3 weeks in and already discouraged

Options
Here's a little back story. I got married last September over Labor Day Weekend. I have always struggled with my weight. Never really being over weight, just being "chunky" or "husky". For our wedding I lost 15 lbs and was very happy with where I was at. My husband and I knew we want a big family and we wanted to get started right away because we didn't know how long it would take to get pregnant. Well, in the beginning of November we found out we were expecting. We couldn't have been happier! I continued exercising and while I didn't eat AS healthy as when I was losing weight, I was still eating healthy. That didn't matter, by my 7th month I had retained so much water and swollen up so much I could no longer work out. By the end of my pregnancy, to my horror, I had gained 80 lbs. My doctor wasn't concerned and just said most of it was water weight. I had our son June 19, and have lost 45 lbs so far. I have been back at working out for 3 weeks now but it isn't easy with a newborn at home. I am breastfeeding and we have been struggling with his latch, so the less often he has to take a bottle the better. That only leaves me about 1 1/2 hours to drive to the gym, get a good workout in, get back home, and shower. So I'm down from my 1 hour workouts pre-baby to 30 minute workouts. Some nights my husband doesn't get off work until late, so I do my Pilates DVD I have at home. But some nights our son is so fussy I can't do anything. I am trying to eat the best I can and get as much workout time in as I can as well, but I'm left feeling discouraged. I am still wearing my maternity pants :cry: My husband is very supportive in watching our son so I can go to the gym, but with waking up 1-2 times a night and having to be up at 5 AM to get ready for work sometimes I'm just too exhausted. How have you other mommies juggled work, babies, and gym time?

Replies

• babydu4
    babydu4 Posts: 4
    Options
    hi! let me 1st congratulate you on your exciting events in your life!
    you are doing great and the fact that you want to do this is a huge step!
    i was the same way as u when i had my oldest..breastfeeding is a HUGE commitment and i felt i had time for nothing for myself, but eventually, with time, a schedule kind of created itself and i just tried to never give up. it is so hard to juggle everything that us mommies do, but u can do it and will find what works best for u! just make sure u continue to make time for urself, this is so important..i always kept a pic of myself up on the fridge from when i was the weight i wanted to be again so i could look at it and remember why i was dieting, gyming..now have 2 kids and i am back in the boat of trying to lose it again, so i completely understand..love this site to push eachother..good luck!! :smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    oi!

snap out of it!

you have everything you wanted, right?
    You knew that having a baby would make everything more difficult but you knew you could handle it right?
    You still can.

just puff up your chest and do what you have to do because you said you wanted to and because you want the results and you KNOW you cant get them without the hard hard pain the *kitten* work.

:)
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    The harder you work for it, the more you will value it. Sure it sucks, but looking back when you have it done you will be happy that you kicked that beast in the *kitten*..

Congrats on the family by the way.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Switch things up a bit and try getting in frequent walks with the little man, he'll enjoy the movement and fresh air and you'll burn some calories, get a jogging stroller and go for jogs too with him, getting into a routine with feeding, walk/run then nap (or however its best for him) will help you both, him being on a good sleep/eat routine and you feeling more in control of your day and if when your husband gets home you decides nap would be more beneficial than a workout you won't feel as guilty since you got a workout in already. You'll get back your body don't worry!! You just have to keep at it! You've already lost a ton of the baby weight so you're doing great!

Congrats by the way on the wedding and the baby :)
  • Shambree813
    Shambree813 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all the excitement of starting your family....and welcome to the world of being a mommy and juggling it all! You probably will not like what I have to say, but I am going to share it with you anyway because I was once a new mom struggling with the same issues(including the latching). No matter what the pro breast feeding advocates try to say as otherwise...and I AM PRO breast feeding just so you know...it is not always the most natural nor easy thing in the world for some people as they tell you it is. I struggled terribly with latching issues with BOTH my sons. One main issue was that not all breasts are built for babies to latch easily( and I wont go onto the gory details here, LOL..). I had that issue, plus both my children had very high, narrow roof of the mouth which compromised their ability to latch and stay on and get enough to eat. Translation: with baby #1... I was ALWAYS nursing every 1.5 hours, always tired, and he fussed a lot. When baby #2 came 20 months later, I had a plan. I still nursed(with the same latching issues) but I also used an electric pump as well and let him bottle feed my milk as well. It did not cause any problems, in fact everyone was MUCH happier, (a bit) more rested, and way less fussy. Both boys ate this way until at least 18 months(the younger started this way sooner than the older) and were healthy and thrived and remain very healthy...and now both over 6 feet tall haha! So....my advice would be to at least consider the option of pumping some of your milk and storing it and letting your husband have some feeding time and take a turn in the night so you arent as exhausted and can get both rest and your work outs in. I know some wont agree with me, but because of aforementioned latching issues that is what worked for me. It sounds like if you werent as tired and had a bit more time freed up, that your motivation to work out wouldnt be an issue. Good luck!
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    Congratulations on all the excitement of starting your family....and welcome to the world of being a mommy and juggling it all! You probably will not like what I have to say, but I am going to share it with you anyway because I was once a new mom struggling with the same issues(including the latching). No matter what the pro breast feeding advocates try to say as otherwise...and I AM PRO breast feeding just so you know...it is not always the most natural nor easy thing in the world for some people as they tell you it is. I struggled terribly with latching issues with BOTH my sons. One main issue was that not all breasts are built for babies to latch easily( and I wont go onto the gory details here, LOL..). I had that issue, plus both my children had very high, narrow roof of the mouth which compromised their ability to latch and stay on and get enough to eat. Translation: with baby #1... I was ALWAYS nursing every 1.5 hours, always tired, and he fussed a lot. When baby #2 came 20 months later, I had a plan. I still nursed(with the same latching issues) but I also used an electric pump as well and let him bottle feed my milk as well. It did not cause any problems, in fact everyone was MUCH happier, (a bit) more rested, and way less fussy. Both boys ate this way until at least 18 months9the younger sooner than the older) and were healthy and thrived and remain very healthy...and now both over 6 feet tall haha! So....my advice would be to at least consider the option of pumping some of your milk and storing it and letting your husband have some feeding time and take a turn in the night so you arent as exhausted and can get both rest and your work outs in. I know some wont agree with me, but because of aforementioned latching issues that is what worked for me. Good luck!

I work full-time and pump while I am at work. I don't pump as much as he eats though, so I also have to pump at night after he is finished nursing, so I really don't want to take away any nursing time that I have with him. That's my main problem I'm having right now
  • bornofashes
    Options
    You might also look into the fact that your body chemistry is still changing around and your muscles are still torn like crazy from the pregnancy and birth. It took 8-9 months to get into that shape, it'll take a few months to get out of it.

My wife had our son 2yrs ago, and her doctor was impressed she was down to around normal 8months after he was born. Sure, celebrities can snap back - but unless you have a pro trainer/chef/nanny team... it takes us mortals a bit longer.
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Mommy :)

Now, about workouts & lack of time, you can try

1) Turbo Fire HIIT workouts.. There are exercise for 15 - 20mins. You can easily fit it in.
    2) Do calisthenics at home - loads of videos available online
    3) buy weights & workout at home
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your latest addition!

I had a baby six months ago and my body is still adjusting! Keep at it.. I've had two kids and I know its difficult but keep going!!

Btw, I do the 30 Day Shred and walking - only way for me to get in exercise with one special needs child and a new baby. Only things I needed were weights, which at first, I just used books then hubby bought me 4LB weights.
  • Shambree813
    Shambree813 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I went through all that. It not very long , 2 months, you will start to introduce cereal and that may help some too. I also know I didnt like to give up the snuggle and nursing time either( I also worked full time). I think someone else also suggested walking with the baby and other activities instead of the gym which are great suggestions and might be a better option now. I wish I had done those things and got into better habits when they were small. I got so centered on being a mom that I put myself last for everything, which is what Moms do. But those years and pounds kept creeping up irregardless and I am now am stuck with a boat load of weight to lose later. Anyway....best wishes and good luck! :0)
  • gjsmommy
    gjsmommy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new blessing. Don't be so hard on yourself. It took 9 months to put on the baby weight so naturally it'll take some time to get it off. Besides, slow & steady wins the race.

Is their a way for you to either go for a walk wearing baby or jog pushing baby in the stroller? I even remember doing a few exercises wearing my babies like lunges & squats and even crunches w/baby lying on my knees (when baby could hold his head up on his own of course). Also Dvds while baby is in playpen would seem to be easier than driving somewhere to workout.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some time!

Your body went through a lot over the last year. Stop focusing on the little things.If you want to exercise, stop looking for excuses and find ways to work out with the baby. I have a mom and baby yoga dvd I liked, and we would walk a lot around the neighborhood. It doesn't have to be high impact.

The weight will come off with time, and shouldn't be the focus especially when you are nursing. Your body was stretched, and after two babies, I share your tummy issues. But, it will slowly shrink back to normal size. I lovingly referred to it as 'Bread dough belly' with my husband.

Hang in there. And, congratulations!
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement everybody! I think I will start making walks with my little man part of our daily evening routine :smile:
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hey, do what you can! For now concentrate on your diet. Cut down where you can, but in breast feeding you probably have to be carefull what you cut out. I feel there is always things that are bad for us that we can cut out. Work out when you can. Maybe the weekends when your husband is home. It took 0 months to put the weight on, so it will probably be at least that long to take it off. Don't lose site of losing but give yourself a break!!

Basil add me as a friend
  • tarag8100
    tarag8100 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Girl - you are a rock star. You have all these things going on and you're are still doing it. It's hard and sometimes you want to give up but instead of giving up, you called out for help on here. You will make it work. I believe in you. I don't have any helpful hints - sorry!! I don't have kids but I have 7 nieces and nephews. I've seen my sisters struggle. I just know that you can't give up and it sounds like you are thinking through the situation rather than giving up. I know you can be successful. I'm going to friend you :-) sending a big internet hug.
  • RDawn7
    RDawn7 Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi, Congrats on your your new baby. I am a mother of 4. My first baby was the hardest for me. It takes a lot of adjusting. A new baby changes your whole lifestyle. But, in so many rewarding ways. Don't feel discouraged. It takes about a year for your body to adjust to all the changes your body has been through. Focus on enjoying your new baby. Eat healthy, exercise when you can. Try to buy a variety of exercise videos you can do at home so you don't get bored. Being a mom is exercise enough. Good luck.
  • WendelinTheWeird
    WendelinTheWeird Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your wedding, your baby, and losing 45 pounds already! That's awesome. I agree with taking him for walks (if you use a baby carrier, he can sleep in it while you walk) or jogging with a stroller. Can you do some yoga with him next to you? I still use my daughter for "weight lifting", even though she's a very dainty baby. Some days, my exercise was just walking laps while carrying the baby. Sometimes I'd do some squats while holding the counter. All that said, just give it some more time! Like so many have said, it took nine months for this to happen, it's going to take some time to go back. At least give yourself a year. You won't be in maternity clothes the whole time (unless you're like me and you just can't give up the pj pants!) but you have to give yourself enough time to recover. Good luck! :)