thoughts on dairy

Options
Anybody have information/ input on dairy regarding weight loss?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anybody have information/ input on dairy regarding weight loss?
    Adequate dietary calcium can be helpful to weight loss and occasionally someone produces a study showing that the calcium in dairy is more effective than calcium supplements. If you plug "role of calcium in weight loss" into Google all will be revealed.

Or did you mean diary ? LOL
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I know the studies on calcium and weight loss, however, I am lactose intolerant and could easily just take a calcium supplement. I find it unusual that we are only species that drinks another species breast milk. Not sure we are meant to do that. Lots of other ways to get calcium and protein.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I know the studies on calcium and weight loss, however, I am lactose intolerant and could easily just take a calcium supplement. I find it unusual that we are only species that drinks another species breast milk. Not sure we are meant to do that. Lots of other ways to get calcium and protein.

If you are lactose intolerant, then why are you asking about dairy and weight loss? Im confused.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

We are also the only species that harvests and transplants organs. The only species to invent the combustion engine, the MRI, and thousands other things. The only species to construct buildings and monuments to last many years. Should we quit doing those things too?
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Eat leafy greens for calcium. Dairy is completely unnecessary, and most of the world does not consume it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    *grabs the popcorn and takes a front row seat*

My opinion on dairy in regards to weight loss is that I eat/drink plenty of it and it hasn't interfered one bit with losing weight. YMMV (and undoubtedly will) if you're lactose intolerant - but isn't that kinda common sense?
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I personally love it. I love the way milk and good cheeses taste. One time, years ago, I stuck with a 1000 calorie diet and focused on getting 100+% RDA for calcium from dairy products and lost 40 lbs in about 7 weeks.

Now, I'm older and smarter and knwo that 1000 calories / day isn't a good idea or sustainable, so I have a much more reasonable calorie goal, but still eat about 5-7 servings of dairy products a day. It's a decent source of protein and delicious and keeps me satisfied.

As for humans being the only animals who drink another's milk, I don't thin that's true. My cat will go crazy for cow's milk and has even tried to get milk from my dog-he doesn't like that much! Both my cat and dog were known to lap up the odd breast milk spill when I was breastfeeding DD. I think we're the only ones who have the milk of other animals readily available, it doesn't mean we're the only ones who drink others' milks.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dairy. There are other sources of calcium. Any of the studies done on dairy and weight loss were funded by the dairy industry so I'd expect them to be a little suspect.

Anyway, if you want to eat dairy, go ahead. I don't think it'd hinder or hurt your weight loss, I just have no interest in consuming it.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Cheese is delicious. That's my thought on dairy.