Ankle felt like it was gonna break while running?

Options
I run a lot. like about 5-6 miles at least 4 days a week. the other day, i started to try running, and i had to stop, because my ankle bone area felt like it was gonna break, so painful to walk on. so i stopped. now it still hurts. and its hard to even walk on. i'm slightly limping when i walk. it also looks slightly swollen, and has a lot of warmth there, like it feels hot all the time. does this just sound like i injured my foot some how? i don't understand how i did it. i don't remember hurting it? what exactly did i do. pull a muscle on the side of my foot or something? how long will it take to heal, any one know. im eager to get back to my running. you don't think its any thing serious like i have weak bones or something to do? i'm just worried about it.

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    sounds like a sprain to me.

RICE the heck out of it and see a dr if you see no improvement after a few days.

As someone who was stupid and ran through a sprain, i would recommend NOT doing it. I had to deal with issues for years afterwards.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Could be a stress fracture too. I'd see your doc.
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Stay off it and get it checked out. Even a sprain will sideline you for 2 months :sad: more if you don't take care of it.
  • Winters0Girl
    Options
    bump
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Please go see your doctor.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ice and elevate (20 on, 20 off). Make an appointment with an orthopedist. It sounds like a stress fracture or strain from overuse. For something like that they'll usually do some PT to strengthen the ligaments and tendons surrounding the ankle, as well as the calf.

Hope you get better soon. Good luck!