Baked potato vs Steak fries

Options
which is better? (health and calorie wise)

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Need you really ask?
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on how the "steak fries" are prepared. Are they homemade and baked or...? How is the baked potato prepared?
  • cheergirl1993
    cheergirl1993 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The baked potato will have one packet of butter and im not sure about the fries, its a restauraunt locally. the side choices are rice baked pot. fries or vegetable medly and I seriously cannot eat the other two. Thank you for answering..

As to above poster yes i do need to ask...............
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ask for a baked potato with the butter on the side. That way you can control how much butter is used. The potato's skin could have been coated with oil before baking. The fries will likely be fried in oil. That should help you make your decision.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    As to above poster yes i do need to ask...............

Calorie wise, the steak fries are higher because they will have absorbed some of the oil from the frier.

The baked potato CAN be higher, but only if its covered in oil(aka butter)... and it can be way higher if you add sour cream, bacon, chili, etc...
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Look in the database. Generally a baked potato, no skin, no butter.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    why cant you eat the veggies?
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Are you addicted to potatoes? I used to be. It's very hard to cut them out of your life. Why cant you eat the veggie medley? You dont like vegetables? Because that would be the BEST choice for you. Remember, this should be a life style change....

Nothing will change if you cant make those changes.
  • cheergirl1993
    Options
    i do like veggies but its mostly cauliflower which i do not... thanks for the suggestions baked potato it is! I wouldnt go as far to say im addicted but i do enjoy them..
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about the restaurant the op is going to, but many restaurant vegetable sides are (IMO) disgusting canned veggies or frozen, but cooked to mush. I would take a baked potato any day over that!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about the restaurant the op is going to, but many restaurant vegetable sides are (IMO) disgusting canned veggies or frozen, but cooked to mush. I would take a baked potato any day over that!

not to mention that they may contain MORE calories then his plain baked potato, because of the butter added...

just like salad and grilled chicken, people often think restaurant veggies = healthy... really its a crapshoot.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    depends on your macros and what oil (if any) you use to fry the fries.

If you need fat, then cooking the steak fries in peanut oil wouldn' t be that bad.
  • cheergirl1993
    Options
    thanks guys, I def agree about the veggies being nasty lol! I ordered a baked potato and it was wonferful!