Exercises to help lower back pain?

Options
I was hit by a truck when I was five. Actually he ran over me twice, once in reverse and once in forward. I was paralyzed for a month and had to learn to walk again. As a result my hips are out of alignment. The pain has gradually worsened in my lower back over the years to the point where I hurt 24-7. I have done everything short of surgery. The problem is my exercising keeps aggravating it making the pain worse. Any ideas of what I can do to strengthen those muscles so they can handle my running and strength training better?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Catcamels.
    Crunches (About the only thing crunches are useful for)
    Downward Dog
    Back extension
    Bridge
    Plank

Depending. Ask your doctor.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a physical therapist? If not, that would be my first step.

Yoga helped my back pain but again, first step is to talk to a physical therapist.
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    I do the childs yoga pose, knees on floor and arms strechted over and hold, then repeat to strecth back out, gosh Im sorry to hear that and I do hope that u find some exercises that wont be aggrevating--have u googled it? :flowerforyou:
  • toriavict
    Options
    I agree with whoever said Physical therapist. I used to have awful back pain when i was in Highschool and then i started seeing a physical therapist three times a week. after about a month or two the back pain completely went away. As for exercises we primarily used a yoga ball and resistance bands. It was an amazing experience!
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes I have seen several physical therapist and chiropractors. They get me to a certain point and say they can't do any more. Then I get lazy and stop doing the exercises. Lately talk is of surgery and I don't want that so I don't go back. It's been awhile since I cared enough to try again and can no longer remember most of the exercises I did. Wellbert I looked some of those up and they were ones I have done. Thank You. This is the first time I cared about getting it in good enough shape to exercise so was hoping since people on here are so well informed that I might get some ideas.
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :( Life stinks when your in pain. Delivering my daughter broke my tailbone and Boy is life hard when your back hurts. Yoga may be worth a try.