To all my ladies (or guys) who are obsessed with their hair

Options

Replies

• TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have you tried dry shampoo? Don't use it while your hair is sweaty, but after some of the sweat dries, just spray some on your roots and kinda like hairspray (not a lot though) - it helps with sweaty head smell.
  • sammiliegh
    sammiliegh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't wash your hair everytime you shower, just do a body wash..

coconut oil is a fabulous suggestion.

Also..when you shower, every other time use shampoo, then on the days you don't use shampoo, just use conditioner. The shampoo is what hurts your hair.
    And.. there is a shampoo (used normally for horses or pets, but it's for humans as well) it's called..Mane n' Tail shampoo.. that shampoo is really easy on your hair and helps it be more moisturized.
    And use leave in conditioner everytime you get your hair wet. there is this stuff called "it's a 10" and it's AMAZING. it's like 20 bucks for a bottle, but it makes your hair sooo healthy!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Don't work out twice a day.

This. For real

Unless you want to do that for the rest of your life

Why would she have to do that for the rest of her life? I used to work out twice a day because there were classes a few times a week that I liked to take. I'd do 30 min cardio and lift in the a.m. and then an aerobic class in the afternoon. I loved doing a 2/day. If I was still at the company I worked for I would be doing that still.
  • cvthatcher
    cvthatcher Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i don't wash my hair everyday. i wash it after a workout mostly, but if i missed working out that day, then i definitely don't. and i would never, ever wash it twice in a day. i'll wash it, let it do its natural wavy thing, then straighten it the next day, for example. it hold style more easily when it's not freshly washed. i use baby powder on the greasy roots (ew) and with practice, that works wonders. same concept as dry shampoo. i spritz some body splash on my brush and brush it thru my hair, and that seems to combat any odor fairly well. the longest i've gone without washing is something like 6 days! it really didn't look bad until that last day, either. to keep it from getting wet in the shower, i put it in a big bun on the top of my head and wear a thick headband right at the hairline, and maybe a shower cap. hope any of that helps!
  • cvthatcher
    cvthatcher Posts: 47 Member
    Options

why not? while overdoing exercise isn't good, if it makes her feel good, then lucky her! not to mention many people would love to have the time in their schedule to work out twice a day. i did it earlier this summer to sort of kick-start my weight loss.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If your hair gets sweaty then wash your hair without shampoo -- just water at night. Then wash it in the morning with your usual stuff. Though I don't recommend washing it everyday. Try a dry shampoo from Bed Head or Not Your Mothers, they work wonders!
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just rinse it and throw in some conditioner. I did that when I was working out 2x a day and I do it now because if I wash every day my hair falls out.

I was also going to suggest this. I did Bikram yoga every day for 30 days as a challenge with my friend, and you get NASTY sweaty. I didn't want to ruin my hair (or wash out my color lol), so I'd just rinse out all the sweat and use a dab of conditioner on the ends. I shampooed every 2-3 days. Hope that helps, you do have very pretty hair :smile:
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Don't wash your hair everytime you shower, just do a body wash..

coconut oil is a fabulous suggestion.

Also..when you shower, every other time use shampoo, then on the days you don't use shampoo, just use conditioner. The shampoo is what hurts your hair.
    And.. there is a shampoo (used normally for horses or pets, but it's for humans as well) it's called..Mane n' Tail shampoo.. that shampoo is really easy on your hair and helps it be more moisturized.
    And use leave in conditioner everytime you get your hair wet. there is this stuff called "it's a 10" and it's AMAZING. it's like 20 bucks for a bottle, but it makes your hair sooo healthy!

Before I started working out often I didn't wash my hair every day. Just have been since I've been since I'm usually soaked in sweat. By body wash you mean I can wash my hair with it?

I LOVE Mane n' Tail! Doesn't smell all that great but doesn't carry once I'm out of the shower and make my hair look amazing.

Thank you!!!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Use a sulfate free shampoo every other wash like the Loreal EverCreme. It doesn't later, but it will remove the sweat, without removing your natural oils, which keep your hair healthy. I also agree with the comment about using Extra Virgin Coconut Oil overnight.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

It works for me this way

How long are you working out each time? What are you doing? There's seriously no need to work out twice a day unless maybe you don't have time to lift and do cardio at your first workout (or you are training for a sport or endurance event). If you are doing it just to burn calories you'd be better off just eating slightly less. Our bodies don't respond well to "over training". Additionally if we set our goals too high when we start a workout program we won't stick with it.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just rinse out the sweat and condition... then I spray the hair lightly with Dove nourishing oil conditioner (does NOT weigh hair down or make greasy/oily). http://www.dove.us/Products/Hair/Treatments/Nourishing-Oil-Care-Detangler.aspx
  • christina721
    Options
    I work out 5-6 days a week and wash my hair about every 2-3 days. I wear my hair up most days to work. Also a dry shampoo could help, spray it and brush it though and where it up. Also airdry so that way you don't add any heat styling to it. Once a week I use a good conditioning mask. I have no problem :)
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

How long are you working out each time? What are you doing? There's seriously no need to work out twice a day unless maybe you don't have time to lift and do cardio at your first workout (or you are training for a sport or endurance event). If you are doing it just to burn calories you'd be better off just eating slightly less. Our bodies don't respond well to "over training". Additionally if we set our goals too high when we start a workout program we won't stick with it.

I walk 2.5 miles in the morning before work on the treadmill. At night my boyfriend runs on the treadmill and I do something like 30DS. I don't feel I'm overdoing anything really.

He gets up for work 2.5 hours before I have to be at work. So I get up with him so he can do this time at night and keeps me motivated to do more than just walk. It's not a forever thing but it's a start for now.
  • christina721
    Options
    Oh and a good leave in conditioner is great too! Check out avedas products :)
  • MrsLeyva11
    Options
    Have you tried dry shampoo? Don't use it while your hair is sweaty, but after some of the sweat dries, just spray some on your roots and kinda like hairspray (not a lot though) - it helps with sweaty head smell.

This. I use dry shampoo between washes, and it helps out a LOT. I wash my hair every other day, but the dry shampoo helps get rid of the oily look from sweating out during workouts. Plus, it keeps my hair from getting damaged by excessive shampooing. It really isn't healthy to shampoo so much. Like poster mentioned, though.. Don't do it while your hair is wet. Wait til after it's dried.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Shampooing your hair daily isn't good for it, but I'm with you, I don't like how it feels to not shampoo it. I use a sulfate free shampoo and I also add a tablespoon or two of jojoba oil to both my shampoo and conditioner bottles every week or two. The lack of sulfate makes the shampoo much less harsh, and the oil makes my hair very soft and shiny - not greasy. I have very long hair as well. If I could get over it and not shampoo every day I would because it's so much better for your hair, but it's just something I can't do.

I do have dry shampoo in my gym bag for emergencies and it works in a pinch.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    just dont wash it as much if u can, my hair is down to the back of my spine if i washed it everytime i worked out i would be bald....x
  • OnTheWayToPerfection
    OnTheWayToPerfection Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Just rinse your hair instead of shampooing.
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    DRY SHAMPOO
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Shampoo and condition it before you go to work but before you go to bed, just wet your hair but don't use those chemicals. Yes it isn't good for your hair, it does depend on what you use. If you use the expensive salon ones then it's okay but the general ones people wear aren't exactly good. If you really have to use shampoo and conditioner then how about you just don't condition before you go to bed (no-one will see and you'll use a conditioner in the morning anyways) and use a smaller amount. Also, how about you just workout only once a day and make the morning/night one a longer session?