Not losing. "Overtraining" and NOT eating enough?

Options
I am typing this quickly on my phone so i apologize in advance if something reads weird.

I started this regime probably 1-2 months ago, and i need some help.
I am 5'2" and weigh about 138. I want to be 125 but I don't care as long as I am fit and not "overweight."

I have been eating ~1400-1500 calories a day for about a month now (before i was eating 1100...) regardless of what type of exercise I do. I do 4 days of cardio for an hour each (Average HR of 155-165 and about 580 cals burned), and 2 days of weights (3 sets of 6-8 exercises back-to-back ) and a day of rest. I drink 8-10 cups of water a day. I have lost at most one pound, and that was only in the beginning (I lost 3, plateaued, then gained 2 back when I started weight training 3 weeks or so ago). I had lost nearly an inch off my waist as well, but the tape measure hasn't moved in a few weeks.

This trainer at my gym says I am not seeing results anymore because I am overtraining and not eating enough. She says I should be NETTING more than 1200-1400 calories per day and cutting my workouts down to half the time and taking an additional day of rest; however, I'm afraid of doing this. It means I need to eat 1820+ calories on certain days when I'm used to ~1400-1500. This scares me because when I just eat 1400 a day without exercise I gain weight. I also feel like I'm being "lazy."

Am I really being that hard on my body? Should I really rest more, workout less, and eat more to see weightloss progress? It's so counterintuitive.

My diary is open if you want to see it (50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat). Ignore yesterday as it was my anniversary/birthday dinner. I have already been eating more the past few days because I had been tired and napping...which I didn't need to do a few weeks ago.

Replies

• Karhyn
    Karhyn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just took a quick peak at your diary and I personnaly believe that you are lacking fibres...Not a lot of fruits and veggies in your diet. You might want to look at adding some :) That could possibly do it...

My diary is open to friends so if you want to peak, just add me :)

Karhyn
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    "Am I really being that hard on my body? Should I really rest more, workout less, and eat more to see weightloss progress? It's so counterintuitive. "

It feels that way doesn't it?

I agree 100000000000% with your trainer. Overtraining and not allowing your body to rest and actually make a change. I also agree that you are eating too few calories. :)

On lifting days I net about 1800 calories and on non-lifting days I net about 1500-1600.

Although it may seem counterintuitive to take a rest day, and eat more I've found atleast in my experience that I was overtraining. I switched to lifting 3 days a week, upped my calories, and the weight just started coming off.

For reference I am 5'3 and weigh 112 pounds with a body fat % of 18%. I am a firm believer of NO REST, NO GAIN.

Here's a link you might really find helpful.
    http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

Best of luck!
  • Ver2
    Ver2 Posts: 37
    Options
    Rainbow, thanks so much ! Can I add you? Also how can I "fix" myself now? What is a good workout regime I should change into? Do you still do cardio?
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue to work out 6 days a week, may I suggest you do three days of weight training, two days of good ol classic fun time cardio, and 1 day of say stretching or yoga something light....

Up your cals by 200 - 300 and I would say you are good to go...

I do agree with what your trainer said ... You are taxing your system .. Some of the best results come after good rest...

Continue to eat right .. Take a week off of working out, figure out a new work out plan and then start it up...
  • kfue
    kfue Posts: 17
    Options
    bump-
    I'm having the same issue.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Even God rested on the 7th day. Take a rest day every week, and make sure you are getting enough sleep on a daily basis. You have to get all three ingredients right to make physical changes: Nutrition, exercise and rest. None of those are optional, you have to have all three.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Judging from your profile pics, you look very fit. You may be very near your optimum weight. What is your body fat %? If you are between 14-20%, you're exactly where you need to be and it will be very difficult to lose any more.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. ;)

I'd suggest something like strong lifts 5x5, new rules of lifting for women, rippetoe's starting strength, etc. anything that focuses on HEAVY lifting 3 times a week using compound movements that generally take 30-45 minutes. Whatever plan works best for you!
  • Ver2
    Options
    I have 24.5% body fat currently :( I'd like to be at least down to 20%.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on your stats you should be eating around 1800 calories total. You should eat this daily and not eat back exercise calories. Also, limit cardio and lift weights more. WT will help you cut fat and its a lot more effective than cardio.
  • Ver2
    Options
    Should I eat 1600-1800 and still do 4x 1 hour of cardio and 2x 45 mins of weight training or change up the routine?
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. I'm in the same boat and am so frustrated! I've only lost 2 pounds in the past two months.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Try a little less calories, and a whole lot more veggies, beans, and fruit. That's my 2 cents.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Should I eat 1600-1800 and still do 4x 1 hour of cardio and 2x 45 mins of weight training or change up the routine?
    Cut cardio to 2 days, do 3 days of weight training and a day of yoga. And aim for 1800, not 1600
  • Ver2
    Options
    Should I just jump to eating 1800 or ease into it? And what's a good yoga program? This sounds like an interesting plan
  • Ver2
    Options
    I may rest for a week and just eat ~1600 before restarting. Good idea?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I may rest for a week and just eat ~1600 before restarting. Good idea?

Yea that works. Also, you can go on demand and find one or even go to a target or sporting goods.store.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Read my thread I posted this morning about research of women over-training while on a restrictive calorie intake. I include the formula to determine the threshold at which you are consuming too little for x number of consecutive days.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/716135-excessive-exercise-and-threshold-of-energy-availability