Slow Fat Runner

Options
Yep that's me. I didn't know I even liked running until I went to a boot camp and he made us run. I always had that mentality that since I am big I can't run! Well I did and I can! So I lost a little weight and quit. I gained back some and now I am back on the wagon again trying to lose weight. I thought this time around I am not going to think of it as a diet but that I am an athlete in training! I am big, and I like to run but really cant. I started the C25K program on my iphone yesterday. Today on facebook I saw a local 5K and I just registered!!!! It is in two weeks! LOL I felt like I needed something to motivate me so I will keep going. Now to my question...... will other runners laugh at me or think bad if I have to walk and jog???? Is there something I need to know that will help me train for more races to come? Special clothes or shoes? I tend to get shin splits bad after I run for a week or more. I want to run every day until the race...more like walk fast/jog LOL

Any other slow fat runners out there with advice?

Replies

• ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I ran my first SEVERAL 5Ks at a walk/run...don't feel ashamed of that! You're out there doing it! You'll feel so proud of yourself when you cross that finish line.

I started running about four years ago and it wasn't until the past two years that I was able to run farther than a mile without a walk break. It takes some time, but don't give up! Running has been the best thing to happen to me physically.
  • ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh, also, there are lots of training plans online you can use to get in shape for a race. I prefer Hal Higdon's plans, he has them for runners of all capabilities and distances.

Basically, you want a good pair of shoes (and a good sports bra for the girls!) to get started. I ran in old stuff for years before I started buying running-specific gear. But that's the beauty of running: minimal gear!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Nobody will laugh. Everybody atarted sometime and nearly everbody remembers how hard it was when they first started.
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I started running a year ago doing c25k and I am now training for a half marathon and i now look like my profile pic. I think what you are doing is great. Every time I go for a run and see someone over weight running I think 'good on you!' and when I see people walking with no attempt at running i think 'run, damn you!'.

The vast majority of runners love seeing other people out running, even if there is walking involved. Just keep to the side so you can be passed easy and check iPod rules as they are sometimes banned.

Re shin splints, I suggest you need better shoes.

My first fun run was 5 mile and I ran it in 56 minutes. This week in my lunch hour I ran 5 mile in 40:30. Running is great for giving you a sense of achievement and burning calories.

Good luck and welcome to the running club!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    There'll be lots of people walking and jogging. Keep going with your C25, and use the upcoming race as your motivation. On the day, run as much as you comfortably can. Do it! You'll be great.

No-one will laugh at you. My experience of runners is that they're a fabulous, lovely, supportive bunch. A few months ago, I did a 10k, and came stone, stone last. It was a small event, with mostly club runners. To a person, they were all lovely. I didn't feel patronised, I certainly wasn't laughed at. I was *supported*. They were great.

(From another slow fat runner.... Currently training for her second half marathon. :-) )
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Keep running! Have you seen the blog post about the "Fat Girl"? Look it up and read it! It will tell you what other runners see when they look at you. I put it on my fridge at home.

I still only do 5k's in about 36 minutes, but I'm lapping everyone on the couch!!

Edited to say: If you are having shin splints, I suggest you get fitted for running shoes. Completely changed my running!!
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just did a 5k on Saturday and there were many doing the run/walk thing. Nobody will laugh. Everyone started somewhere. I would recommend that you sign up for a 5k around the time you are to finish c25k. That's what I did and I ended up running the whole 5k. It also helped that I had a friend/seasoned running with me, staying back to keep me motivated to get going.

If you are really serious about running, you should invest in some running shoes. Find a local running shoe store and get fitted. Don't just go to a regular shoe store and pick one out based on looks. Running shoes are made for different types of feet based on your stride and such.

Also, search some youtube videos for proper running techniques. Heel strikes are a big problem for a lot of new runners, including myself, which causes shin splints and other running pains. But from my experience, it's not logical to think you can just go out there and put into effect all those techniques. You have to build up strength and endurance to get there. LIke I thought I needed to make sure to kick back my legs, which made me go way too fast and my lungs and heart were very unhappy with me.

For any new runner I always say that it is going to be tough and hard, but once you get your head in the game you can do it! Running is such a mental game of pushing yourself.

Also, I'm 5 feet 0.5 inches and weigh 170 pounds and I run! You can do this! Just keep at it. And when in doubt, repeat a c25k week. I had to do that around the halfway mark. Oh yeah, and I just started a blog http://momto5k.com to chat about all my experiences to becoming a runner. Here's a post all about my c25k journey with stats and numbers of how fast I was running and all that jazz. http://momto5k.com/2012/08/14/my-c25k-journey/

Good luck!
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Get better shoes!

And anyone that thinks badly of a person for running while fat is a tool. I started when I was heavier, so I appreciate the guts it takes to get out there and do it. Have fun!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Adding to meerkat's comment about runners being supportive. (It's a very inclusive club......)

251042_10150629708645422_823355421_18664305_4506408_n.jpg

This picture was taken at the 2011 Ottawa Marathon, my tri club sets up a cheering station on Wellington and we waited out the last of the walkers.

I'm slow and a little less fat than I used to be but I've found nothing but encouragement and support from other runners.

Just remember to smile as you cross the finish line.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm slow, not fat. I've been running off and on for over 15 years, but just got more serious in the last 2 years and am running my first half marathon in October. I can tell you what I think every time I see someone who is overweight, running or walking, struggling or passing me by - I think "good on you." It inspires me and makes me want to work harder. Because while it may never be exactly "easy" to be in shape or be committed to physical fitness, I think when you get to a certain point, and you're in the habit of it and seeing results, it does get easier. The HARDEST steps are the first ones. So to anyone and everyone who takes those first steps, you have my admiration, and as another poster said, "welcome to the club." :)

And, oh yeah, this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JnYcuRW_qo
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,
    At least you're out there moving. I think that's great. You're doing better than I am. You've inspired me to try harder.
    Take care,
    Doni
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Love this topic! That's me in a nutshell. I love running and I'm very slow. I don't get too hung up on speed, sometimes I try to push it and do a lil' high intensity interval training. Mostly I go for distance. Good for you! I have found nothing but support at races and no one will laugh at you for walking. I'm training for a 14mile trail race 3400 feet up a mountain. Believe me when I tell you I'll be doing LOTS of walking!!
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The running community is the most supportive group I've ever been involved with. I started running 25 years ago, one telephone pole at a time. Because of a recent foot surgery, I was sidelined. I gained 20 pounds, but I'm back at it, running a 17 minute mile-pretty slow, but you have to build up your endurance slowly. So, be patient, and who cares what anyone else thinks? The big picture is you're eating well, and moving your body. Never give up!!!!!
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm slow AND I'm fat. Obese if you want me to be truly honest. I have tried running several times over the years and always quit because I was afraid of being laughed at/made fun of. I don't know if it's age or if I finally just hit my stride in life... but I don't give a rats hind-end if people are staring/laughing or making fun of me. It's my body. I am who I am. I am doing this for me and nobody else.

I sweat like a beast and huff and puff down my road and yet I LOVE IT! I'm in my 5th week of C25K and don't foresee myself ever not being a runner now. I get my tubby little body dressed and ready for my runs every single other night. Haven't missed one and I don't intend to. I want to get faster and better, and I know that that will only happen with time.

Good for you and me and all of us for getting up and moving. No matter what the exercise!

Would love to be your buddy if you want one. My first 5k is September 8th. I know I will have to walk sections of it, but I've got to start somewhere or I'll never get anywhere!
  • nefbaker
    nefbaker Posts: 79
    Options
    In It To Finish It
    That's the motto on the back of Team Last Place's T-shirts. We run. We walk. We laugh. We talk with people on the sidelines. We averaged a 14 minute mile for a marathon on our first time out. I was 240 lbs. at the time.
    You won't always be fat...I just dropped under 195 for the first time since my 20s. (I'm 45)
    And
    You won't always be slow....I'm now averaging an 11 minute mile pace over 10 miles. I'm not fast...yet.
    The whole reason I kept with running is that my first race, everyone who passed me encouraged me. The people on the sideline encouraged me. The people at the finish line encouraged me.
    Listen to your body. Walk when you need to.
    And have fun.
  • Peeriegemgem
    Options
    Go for it! I find as a newbie runner, the community is amazing - people in my city will typically smile as they go by you, its a sort of mutual respect - irrespective of how fast the person is running or how big the person is running.

I do feel the one great thing about running is hey - you're only up against yourself. Its seeing the improvements in yourself. At the start of this year I had never run before, by June I finished a 12k manic obstacle course run, and now can run 10ks no problem - my next goal is to do a half marathon. It's a very personal thing, and a very easy thing to measure progress wise... running that little bit further, or that little bit faster.

All the best for your 5k :)

Edit - regarding the shin splints, go to a running shop, have them check your gait on a treadmill. I used to suffer really badly, but got Nike Fitsoles, and these have helped immensely - so what they were expensive, but if it means less injury, it is a sound investment!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned I started one light pole at a time! If I see anyone running, regardless of shape or weight, it always makes me smile because that first step really is the hardest and you (not anyone else) are moving yourself forward! I've seen a lot of people walk/run races...I've had to do it myself in the past! Its not how you got to the finish line that counts, its that you got there!!

I agree that runners are a great group of people!! I always make it a point to stand at the finish line cheering other runners on, if someone passes me or vice versa I let them know they are doing a great job. No one will laugh at you or makes remarks, if anything they will be proud of you! :)

P.S. Good shoes are the most important thing a runner can have!! :) Good luck at your race!! :)
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    no one laughs. On the trail the other more fit runners always seem really supportive. We all run for the same reasons: to feel good about ourselves, to get in shape, or cuz we love it!
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm a super slow runner (more like walker, but who's counting?) who easily weighs as much as 3 of the girls at the front of the race. I've done one 5K so far, and I'm getting ready to do another at the end of September and a third one in October. I've never had anyone laugh at or make fun of me. As a matter of fact, I've found most people to be quite the opposite. The rest are idiots and don't matter.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    When I started Couch to 5K I was 245 lbs. I was a slow fat runner too.
    Now I am a average little bit faster runner lol I have never focused on speed, I am more about distance.

GOOD LUCK

You will do great.