6 Dangerous exercises not to do by fitbie...

Options
i logged off my email acct and seen this on msn, so i decided to check it out, sure enff, there was some interesting info on there
the first one was the Plow Pose for yoga, the second was straight leg lifts, third was deep squats, the power clean, full situps and the knee extension machine....
i've been using the knee extenstion machine for quite some time and have not noticed any pain yet but is there any exercise that is good for hamstring/quads and calves? any help would be nice cuz i alternate upper/lower body strength training every 2nd day and i'm starting to come on lower body soon,
thanks

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Lunges! Squats! Box jumps!

All can hit your quads.

I don't understand the issue with cleans and straigt leg lifts.

I do know about the knee extension machine. Perhaps this advice was more for novice lifters.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the yoga pose, but there is nothing wrong with the other exercises. As with any exercise, proper technique is important to avoid injury. Squats and cleans are complicated movements and should treated with respect, but are not dangerous. Straight leg lifts are fine if you keep your spine flat, again technique is key. Sit ups can aggravate pre-existing low back issues. Leg extension machines can aggravate knee problems, but are not dangerous.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    What is fitbie??
    Plow pose in yoga is dangerous if you have neck problems and poor form. I agree with that one. If you don't have neck problems and you do it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. It's a hard pose though so you have to work up to it by working on your core strength before you attempt it.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    got a link to the article?

like everything else, when done wrong these exercises can do more damage then good. but when done right, they are all good for you.

I would add a caution about the knee extensions. I've been told by several sport dr's and physio therapists that they can be dangerous if you've had certain kinds of knee trouble (which I have). I don't really recommend them to anyone, as there is always a better way to work those particular muscles.
  • girlinteepee
    girlinteepee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, tat sound good, i'll try the lunges and the squat, but here is the link for the article, thanks again for the help, im gonna check out some online vids on how to the proper technique, thanks again

http://fitbie.ca.msn.com/get-fit/tips/6-dangerous-exercises-you-should-never-do/tip/0
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Straight leg deadlifts - people do this to tone the abs
    u wot m8?
    Because a power clean is so technical, it's extremely easy to do it incorrectly
    if there is a chance you'll get it wrong don't do it. That right there is a life lesson
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    ZOMG deep squats can hurt your knees! Do quarter squats instead yo!

Article is stupid and incorrect. Carry on.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Deep squats? Deep squats are way better for your knees than half squats.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

LOL. Read the article. The person who said that is the "star" of Buns of Steel.

http://stronglifts.com/how-deep-should-you-squat-anyway/
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

LOL. Read the article. The person who said that is the "star" of Buns of Steel.

http://stronglifts.com/how-deep-should-you-squat-anyway/

Buns of steel is serious business.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I feel compelled to state for the record that I am in favor of deep squatting.
  • girlinteepee
    girlinteepee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    wow, i tried the lunges, 2 reps at 11 each with 10lbs weights, i havent felt like this sore since i started doing the lower & upper body weights for the first time, but this is worth it, but it feels like i need one of the those hemorroid seats or some help getting up from a chair, lol i think i'm gonna slowly shy away from the leg extension and try this more with some cables next...FYI