Lentil Recipes, kid friendly?

Options
Hi there! I bought a bag of lentils for the first time the this week and I have been surfing around trying to find recipes that my kids will like. Does anyone have any suggestions here? Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from the NY Times via the Meatball Shop in NYC. Serve them like you would normal meatballs (marinara sauce) or basil pesto really works well. Also, I calculated the calories, as I just ate these today for lunch! I would chill the mixture longer than the prescribed 25 minutes, as the colder the mixture, the better it holds together,

Per meatball: 69 calories, 10 carbs, 3 g fat, 5 g protein, 4 g fiber

Veggie Balls

2 cups lentils
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    2 teaspoons salt
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    8 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean and diced
    3 large eggs
    1/2 cup grated rennet-free Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

1. Combine the lentils and 2 quarts water in a medium stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the lentils are soft but not falling apart, about 25 minutes. Drain the lentils and allow to cool.

2. Add 1/4 cup of the olive oil to a large frying pan and sauté the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme and salt over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown. Add the tomato paste and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for 15 more minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. When cool, add the lentils to the vegetable mixture.

3. Add the eggs, Parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley and walnuts to the cooled vegetables and lentils and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated. Place in the refrigerator for 25 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.

5. Roll the mixture into round golf ball-size meatballs (about 1 1/2 inches), making sure to pack the vegetable mixture firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, allowing 1/4 inch of space between the balls and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid.

6. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. Allow the meatballs to cool for 5 minutes in the baking dish before serving.

Yield: About 2 dozen 1 1/2-inch meatballs.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I lOVE lentils!

Lentils kids like?

...I got nothin'.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Oh those sound awesome! Thank you!!!
  • Devolucien
    Devolucien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If your kids like burritos, use the lentils as the beef instead of beef. Add in some cumin, turmeric, chili powder, crushed tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion etc into a big pot. Heat it up until it's cooked a bit and throw it in some wraps with a little veg and some cheese or if you're vegan, some *cheeze*. The recipe is from women's health magazine online. They always have really great tasting recipes and they are friendly enough that they are easy to make and kids generally shouldn't think its gross.

I don't remember exactly the recipe but I do remember how delicious they were! And I'm not even a fan of any variation of spicy food!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    That sounds great too. My kids usually eat anything I can pass as tacos or burritos. I use a quinoa, salsa, blackbean receipe I use as a taco filler as well that is delish! Thanks for the info! I'm finding that many things including lentils are chili like or spicy which my kids do not like either of!
  • Devolucien
    Devolucien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I feel like with lentils, you can pretty much sub them in for any meat dish or bean dish. Baked beans, bean soup, even mash them up with garbanzo beans and mix in some sweet spices (cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, allspice, cloves etc) and bake them into high fiber desserts.

We make an old italian recipe which can be altered to be healthier but it's just mashed garbanzo beans, cocoa powder, a little sugar baked into a crescent pastry and sprinkled with sugar. Find some alternative to the crescent pastry and use stevia or honey. They are amazing!
  • em_c_r
    em_c_r Posts: 23
    Options
    Lentil, Corn and Sweet Pepper Chili

1 large onion, finely chopped
    1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
    1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
    1 1/2 cups lentils, soaked overnight picked over, rinsed and drained
    2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
    1 large red bell pepper, chopped
    1 (4 1/2-oz.) can chopped green chilies, drained
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. ground coriander
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

Add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours

Honey baked lentils

1 cup lentils
    2 cups water
    2 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1 clove garlic
    1 small onion
    salt & pepper

Bake in a covered dish at 350 until tender (about an hour and a half)

Sometimes I sub 1/3 of a cup or so rice or barley for some of the lentils. I also sometimes add whatever vegetables are on hand for a one dish meal. Some that are good are carrots, celery, potato, yam, squash, turnip, cabbage and parsnip. Use what you have, "winter" vegetables work best.
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from the NY Times via the Meatball Shop in NYC. Serve them like you would normal meatballs (marinara sauce) or basil pesto really works well. Also, I calculated the calories, as I just ate these today for lunch! I would chill the mixture longer than the prescribed 25 minutes, as the colder the mixture, the better it holds together,

Per meatball: 69 calories, 10 carbs, 3 g fat, 5 g protein, 4 g fiber

Veggie Balls

2 cups lentils
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    2 teaspoons salt
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    8 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean and diced
    3 large eggs
    1/2 cup grated rennet-free Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

1. Combine the lentils and 2 quarts water in a medium stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the lentils are soft but not falling apart, about 25 minutes. Drain the lentils and allow to cool.

2. Add 1/4 cup of the olive oil to a large frying pan and sauté the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme and salt over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown. Add the tomato paste and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for 15 more minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. When cool, add the lentils to the vegetable mixture.

3. Add the eggs, Parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley and walnuts to the cooled vegetables and lentils and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated. Place in the refrigerator for 25 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.

5. Roll the mixture into round golf ball-size meatballs (about 1 1/2 inches), making sure to pack the vegetable mixture firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, allowing 1/4 inch of space between the balls and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid.

6. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. Allow the meatballs to cool for 5 minutes in the baking dish before serving.

Yield: About 2 dozen 1 1/2-inch meatballs.

Bump for later
  • madmama40
    madmama40 Posts: 42
    Options
    bump
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump!

I see some yummy ideas:-) Any more out there?