1200 Calories?!

Options
Ok so my Calories have always been automatically set at 1200. It was 1200 when I started over a year ago and 1200 now that I'm back. Any tips on good filling meals/snacks that won't take up all my calories??
Thanks!!!!

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Fish (tilapia, salmon, cod especially), chicken, string cheese, oatmeal, various fruit and veggies of pretty much all types, canned tuna, veggie burgers, protein shakes, etc.

Tons of stuff out there! :)
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    add 200 calories to that .. its the bare minimum especially if you exercise...

However.. Healthy snacks..

Turkey jerky... Eat the recommended serving size once a day

natural peanut butter and an apple.

scoop of whey and a small banana blended over water

hrmmm various vegetables and humus

Personally on a daily rotation I eat a protein bar and beef jerky.. But I have different fitness goals than you I am sure.

GOogle healthy quick snacks..
  • 115perfection
    115perfection Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR and TDEE! And eat above BMR and below TDEE. If you eat any less than that your body will not keep the weight off.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Go to the BMR calc, input the info, and eat just above what it tells you.

****KEEP IN MIND; on that calc it says "current weight" and "goal weight" - input your current weight for both!

Sometimes it can get confusing so just google BMR calc, most are pretty accurate (imho)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    some of my favorite snacks are:

low fat string cheese
    cottage cheese
    dr kracker pumpkin seed flat bread
    yogurt (lactose free by yoplait)
    hard boiled egg
    peanut butter

favorite foods:
    asian veggie burger from morning star
    rice noodles
    hummus (this can also go under snacks)
    veggies
    fruit
    99% lean turkey
    chicken
    96% lean hamburger
  • lovemydogjake
    lovemydogjake Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1200 is where I am as well - I agree, tuna with just relish for me every day at lunch. Lots of fruit, celery, grilled veggies (squash, zucchini, carrots, brussel sprouts and asparagus) every week prove to be filling. I eat PureProtein bars every once in a while - a few calories to them but low sugar, lots of protein and if I drink water while eating it fills me up.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    Snacks : cucumber, carrots, peas, grapes, cherries, banana.

Food: Soups, baked fish, shrimp, boiled veggies.
  • sierrajade2012
    Options
    LOTS OF VEGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know some pretty yummy recipes:

Slim Down Pancakes:
    1/4 cup egg whites
    1 scoop of all natural protein powder (i use vanilla but you can use any flavor)
    1/2 banana, mashed
    1/4 cup blueberries
    1/2 tbsp flax seed

mix all ingredients together (add blueberries last) cook in a non-stick frying pan (if your pan is good enough you shouldn't need cooking spray) and cook like a pancake, if it doesnt stay together just scramble it lol.

I eat this everymorning (changing the ingredients like this morning i put cut up strawberries in it-and if you find its not sweet enough add some stevia:) breakfast is always the meal i struggle most with
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    -smart pop popcorn (15 cals per cup)
    -Veggie Straws (about 38 for 130 cals) or Natural Cheetos (around the same serv. size & nutrition)
    -laughing cow cheese wedge (35 cals) and whole wheat crackers (find some that are around 10 cals each)
    -fresh berries and fat free cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt
    -sugar free jello pudding cups (60 cals) with fat free cool whip (15 cals per 2tbsp)
    -raw veggies with light ranch dressing

for desserts:
    -fiber one brownies (90 cals)
    -Arctic Zero Ice Cream (about 37 cals per 1/2 cup, delicious & high protein!)
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    Anything fresh will be low calories. A cup of fruit will always be 100 calories or less. I'm having 1 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup strawberries and orange juice on the side and it only comes to 244 calories! That's super great! I try to keep breakfast around or under 300 calories as my breakfasts are important but can go way over calorie limit if I let it.

Stay away from anything made in a factory and you'll do fine!
  • sandygaylegunn
    sandygaylegunn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You might want to go to blogs and look up Chelle's blog. She has recipes with photos of amazing things, like the zero calorie ****ake noodles. Also, you can google Hungry Girl and find great recipes there. Good luck.
  • mfittracker
    Options
    Ok so my Calories have always been automatically set at 1200. It was 1200 when I started over a year ago and 1200 now that I'm back. Any tips on good filling meals/snacks that won't take up all my calories??
    Thanks!!!!
    I'd suggest starting by eating more than 1200 a day.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR and TDEE! And eat above BMR and below TDEE. If you eat any less than that your body will not keep the weight off.

****KEEP IN MIND; on that calc it says "current weight" and "goal weight" - input your current weight for both!

Sometimes it can get confusing so just google BMR calc, most are pretty accurate (imho)

This maybe a dumb quesiton but what's TDEE? :smile:
  • cbelt82
    cbelt82 Posts: 62
    Options

i just did this and it says I should eat 1691 calories a day... why is that so much higher than MFP??
  • 115perfection
    115perfection Posts: 109 Member
    Options

i just did this and it says I should eat 1691 calories a day... why is that so much higher than MFP??

I appologize for the confusion but that BMR calc sucks lol! Try this one instead: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • kirsty736
    Options
    I eat around 1200 calories most days, feel free to look at my diary. Although I'm not really a snacker so its mainly meals!
  • laurenjessica315
    laurenjessica315 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash! SOOOO filling and delish and low cal!
    cottage cheese, greek yogurt, hummus and veggies, skinnypop......i love healthy snacks.
    For a sweet tooth - baked bananas are amazing. Cut a banana in half lengthwise, drizzle with a little honey or agave and sprinkle with cinnamon.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Probably because most websites factor a smaller deficit. At your weight, you should be around 1 lb per week. Change your goal and you will see a difference.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Did you set your weight loss goal to 2 pounds a week? Looks like you are only trying to lose 15 pounds, try setting MFP goal to 1/2 a pound a week. 2 pounds a week is not reasonable for those with not a lot of weight to lose.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

no, that gives you your current TDEE.(Maintenance calories).

You do not eat that, you need to deduct a defict from that if you have put in your current weight as your goal weight.
    deduct 20%, or 500 cals, or whatever deficit you chose.

Also remember that this TDEE is TOTAL Expenditure, so includes exercise, therefore you don't eat back your workout calories.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    LOTS OF VEGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know some pretty yummy recipes:

Slim Down Pancakes:
    1/4 cup egg whites
    1 scoop of all natural protein powder (i use vanilla but you can use any flavor)
    1/2 banana, mashed
    1/4 cup blueberries
    1/2 tbsp flax seed

mix all ingredients together (add blueberries last) cook in a non-stick frying pan (if your pan is good enough you shouldn't need cooking spray) and cook like a pancake, if it doesnt stay together just scramble it lol.

I eat this everymorning (changing the ingredients like this morning i put cut up strawberries in it-and if you find its not sweet enough add some stevia:) breakfast is always the meal i struggle most with

It should be noted that cooking whey protein powder denatures it's protein content. To avoid this, cook on low temperatures and avoid deep frying. For these pancakes, adding in soy flour may be a better alternative to the whey protein.