When did people start noticing your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It took 40lbs for anyone to notice and then they were shocked. I covered up really well and now that I am much thinner, I wear tighter clothes.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The family I live with say they notice but nobody else has really said anything :( boo hoo!
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I think about 20 lbs.
    my favorite compliment is how much younger I look!!!! Love those people. lol
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have 50 lbs total to lose and my mom and grandma noticed at 11 lbs lost. Coworkers started noticing at about 17lbs lost. My husband too, but in all fairness, he didn't see me until I was down 17 lbs and he almost didn't recognize me.
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I wat to lose 90 to 100 pounds. I am down 34 pounds and finally people are starting to notice. I get a lot of " OMG you have lost a lot of weight how are you doing it?"
  • Amabuela
    Amabuela Posts: 24
    Options
    It really depends on how you're built. It shows up in my face and arms very quickly, so people usually notice at 8-10 pounds. But some people lose it elsewhere where it's not so noticeable.
  • lstone03
    lstone03 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot with my first child and started hanging out with new people. Most of them had never seen me thin. It was almost like I lost it all over night so I didn't get many comments until it was all gone. So at around 80lbs lost the rumors started flying that I was a coke head and that's how I lost the weight. I've never been into drugs so I was rather insulted so the loss was bitter sweet when it came to what others had to say.

After my second I lost 35 lbs and had 10 to go before I became pregnant again and no one noticed.

Now I've lost 32 lbs and people seem to comment because they think they are motivating me not because they really notice. At least that's how I feel about it. I don't expect anyone to notice any losses for another 20lbs. Between 180-160 there doesn't seem to be much of a noticeable difference in appearance.
  • ahiddenlink
    ahiddenlink Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's harder for people you see everyday to notice unless you drop it off really quick, but there does seem to be a defining time when they really notice, as with a lot of people, it seems to be in the face where most people notice it.

I had run into some people after I had dropped over 30lbs and got a string of compliments/questions about losing weight that day and that was nice, but I can tell strictly by the fact that I'm back in all my old wardrobe!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have 130lbs to lose and at 27lbs lost there have only been a couple people who have noticed. Mostly because my face is thinner.
    I think most of the time people do notice when you have lost weight, but they do not say anything.
  • nyla23608
    nyla23608 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to loose as well. People started noticing sooner than I thought (but didn't say anything out of respect to me) and finally spoke on it when I had lost 30lbs. I've lost 45lbs so far. Keep pushing forward :happy:
  • MissMiley
    Options
    My closest friend noticed at my 10 pound loss. I couldn't even believe she noticed....heck, I couldn't even notice anything then! Everyone else noticed around my 20 pound loss. Now everybody notices and comments. At work yesterday I saw someone who hadn't seen me since I began this journey and she said she didn't even recognize me! Really?!! Wow...I liked that! :)
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Sadly, no one is really noticing yet. I'm 5'10" and down almost 45 lbs. I carry my weight fairly well and fairly evenly, but no one is really noticing at all. My one friend who recommended MFP to me actually was really surprised when I told her I'd lost over 35 lbs (at the time). Very few people know I'm actively trying to lose, and of those who do, one has made a comment that she can tell I've lost some weight (finally!).

I've lost almost 30" total off my body since January, so I know I'm losing inches and pounds. I figure everyone will notice eventually.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    for me I had to lose 30 lbs before anyone started noticing, but I did have 90 lbs to lose. 20 more to go woohoo, thanks to MFP (and friends support on MFP) I am closer to my goal.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I started with 50 pounds to lose. Now I'm down by 10.5 pounds and I've had co-workers (who didn't know I had been trying to lose weight) say something yesterday and today! Feels good. Especially when it's hard to notice the difference yourself.
  • Toofhairy
    Toofhairy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 lbs and my coworkers have just started to notice, commenting on the difference in my face and my baggy jeans. I am 5'3" and have another 75 lbs to lose.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It was about 40-50 pounds before people started noticing, but that was when I bought some new, better fitting clothes as well. Now, I'm down 108 and I get comments all the time that I'm skinny and wasting away to nothing. Lol. I still have 49 pounds to go to get to my goal, so there's no way that I'm wasting away.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    So far the only person who has noticed is my best friend...but she only said something when i vented my frusterations at not losing fast enough...i had sent her a picture (my current profile pic), about a week prior and then she said she meant to tell me she could tell i look thinner. NOT saying she was lying to make me feel better...I have a lot to lose and am only 5 down so far.

She will be a good person to tell though because i only see her once or twice a year...unlike my fiance who 1-isn't the most observant about some stuff, and 2-sees me every day.

I personally have started to see it (maybe? or is it because i am looking for it? If anyone who knows me personally is reading this thread, let me know!!) in my own face. And i CERTAINLY noticed it when my jeans almost fell completely down a couple weeks ago! :noway:

I am going to guess i will have to be in the 20's or even 30's lost before people notice to the point they say anything....
  • starbuckskat
    starbuckskat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi

I need to lose a lot! I figure because I'm so big, friends and family probably won't notice any weight loss until I hit the 28 lb mark. To those who have more than 100 lb to lose in particular, how much did you lose before people started noticing?
    When I was on WW and lost 25 lbs (before quitting and gaining it all back) people started noticing about 15-20 lbs. I had/have about 90 to lose
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I had some family and friends commenting at the 5lb mark. Oddly one co-worker never said anything until I hit about the 20lb mark and his comment was 'I can really see it in your face', lol. I said ' wow, how big WAS my head?' (Like John Pinette's comedy act.) I'm kinda a jerk like that. We laughed about it, he said 'no really I see it everywhere'. I love messing with him. I noticed it in my clothes right away at the 5lb mark, feeling looser, my pants are baggier, some are waaay to big on me, others fit that I haven't been able to wear in a few years. I still have 40lbs to go to my first goal, then I'll be reassessing to see if I'm continuing on for another 20 or toning only. I'm so happy with my progress so far.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have an unusual job, I see people for a few weeks or a few months then don’t see them for 4 or 5 months. Out of the blue people started to email me asking if I was ok, I didn’t think anything of it ‘til a pro-cyclist friend came in to see me and asked me out right if I was still in remission. I’m like “of course, why do you ask?” His reply made the penny drop; people saw the weight loss and thought I was ill. Once they knew I wasn’t ill people started talking about my weight loss.