The 4 Day Diet

Options
Hi everyone. I just started Dr. Ian Smith's 4 Day Diet this week. Has anyone else tried it?

Replies

• Kioko1973
    Kioko1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What is it?
  • HeatherNicoleMomOf4
    Options
    Haven't heard of it
  • Carolyn1012
    Carolyn1012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Please enlighten us! I've never heard of it. Perhaps I should google it :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I found this on Web MD...I'll post my thoughts after this post.

The 4 Day Diet: What You Can Eat

Meal plans vary substantially between the seven modules.

Phase 1, the "Induction" module, is designed to remove "toxins" that have accumulated in your body. During this phase, dieters can eat fruits, leafy greens, and other non-starchy vegetables, beans, brown rice, and low-fat or nonfat yogurt or milk. No meats, poultry, or fish are allowed. The only added fats come from low-fat or nonfat salad dressing and a small amount of oil in one of the recipes provided in the book.

There is no scientific evidence that our bodies need to detox. But Smith says this module is more about quick weight loss and wiping the slate clean.

"Whether the first few pounds are water or fat or a combination, when you see the numbers on the scale go down, it serves as a motivator to continue on the plan," says Smith.

Here's a sample daily meal plan for the Induction phase:

2 cups coffee (limit sugar to one packet; limit cream or milk to one teaspoon per cup)
    2 cups green, leafy vegetables, raw or cooked
    1 cup freshly squeezed lemonade with no more than 1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon psyllium husk
    4 servings fruit
    6 ounces plain, fat-free yogurt
    2 cups green salad with 3 tablespoons fat-free dressing
    1 cup cooked beans (chickpeas, lentils, etc.)
    1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
    Unlimited plain water

Phase 2, or "Transition," is the introduction of a new way of eating. The menu for this phase includes lots of unprocessed foods that are high in fiber to help you feel full on fewer calories (about 1,300 a day). The menu includes:

3 servings fruit
    4 cups raw vegetables
    1 cup beans
    4 ounces fish or poultry
    1 diet soda
    2 snacks from a list of more than 50 options, including low-fat cheese, fruit, nuts, lean roast beef, and some fun foods like marshmallows and pudding

Phase 3, or "Protein Stretch" adds lean meats, fish, milk, and eggs to the diet to avoid weight loss plateaus. The menu for these four days includes:

2 eggs or egg whites
    1 strip turkey bacon
    2 servings fruit
    1 cup raw and 2 servings cooked veggies
    1 sandwich with lean meat and 1 tablespoon low-fat mayo
    1 cup beans
    1 cup brown rice

Phase 4, or "Smooth" assumes you have learned some things about normal portions and healthy eating by now, so allows you to eat what you like in moderation. Sample menus suggest foods such as pizza and a turkey burger on a bun.

Phase 5, or "Push," takes you back to a more restrictive diet as you approach the final stretch. Four daily menus outline what you can eat. For example, one day allows you:

3 servings fruit
    1 cup beans
    2 cups green salad
    2 cups carrots
    1 cup fresh lemonade
    5 ounces skinless poultry
    2 servings cooked veggies

Phase 6, or "Pace" allows you a few more foods. A sample day includes:

2 pancakes
    2 pieces of fruit
    Green tea
    2 cups green salad
    1 cup veggie soup
    5 ounces fish
    A diet soda

The final phase, "Vigorous" is a strict plan to help you lose those last few pounds. A sample daily menu allows you:

3 pieces fruit
    Half a cucumber
    3 cups green salad
    1 1/2 cups broth-based soup
    2 snacks

The 4 Day Diet: How It Works

As long as you start with phases 1 and 2, you can follow the remaining phases in any order.

Each phase has specific exercise options that combine aerobics and strength training. Dieters are advised to progress according to their tolerance and fitness levels, and can break up fitness routines into shorter intervals. On most days of the week, more than 30 minutes of exercise is recommended.

Scattered throughout The 4 Day Diet are tips and strategies to help dieters learn to deal with situations that test self-control. For example, you might visualize how much exercise you'd need to burn off the calories from that bowl of fettuccine Alfredo, or imagine all the fat from the sauce pouring straight into your arteries. Other strategies include removing high-calorie foods from your environment, and planning ahead of time how to cope with potential temptations.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Blah. Anything that says you HAVE to eat this and you CAN'T eat that is garbage. Plus, anything that talks about "removing toxins" is BS.
    Options
    it sounds like a diet that will lead to weight loss, of course, but it seems rather restrictive and difficult to adhere to. I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't seem to address how exercise fits into the diet--whether/not to eat additional calories when you're working out, how much you should eat based on your current stats, it seems like a blanket diet not taking into account individual starting points, preferences, and activity levels. Now, I haven't read the book so this is just based on online explanations of the diet. I'd recommend not following a "diet" and learn how to eat healthily without severely restricting the foods you love.
  • soultrain1913
    soultrain1913 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks love4fitness. I have the book and he actually does talk about the things you said in your post. I'm only on Day 2 and I am following ALONG WITH MFP so I am still approaching my daily caloric intake with respect to my daily fitness activity. I have a HUGE PROBLEM with controlling what I eat but no problems with exercising daily. So I thought I would try something somewhat "restrictive" cause just doing what I want and trying to stay within 1200-1700 calories a day is not working for me lately. It worked well on my first attempt but now I'm in the last 20 lbs and the scale isn't moving and my clothes aren't getting looser!
    Options
    Thanks love4fitness. I have the book and he actually does talk about the things you said in your post. I'm only on Day 2 and I am following ALONG WITH MFP so I am still approaching my daily caloric intake with respect to my daily fitness activity. I have a HUGE PROBLEM with controlling what I eat but no problems with exercising daily. So I thought I would try something somewhat "restrictive" cause just doing what I want and trying to stay within 1200-1700 calories a day is not working for me lately. It worked well on my first attempt but now I'm in the last 20 lbs and the scale isn't moving and my clothes aren't getting looser!

well, 1200 should be basically NEVER--that's much too low for almost anyone. I guess I just don't understand the purpose of doing something like this--it's caloric restriction just like any other diet. So, if you're not adhering to the calorie recommendations you're not going to get the touted results.
  • soultrain1913
    soultrain1913 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It isn't. You can eat as much of the foods in each phase as you like. MFP recommends 1200 calories per day for my weight loss goals so I try to stick to that but just obtain it through the foods listed in the phases. My problem is I don't know what to eat so I am thinking/hoping that following this program will help me to learn what is best for me and also help me experiment with some things that are nutritional yet I've never tried them. Not everyone is aware ya know. :-) That is what the book says you should get from the program so we shall see. And that is why I posted this topic...to see if anyone had followed it and what the experience was like.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't do diets like that (have done them in my younger years - but realized that all the pain is not worth it). But what makes it hard for me is that they tell you exactly what to eat - what if I don't feel like eating a particular food choice on a particular day??? That's why Ilike to take it slow and steady - I can eat what I want, slowly lose weight, and I actually might KEEP it off!
  • graceanne120
    graceanne120 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love how many people didn't read the original post. The question was: has anyone tried it? If you don't know anything about it, don't bother answering because your uninformed opinion isn't helpful.

I'm on Day 2 of the intro phase. I really like the book. I have trouble sticking to any kind of eating plan. I've tried and failed all kinds of plans - restrictive and non-restrictive - and even tried the Intuitive Eating concept that has no plan. I ate mashed potatoes every day on that plan. Um, yeah. My intuition is to be fat and malnourished.

But, I'm always able to keep up whatever plan I'm doing for 3-4 days. I lose interest and motivation after that. So this plan that switches things up every 4 days is perfect for me. This isn't designed to be a lifestyle, it's a short-term jump start to weight loss and an introduction to eating whole foods.

This is particularly good for people who have disordered eating issues. The book has a lot of strategies for dealing with some of our problems and triggers.

I know it's been a year, Original Poster, but I hope that the nay-sayers didn't discourage you from doing what feels right for you! It's your body and we all have to do what is right for ourselves and who cares what the rest of the world things?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Completely paranoid with a dose of orthorexia thrown in.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it and never will. It sounds way too restrictive to me. Tell me I can't eat something and I'll want to eat it even more. Everything in moderation.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    What happens on day 5?

you binge and gain all the weight back. Then you start over with another 4 day diet. DUH!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    sounds like a sustainable life long approach to me