Thinking about Tofu???

Options
AnnaMGP
AnnaMGP Posts: 60 Member
Hey everyone. I have never tried tofu and was considering trying it but I have absolutely no idea about the differnt textures(?). Can some of yall use use it let me know someway that a beginner might try out?

Replies

• lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    Look up baked tofu recipes. The easiest is to get extra firm tofu and put a sauce on it, like BBQ or Frank's red hot and then bake it. It's really easy. I don't remember cooking time or temperature, just search for baked tofu though.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    if you want less processed stuff, look into miso and tempeh instead.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I buy the extra firm tofu, cut it into small chunks, fry the heck out of it and put it into a stir fry or into a curry with lots of veggies. I'll also add the fried pieces to nori (seaweed) some rice, some avocado, and make a little sushi-like roll, without the fish. The nice thing about tofu is that it picks up whatever seasoning you put on it. You can also cube, marinate, then fry/sautee.

I've heard of people making cheesecake with the silken tofu.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I buy the extra firm tofu and press it (put paper towels around it in a dish and put something really heavy on top for a couple of hours) to get the liquid out. Slice it up and fry it in a little bit of oil. It's great in stir fry.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i loooooooooooooooove tofu. i eat it plain, raw from the box. maybe a little salt. i know zero people who agree with me. i like the taste of soybeans. it tastes like soybeans.

lets see...heres some easy ways to use tofu for beginners:

-get silken tofu, add lemon juice, salt, herbs and use it in place of sour cream.

-blend it all up with lots of flavors herbs etc and use it as salad dressing

-blend it with melted chocolate, vanilla, and agave and make pudding

EXTRA FIRM:

-slather it with bbq sauce, line a baking pan with parchment and bake the crap out of it, baste it with bbq then use the little squares in a bbq tofu sandwich or over rice

-crumble it and sautee it with veggies, add tumeric and nutritional yeast and make a "tofu scramble"

-make a filling for stuffed peppers or anything really: add lemon juice, nutritional yeast, fresh parsley and dill, green onion, garlic, olive oil, sundried tomatoes, even artichoke hearts...then wrapped it in a phyllo and have vegan "spanakopita"

TOFU=LOVE
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    most people who reply will tell you to stay away and to eat real meat. let's see. they have various reasons (some point to studies suggesting health risks from increased soy protein intake, others the fact that it isn't the best source of protein per calorie). You can research this stuff pretty readily via google. My take is that its a pretty natural food (not a powdered supplement for example) and you should eat as much as you like, but within the context of a balanced diet. also, that's if you like it.

I actually like it sometimes, and the rule of thumb is the softer the meal (softest being soup), the softer the texture you use. for regular cooking most people will use extra firm, and on top of that, wrap in paper towels or the like and weight it down w/ a brick or pan full of water for a few hours or even in the fridge over night (some people freeze it also) - the purpose being to drain water and/or give it a "meatier" texture. Many then marinade it for a few hours or more in some sort of flavorful liquid, then use it like you would a vegetable or meat...steam it, fry it, grill it whatever. It can be an acquired taste and despite herculean efforts always ends of bland for me if I do it myself (unless I deep fry it, but that's not exactly healthy). good luck!!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Look up baked tofu recipes. The easiest is to get extra firm tofu and put a sauce on it, like BBQ or Frank's red hot and then bake it. It's really easy. I don't remember cooking time or temperature, just search for baked tofu though.

BBQ BAKED TOFU MMMMMM
  • bandmom26
    Options
    In the past I have cubed firm tofu and roasted with veggies in the oven.
    I have also made "crabcakes" using soft or firm tofu broken up and used in place of crab meat. Toss with Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, celery, onion, egg and breadcrumbs. Form into cakes and saute til brown and warmed through.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi
    There are tofu options that are already seasoned and are in a nice serving size 'square'. Those are good/tasty. And don't even require heating. You can just chop them up and put in your salad, etc. So good! However, for that convenience, you are paying the price of high sodium! So I have had to learn to stay away and get the kind that are sitting in the tub of water and.. gasp.. I have to cook it myself! :smile: And that is probably the kind you are referring to.
    It seems everyone likes firm tofu. So you should get the firmest kind you can find. I believe its "extra super firm".
    So you drain it, chop it up, and cook it! I usually put mine in a skillet and season it with lime, garlic, pepper, onions. (I season it and use it in meals very similar to how I would've used chicken for back in the 'meat eating' days)
    The portion that you do not use, you should put in a tupperware container filled with water (and that water should be changed daily, until you cook the rest of it)

I hope you like it. Anyone that I've had try it, and is 'nervous' about it, have always enjoyed the taste of it.
  • hollyNhollywood
    Options
    I buy the extra firm tofu and press it (put paper towels around it in a dish and put something really heavy on top for a couple of hours) to get the liquid out. Slice it up and fry it in a little bit of oil. It's great in stir fry.

Yes! I do this too... at least when I think ahead and take it out of the water in enough time. I do feel this helps make it firmer!
  • fortyonetogo
    Options
    Soft tofu is best for things like salads I think. Extra firm is best for frying and sauteeing. For best results, place it in a colander (if you don't have a tofu press) then place a bowl, etc. over the whole piece and add something on top of it like a 16-24 oz can of veggies/beans to weigh it down. Let it sit for about an hour so that the water will be pressed out. If you don't do this your tofu may end up mushy.

After the water is pressed out you can marinade it for a few minutes in some kind of sauce you may like. Then just fry with a TINY bit of oil in a pan or bake.
  • fortyonetogo
    Options
    Soft tofu is best for things like salads I think. Extra firm is best for frying and sauteeing. For best results, place it in a colander (if you don't have a tofu press) then place a bowl, etc. over the whole piece and add something on top of it like a 16-24 oz can of veggies/beans to weigh it down. Let it sit for about an hour so that the water will be pressed out. If you don't do this your tofu may end up mushy.

After the water is pressed out you can marinade it for a few minutes in some kind of sauce you may like. Then just fry with a TINY bit of oil in a pan or bake.

I forgot to say that after you press it you can go ahead and cut it into 1 - 2 inch squares before marinading.
  • fortyonetogo
    Options
    well, if I had looked I would've saw that Hollyn already posted almost the same thing. oops
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you can find it in an international market, look for authentic asian tofu. You can find it already prepared somewhat, sometimes plain, sometimes already seasoned.

I don't like tofu very much, but I do like adding silken tofu to smoothies or making pies and pastries with it. You can also use it to make yogurt.

My best advice would be to always freeze your firm tofu. It gives it a meatier texture and isn't so spongy. Try it baked with root vegetables and maple syrup, scrambled up with onions and peppers (don't freeze beforehand), or pan-fried with lots of your favorite vegetables and maybe a nice marinade or sauce.
  • hollyNhollywood
    Options
    well, if I had looked I would've saw that Hollyn already posted almost the same thing. oops

No, I had no idea tofu presses existed :happy:
    So I just learned something too! Yah, I primarily have always gone for the pre-seasoned/cooked kinds (Trader Joes has the best!). I've only recently gone for the kind sitting in the water (for sodium reasons). And I just took it upon myself to have it sit out on a paper towel and 'dry out' a little.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

^ This

or even better....
    Freeze tofu before cooking it. It gets the excess moisture which changes the texture & makes it absorb flavours better.
    Here is how:
    http://theflyingvegan.blogspot.ca/2006/10/freezing-tofu.html
  • AnnaMGP
    AnnaMGP Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone. Lots of ideas to try. I'll admit I'm definately a meat eater but thought this maybe a way to cut down on fat intake,
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas.

I had Tofu skewers with peanut sauce the other day - anyone got a recipe idea on this theme?
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Firm/ exxtra firm tofu is easy to work with. bake it or fry it, eat it with rice, teriyaki sauce, chow mein- the possibilitys are endless. its awesome!