When did people start noticing your weight loss?

Options
Hi

I need to lose a lot! I figure because I'm so big, friends and family probably won't notice any weight loss until I hit the 28 lb mark. To those who have more than 100 lb to lose in particular, how much did you lose before people started noticing?

Replies

• uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I had 100 pounds to lose and people I didn't see very often started noticing around 8 pounds (I remember, it was my first compliment!), and my family I saw all the time started noticing around 30 pounds or so.

Good luck with your weight loss!!
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have 50lbs to lose, have lost 32lbs of it so far. Like uwdawg07 said, my co-workers and people i don't see very often noticed at about 15-20lbs, my family at 25lbs. Don't be discouraged if no one notices right away, because trust me once you hit "that number" for you, everyone will not be able to help but notice! Getting compliments like "have you lost weight" or better yet "wow you have lost a lot of weight, you look great!" feel amazing and are great motivators to keep working hard. :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think people are wary of commenting before it becomes *very* obvious. I think I was probably about 50lbs lighter before people 'out there' started to comment (though close family and friends did comment earlier - around 30lb-ish). People worry about offending you with the 'have you lost weight' type comments, in case they get it wrong.
  • newcomer9
    newcomer9 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    in my work close and that was when i lost 22 pounds. alot now recently
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    People I see often haven't really noticed much yet. But a couple of people who haven't seen me in a while have commented :smile: Waiting for more! :tongue:
  • PierdoPeso
    Options
    People started noticing around the 20 pound mark. You could see it in my face, and my clothes were fitting much looser. Everybody notices now.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I was probably 40lbs down before anyone noticed. I am a quiet person and this is a personal journey, once people started noticing it was great, I got some confidence and changed my FB settings so my loss would post there, since then three or four of my friends have joined MFP. I still have a very long way to go, but it helps when people notice, they call me the amazing shrinking man at work now.
  • bellarox13
    bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnant with my last bub, I lost 33 pounds and not one person noticed and if they did they didnt say anything. So this time around (like last time, I havent told anyone, except my partner) I am actually expecting no one to notice until I lose more but i don't care this time, I doing this for me not them. As long as my partner and I notice, thats all that matters.
  • xdoublerainbow
    xdoublerainbow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time but people didn't really notice until I hit the 11lb mark :D It depends on how tall you are and how much you originally weighed though :D
  • Moxylein
    Moxylein Posts: 52
    Options
    I've lost over 30 lbs now and nobody, who doesn't know I'm trying to lose weight has noticed it yet, which is kind of depressing. I still hope a difference will be visible some day
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    @ 25lbs one lady at work said "You're face is skinny" lol!

I wasn't tucking my shirts in because of my belly but when I lost 30lbs (and 4 waist inches) I started tucking them in and then everyone started making comments
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    At around 15 lbs, but it was someone I hadn't seen in 2 months. People I see all the time? Nothing. :(
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I would say that it is sooo different for everyone!!! It depends where you lose weight first. My weight comes off my face, back, and upper body first so it is very noticeable even when I lose a little bit. I have only lost 12 lbs since I have been on MFP but everyone has been noticing and comments on the loss, even from before the Summer. Now I really wish the weight would get the hell off my *kitten*, thighs, legs and tummy ;)!!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think people are wary of commenting before it becomes *very* obvious. I think I was probably about 50lbs lighter before people 'out there' started to comment (though close family and friends did comment earlier - around 30lb-ish). People worry about offending you with the 'have you lost weight' type comments, in case they get it wrong.

This. I didn't have anyone say anything until about 40 pounds but when I said I was trying to lose it, they said they had been noticing but didn't want to say anything until they were sure.
  • MCsAngel2
    MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had/am losing 50ish pounds, going from about 170 to about 120. I'm 5'3". A coworker first noticed after I lost 15 pounds which I was VERY surprised by. Eeeeeeeveryone started making comments after 30-35 pounds lost. However, due to my genetics, my face (double chin) is the last place I lose. I had a big gut when i started, and once I started tucking in shirts again/got smaller pants that fit, it became apparent.
  • fingerscrossed75
    fingerscrossed75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I need to lose about 100 pounds, and have lost 20 so far. Really, nobody has noticed, and if they have, nobody has said anything.

I think it's because I'm pretty well proportioned, so there isn't one specific part of my body that shows the weight loss. It can be a bit discouraging, to be honest, but I can see and feel, the difference, so that does help. :)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I notice.. but nobody else has yet that I've heard from. I've lost 26 pounds and I have 85 to lose.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and started here about 60lbs overweight. People started noticing when I lost about 20lbs.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have always been kinda stout..I carry my weight well which was part of my problem .. for me it was about 40 to 50 lbs before people really started asking .. however with pictures about 15-20 lbs in you could see it in my face.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    A few people around 20...asked if I was doing something different.
    People I see all the time...not so much.
    35 lbs down and still most have either not noticed or just didn't say anything.

My big one will be when I see my family next month.
    It's been a year since I've seen them.
    Hopefully they will notice it :0)