Running in Jamaica?

Options
Hey there,

does anybody have any suggestions. I'm going to be honeymooning in Jamaica from 09/03 to 09/10. We're staying at a very nice resort. I really don't want to not run on vacation. I'm training for a half marathon and I'm part of a group - when I get back we'll have some long distances to run and I don't want to get set back with my training. I don't really want to run on the treadmill - but the beach is only like 1/2 a mile long so it'd be a lot of back and forth. plus I've never run on the beach before. Everybody tells me it's not safe to leave the resort - We're staying in Montego Bay. So I guess my questions are: 1) should I run on the treadmill at a 1-2 incline? (I honestly HATE running on the treadmill). 2) should I venture off the resort (I would bring pepper spray and/or something to protect myself with) or 3) should I just run on the beach and keep running back and forth?

Also - does anybody have any suggestions about a good time of day to run in Jamaica. I've never worked out on vacation before - but this training is really important to me, so I want to make sure that I do it.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I would go with option #3, and run when it's the most cool
  • Rebroland
    Rebroland Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Also - I forgot to ask - does anybody have any tips for running on the beach? Should I run barefoot? Or run in my shoes?

Thanks again!
  • Tata4now1074
    Options
    I don't know about running on the beach, but my chiropractor has suggested walking on the beach barefoot. My understanding is that it gives you a different type/resistance to the work-out.

I would NOT go off resort by yourself...even with some kind of protection. Jamaica is very nice when you are on resorts and all, but when you go off it is totally different culture.

You could check with the resort to see what they suggest. They may have some kind of walking trail or something that you might be able to do that. I know when we went, they had activites going on all the time.

As far as time of day, I would suggest earlier in the day. The temperature doesn't change a whole lot from morning to night, but the SUN beating down does change.

Just take care of yourself and BE SAFE!!!!
  • Rebroland
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips so far! Does anybody have any suggestions for transitioning from the street to the beach?
  • MarthaRN
    MarthaRN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The concierge should be able to help. I've been twice. What resort are you staying at? And congrats on the marriage. I love being married.
  • Rebroland
    Options
    The concierge should be able to help. I've been twice. What resort are you staying at? And congrats on the marriage. I love being married.

Thank you! We're staying at Secrets St. James in Montego Bay. Know anything about this resort?
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I also honeymooned in Jamaica, at our resort, you would have been able to get in some good hills and just run around on the sidewalks there. But i would say absolutely do NOT venture off the resort. The staff there told us numerous times of that, and I would agree with them. Beautiful place though, you will love it!
  • gacornell
    gacornell Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go with the beach or the treadmill. My sister and her in-laws go to Jamaica once a year and they never leave the resort without a group. I've been to Montego Bay and trust me, once you get there you will realize without talking to anyone that you shouldn't run by yourself. I've seen a lot of people run barefoot, or use those toe shoes to run on the beach. I think you will actually find you can run half the distance and get the same workout on the beach. Maybe do that one day and the treadmill the next to change it up.
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just stayed 2 weeks at Secrets Wild Orchid, I ran around the resort to get some exercise, there were many that did so in the AM. Also, they have a bike tour that goes out every morning, you could go with them, just run it instead of biking - they venture into mobay, but you are with employees....

BTW congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
  • rosekittie
    rosekittie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Montego Bay. If you are staying at a resort you can run around the resort with no problems. If you are staying at a hotel on the strip I wouldn't run there. The sidewalks are much too narrow for that and you will get hit on every 3 minutes.
  • dbhealthylife
    Options
    Never been to Jamaica, but been to Trinidad, but to answer your question, I would go with option #3, and I always thinks it's best to run early in the AM or Late PM....enjoy and be safe!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Stay on property! Jamaica is full of wonderful people, but it can be dangerous if you wander into the wrong place.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Do NOT go off the Resort!!! Pepper spray won't help in Jamaica! Ask the Concierge after you get there what you should do. I don't know if you have traveled out of this Country before, but you should get in-depth info from Travel Agents, Hotel people...even US Consulate when necessary.
  • alatoyajones
    alatoyajones Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I honeymooned in Jamaica it is a very beautiful place but stay within the resort. I would run early AM along the beach it is the same but your safe. That is what matters!!! Congradulations!!!!!
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do NOT go off the Resort!!! Pepper spray won't help in Jamaica! Ask the Concierge after you get there what you should do. I don't know if you have traveled out of this Country before, but you should get in-depth info from Travel Agents, Hotel people...even US Consulate when necessary.

^ this is ridiculous and insulting.

I honeymooned in Jamaica as well. Every Jamaican out there is not waiting to rape and murder you. They might force you to buy a necklace or something. We ventured off the resort multiple times (even at night!) and met very very nice people. The resort doesn't want you to spend your money anywhere else but there. Of course they tell you that. It's ignorant and insulting to the majority of the beautiful Jamaican people.

Be aware and be smart. Don't let all this crap scare you from the real Jamaica and the real people of the country.
  • kvg1210
    kvg1210 Posts: 35
    Options

^ this is ridiculous and insulting.

I honeymooned in Jamaica as well. Every Jamaican out there is not waiting to rape and murder you. They might force you to buy a necklace or something. We ventured off the resort multiple times (even at night!) and met very very nice people. The resort doesn't want you to spend your money anywhere else but there. Of course they tell you that. It's ignorant and insulting to the majority of the beautiful Jamaican people.

Be aware and be smart. Don't let all this crap scare you from the real Jamaica and the real people of the country.

I so much agree - I lived in Jamaica for 7 months and absolutely loved it. Yes people do try and rip you off when you are a tourist but hey I can travel to London and have the same done to me and I'm English lol. It's a matter of using your common sense and yes although the resorts are lovely, nothing compares to the trueness of the real Jamaica and the people there. Also I do not use British pounds or US dollars, I deal only in Jamaican dollars and get a much fairer deal. If you do want to use foreign cash then make sure you know what the rate is and do not change your money at the hotels they charge a higher rate. Go to a cambio - there are usually several of them in and around your resort. Women watch out for the gigolos and men watch out for the female version lol. Like I said earlier use use your common sense, don't flash money, jewellery and cameras etc around. At the end of the day have a wicked time - Jamaica is certainly a fabulous place to visit.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would definitely run on the resort. If the beach is long enough great. Otherwise I would do paths within the resort or the treadmill.

I did venture off the resort when in Negril but was with my hubby. I would not do it on my own. Sorry, but I feel running in any foreign country you do not know is a bad idea.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go off the resort. It can be pretty shady in some places. I did venture out but I was on a bike...second thought I probably shouldn't have done it!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Along with the other advice you've already received, also ask your hubby-to-be to chill out at the beach while you run. Even if he's not involved, you would be a lot safer because it's not a big beach so he'd be able to see you, so if you didn't pass him after running to the end, he'd know something was up.

Jamaica sounds awesome, I really hope you have a good time while you're there!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The vacation was last year, let this thread RIP