12 glasses of water...

Options
Is how much I realize I have been drinking most days, is that too much? I also have two or three coffees a day in addition to eating nearly 1400 calories. Is something wrong? Should I be drinking this much?

Replies

• dellalyn
    dellalyn Posts: 41
    Options
    I think that's normal. You can't drink too much water. (unless you are in a frat hazing but that is another topic)
    Just drink as much as you want.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You actually can drink too much water. I know this because my doctor put my on a water restriction for a few days. Apparently I was just washing (for lack of a better word) all the sodium out of my body.
    However, 12 glasses doesn't seem extreme at all unless of course your glasses are huge. LOL
  • kaitiebeth89
    kaitiebeth89 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just drink when I'm thirsty, which for me is usually about 5 cups of water and one can of diet soda a day. If I were to try to drink the recommended amount of water per day, I would be in the restroom all day. To me that just seems counterproductive.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Is how much I realize I have been drinking most days, is that too much? I also have two or three coffees a day in addition to eating nearly 1400 calories. Is something wrong? Should I be drinking this much?

that is the MINIMUM I have to drink on a daily basis according to my urologist. He says for every ONE person he sees who is drinking too much, he sees HUNDREDS who are chronically dehydrated. I have had up to 18+ glasses in a day and he was thrilled!
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback - seems ok so I will just keep hydrating!
  • lifescircle
    Options
    I stopped counting at 18 yesterday. I get a minimum of 12/day. Some days I just want more water. Water, tea, and coffee are about the only regular things that I drink... a small serving of POM juice here and there.

My body needs lots of water. I can feel a big difference when I don't drink enough.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Thats not a bad thing. Alot of water is really good for your body. I drink about 8 as reccomended plus two cups of coffee a day and I pee about every 30 minutes but thats the only setback.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't forcing yourself to drink water beyond what is comfortable, then you are fine. I love drinking water and iced tea and coconut water and whatever else. I almost feel lost without a glass of water by my side. I don't necessarily feel thirsty any time but I just love drinking it.
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually drink anywhere from 20 to 25 cups of water a day. To drink too much you would have to drink a gallon or so within an hour. Your body processes about a liter of water per hour so you have to drink a lot of water in a short amount of time to get too much.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I usually drink anywhere from 20 to 25 cups of water a day. To drink too much you would have to drink a gallon or so within an hour. Your body processes about a liter of water per hour so you have to drink a lot of water in a short amount of time to get too much.

By my math thats 24 litres a day! That's 24 kilograms of water! You must have a big cup! :)

to answer the OP. in the developed world we have the luxury of access to water/fluids 24/7 so we can drink whenever. Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition that is sensitive to water levels in your body you just drink whenever you want.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I wish I could drink 12 glasses of water, then I know that I'm perfectly hydrated. Good for you! :drinker:
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

By my math thats 24 litres a day! That's 24 kilograms of water! You must have a big cup! :)

to answer the OP. in the developed world we have the luxury of access to water/fluids 24/7 so we can drink whenever. Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition that is sensitive to water levels in your body you just drink whenever you want.

LOL it's huge! No, It comes out to about 5 to 6 liters a day.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    if it works for you, keep it up! I wish I could drink that much. When I first got on here and was trying to do the 8 cups a day, I found by the end of the day as I was forcing down the 7th and 8th cup, it was difficult, I was having trouble swallowing, feeling like gagging. And mind you, I love water! It makes up the majority of my fluid intake, but for me 6 cups seems to be the comfortable amount. Even in this heat I don't find myself being that thirsty.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water everyday. I drink between 15-25 8oz cups. I do pee a lot too but I feel so much better when I am this hydrated. I think I have almost become addicted to water lol. If I don't get this much water I can feel it in my body and it does not feel good.

I use a 16oz cup so or every one cup it is 2 8oz cups of water.
  • CindiOstrander
    CindiOstrander Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to drink about 100 ounces of water a day. But that doesn't include my coffee. I drink about 1 lemonade a day also.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    from what I have read you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water each day.