Not seeing any progress

Options
Well, it's been months and I haven't been seeing progress. I was doing weight lifting for about 4+ months, incorporated with cardio. I seen some muscle gains, but I noticed no change in my body whatsoever. I looked the same but with more bicep muscle and a tiny bit of leg definition. Also, I lost no inches during that time period... fast forward to now. I'm on recovery week of the insanity program and I have seen no progress. I've also lost no inches. I started tracking my calories STRICTLY even though before when I was doing weight lifting I did track them now and then to see if I was keeping under my calories to lose weight (which I was, but now I eat much cleaner than before) and still, I have no progress. I don't understand at all because usually I'm always under my calories.. sometimes I eat more than others, and of course I have an occasional cheat day or day of horrible eating - but it doesn't happen often. I eat enough. I workout 6-7x a week and insanity is pretty intense. It just doesn't add up..

I googled hypothyroidism symptoms because I suspect that there's something wrong with me. I do have atleast 3 of the main top systems and I probably am going to get blood work done.. while this no-progress thing isn't damaging my motivation, it is damaging my self esteem and confidence levels. I work my *kitten* off and eat healthy and yet nothing shows up on the outside.. and I have taken progress pictures and measured myself. I'm the same. Has this happened to anyone else - and does anyone here have hypothyroidism or some sort of disorder that has prevented them from losing weight? Please help :/

Replies

• fuelingit
    Options
    bump.....
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    take pictures! Get yourself medically checked :)
  • fuelingit
    Options
    I did and I see no progress between them.. my jeans don't fit any differently or anything either. I will be doing that
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I suffer with severe hypothyroidism (to the point I lost my memory and am now on medication for my brain for the rest of my life - im only 23 and got diagnosed at 21 so very scary!) I used to exercise and gain rather than lose - its only now that Im on medication that the work I put in at the gym is finally showing on the scales - on saying that though the scales dont always show the real efforts of your work, so make sure you measure too especially as you are doing weights it could be that you are gaining muscle which the scale cant tell the difference between! Feel free to add me if you have any "thyroid" related questions or need some extra support!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    . I eat enough. I workout 6-7x a week and insanity is pretty intense. It just doesn't add up..
    Weight loss is 80% diet, so take a month off the crazy exercise schedule and get the eating right. See how that works out.
  • fuelingit
    Options
    Oh wow that's crazy! and yeah I have been measuring, not even a slight loss has occurred :/
  • fuelingit
    Options
    @yarwell - I think I do have the eating down right lol.... and I'm well aware about that. I've been into fitness and health since the age of 14 when I was actually overweight - I'm 21 now. I was just giving my background story to see if anyone had opinions because I don't fully understand why I'm not losing weight at this age but did back then and did about a year ago.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    open your diary, people might be able to help more
  • fuelingit
    Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with the foods I am eating.

also, don't even know how to make my diary public to everyone.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    With all that training, you are either miscounting your calorie intake or over estimated what you need. Cut out about 200 calories a day and see if it helps
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Make your Diary Public:

Click on Settings.........Diary Settings.........and click on Public in the Diary Sharing part. Now save your changes.
  • fuelingit
    Options
    done, thanks. i track every morsel of food that goes in my mouth lately, especially since it's "that time" of the month i've been a bit of track with treats here and there. but either way it all gets tracked.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and I have done some of the beachbody programs and you are netting about 1000 calories.. I am sure the nutrition guide for insanity has you eating 1500 or more calories.. may want to eat more to break your plateau or take a physical and diet break for a week.
  • fuelingit
    Options
    i will try eating more and if that doesn't work i'll do the week you suggested. thanks!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    This is just a theory, but almost to the person, everyone on here that is saying they aren't seeing progress has the same basic diet. They all have a severe lack of green vegetables. I went back about a month on your diary and found three mentions of salad, no broccoli or other green vegetables mentioned at all. I realize you may not like broccoli and the like but really, who does, some sicko probably. Buttt that being said, I am eating a ton of it, my diet is now vegetable heavy and the pounds are coming off, and if you check out the profiles of some of the most successful people on here you will notice heavy vegetable component in their diets.
    I know when I let myself lag and don't force the veggies down I can feel the bulk coming back.
  • fuelingit
    Options
    yeah i've been trying to get some more in lately. i really love vegetables but i don't prepare them very often.. especially since i'm living with my parents during my summer off university. and if there's one thing i hate - it's adding salads in to my intake.. it just seems pointless to add 2 cups of lettuce that's not even 10 cals to my intake, tomatoes, etc, so i have rarely ever done it. i just found out about the "remember meal" option so that'll come in handy in the future. but anyways i've definitely had more veggies than that lol, i can think back about it. but i definitely need more.
  • Blmarlborough
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents; now you say that you're seeing more muscle; but no inches off. What is the problem? You are losing fat and GAINING muscle. At the same time! Also, try eating about 100 calories more every week in the form of healthy foods (Which I assume that you would by looking at your diary, simply amazing and nutritious!) Also, I would suggest that you open the option to view sugars in your diary. Simply my opinion as sugar isn't the best thing for your body and you may be taking in more than you think.
  • hartcandi
    Options
    Something I noticed is that your carb intake is too high for weight loss.

300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!

Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#ixzz24tQyARj5
  • fuelingit
    Options
    how do i open up that option?? i was interested in doing that!! but i'm still a newbie to this site it seems lol. and yeah, carbs are my complete and total weakness :( i'll try and lower them and replace with more protein
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I eat enough.

nope