you for taking this journey on .. I know its not easy but DONT quit.. I used to weight around 300lbs
  • kmwrestle
    kmwrestle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thanks..im just disgusted with myself because in 2010 i went from 455 to 325....then gained it all back and more to 460...then lost weight down to 425 last year...then gained it all back to an all time high of 462.....im good at loosing weight just not maintaining it....this time i feel like i have no choice i have to do it
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I finish a 100oz bottle at work, and it's easy for me to finish another while i'm in the gym. I'd say I average 150 most days.

I agree with Kax, stick with it. I was 320 when I at my heaviest and about 280 when started mfp. If you use this you will lose it.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Great attitude...

You can not have progress with out change.. you have to change your mind before you can change your body ... If you are in the same mindset you are in that got you to where you are now you will never succeed. It will always be hard... But as time goes on it will be come more manageable..

Become a weight loss warrior... go from the norm ... break the statistics and you will change from another lonely number to a champion.....

People who have always doubted you or brought you down will look at you in envy ...... Don't quit... release your champion and you will see what true greatness really is!
  • stelle91
    stelle91 Posts: 19
    Options
    I find hoarding water bottles in the fridge is a good way to drink more, so that way when you go out, you just grab one. and, I have a water jug to keep water chilled. Aaaand I try (I don't always!!) to drink 2 glasses of water before meals (tip. I drink from the tap because I have sensitive teeth and its painful to drink 2 glasses or more of freezing cold water!)
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    i drink about 5 liters everyday but i sweat a lot
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Drink enough to make your urine almost clear. There's no magical mathematical formula to follow, just look at that simple cue and you'll know if you're drinking enough.
  • msleesha
    msleesha Posts: 39
    Options
    I recently met with the new nutritionist at the gym I workout at...she said 1oz per each pound you weigh. I weigh 164 so that means I should drink 164oz...ugh. On the days I workout twice I can hit this number. I did consult with a doctor here at my job and he agreed with her. I just say drink enough till your urine is clear as my trainer always tells me
  • Villy17
    Villy17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have actually heard from multiple sources that it should be HALF your weight in ounces.

I weight 195, there for I should be drinking 97-98 Ounces of water per day.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I use a formula that was given me in the military. Take you weight, divide by 2 and then divide that number by 8. If it is more than you can possibly drink, then just work at it and drink as much as you can. Water is very important when we are over weight because it helps in detoxing, making our bodies work properly, help the liver and kidneys do their jobs and so forth.

There is a lot of debate over this issue but I just redo the above formula whenever I lose to make sure I'm still drinking the right amount. At 167 I'm drinking 11 glass of water a day.

Good luck with your weight loss. Great question.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Drink whenever you want to. Jeez!
  • boostnerd
    Options
    I go by the drink as much as possible rule. (within reason) No really. I drink about 1.5 gallons to 2 gallons a day. (I am down to 219 now) Thats about 1.5 is about 230.

My theory... I'm not a doctor but...
    The way I look at it is that is one of the main ways that you body flushes bad things out. More water in = more water out and the nastyness comes out with the water. Also I start every meal with a cup of water. It seems to help me with not overeating as much.

my $0.02

Nerd
  • hopsywopsy
    Options
    I watched a programme recently about sports products, including "rehydrating" drinks (water was find to be as good as any commercial ones) and also the marketing suggesting we should drink more.

Go to about 30 mins in. They look at the South African elite forces in training. As someone says (roughly) "We don't tell our cats and dogs how and when to drink". I.e. listen to your body. Made sense to me.

Oh, and a final fact. According to the medical advisor to the Boston marathon, no athletes have died from dehydration, but there are many cases of death due to over hydration.

Interesting viewing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rul7XbM844 or search for Panorama The Truth About Sports Products.