Horribly rough and dry feet :(

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
So I've tried using a pumice stone, scrubs, brushes and lotions.

No go. My heels especially are so cracked and dry and rough/hard.

I'm a type I diabetic so taking care of my feet is very important.

Anyone have anything you've tried that works well? Not only is it painful but it looks awful so I rarely wear flip flops or sandles. :(

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    have you tried letting your feet soak in hot/warm water before you scrub with the brushes/pumice stones? I find that this works better. Also clean skin that has been soaked in hot water takes to lotions better because your pores are wide open to accept it.

Hope this helps!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    A decent pedicure for starters, if that's in your budget. Maybe a paraffin dip? If that's out of the question, Bath and Body Works has a line of products with "Shea" in the name. They make a decent one for heels / dry feet. I forget what it's called. I think it's got mint in it too. Put it on your feet, then put two pair of socks on to make it warm enough for the lotion to be absorbed.
  • laurenmdaley
    laurenmdaley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bath and Body also has a cracked heel lotion that works great. Doesn't smell great, but will get your feet in shape pretty quickly (continue to scrub as well)
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Put Bag Balm or petroleum jelly on your feet then put socks on before bed so it can work on your feet for hours while you sleep. I think doing this with a thick extra moisturizing lotion could help too.
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I battle mine all of the time too! I use a ped-egg once a week to get the worst of the hard bits off. Use a pumice every other morning in the shower after they've had a bit to soften up in there. Then I use a goat's milk lotion stick during the day at work on my heels. I get a good pedi once a month. Once every couple of months, I'll use something like Lotrimin lotion on my feet for a week (usually at night before bed so I can put socks on). I read where the hard skin can be caused by Athlete's foot. So, I do that as precautionary. It helps.

Oh the parfin that someone mentioned works well too. Not a long time cure but surely makes them feel better for a few days.

Best of luck!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    The have those foot sockies you can wear over night with lotion on your feet.

definitely need to let them soak awhile before attacking them with pumice stone. Not wearing sandals as much will also help.
  • kekagel
    kekagel Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This stuff works great http://www.eucerinus.com/products/aquaphor/aquaphor-healing-ointment.html. Put it on liberally and wrap your feet in saran wrap, this prevents the ointment from getting absorbed by your socks.

My feet were incredibly bad, but this has definitely helped. Try it for a week straight and you'll see great results. Then continue as needed.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Running and working out can beat the hell out of my feet. I haven't found anything that beats Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Cream Deep Moisture. It's a lotion but will take some time to rub in. Rub it into your feet and put on some socks when you go to bed so it stays on all night. I use it on my hands too, and it's incredible (and cheap, something like $3!)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I would say, go for a pedicure for sure, to start yourself off. You need to exfoliate a couple of times per week before you put cream on (otherwise the cream is just sitting on the dead skin, not really absorbing), and you need to put the cream on EVERY DAY. As someone suggested, sleep with socks or wear socks for an hour a night (with the cream on your feet) if you can't sleep with socks on.