Sorry I just need to RANT!

Options
So I get up and I'm super excited to get down to business on day 2 month 2 of insanity since I had to restart due to time issues. I put on my super colourful workout gear (lemon lime anyone?) and head down to the basement to kick some a**. I fly into the rec room and BAM! My sister has decided that she's going to forgo her perfectly fine bedroom with a door I can close so as not to wake her and sleep on the couch!! It's infuriating! It's like no one in my house wants me to work out! I get yelled at when I work out in the evenings and now I don't even have the freedom to work out in the mornings! At this point my only hopes of losing weight is to just stop eating. Which isn't going to happen because I'm not stupid. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I just really needed to vent before it built up and exploded.
Annnyyywwwaaayyy thanks for letting me rant and have a great day!

Replies

• newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    just start exercising anyway. it's her fault for sleeping down there. ;)
  • nefbaker
    nefbaker Posts: 79
    Options
    Wake her up and make her work out with you. It's what I did with my best friend and now she's lost 10 lbs ....
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options

^ This.
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options

What they said!
  • WendelinTheWeird
    WendelinTheWeird Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'd workout anyway. It's her own fault for not being in her room. If she wakes up cranky, she can just get off the couch, walk to her room, and shut the door.
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that and yay for the lemon lime workout gear. I agree with the other poster - just start exercising. Your sis has a room, so she can go back there. Just stand your ground and do it - even if she gets mad. Hopefully she'll get the point and go back upstairs. These things should not sabotage your workout plans - oh, you might have been kidding but please don't stop eating. You'll need that fuel for those kick**s workouts! Let us know how it goes!
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I feel ya
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    TL; DR.
    Next.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Turn that **** up. She will move.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's your choice if you want to exercise or not. I would do it even if she is sleeping right there
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Tough cookie for the sister! As you said, she has A ROOM WITH A DOOR. Go for it and feel the burn!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    At some point today, after you have adjusted your attitude (since you don't live in a place by yourself), ask her nicely if you can reserve that early morning time to workout in that area.
    It would be a very sad atmosphere for everyone in the house to have a "get outa my way" attitude, instead of loving and supporting one another.
    Maybe she was having trouble sleeping, maybe she is feeling sad, maybe she has been too hot, or uncomfortable.
    Consider her!
    Just keep in mind, that no matter what her reaction is (even if negative) that there IS a way to acheive your goals.
    And you will be much more likely to gain her support if you maintain kindness, gentleness and respect.
    Be prepared to ask nicely from the heart, be prepared to respond well no matter her reaction.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If it's morning, maybe go for a run outside? That way you can get out of the house...
  • Living_Barefoot
    Living_Barefoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Aaaannnndd this is why I love MFP! :) I decided to go for a run outside, which is actually quite huge for me because I really don't like people staring at me when I work out :P I think I'm going to start incorporating a morning run into my routine because even just that 10 min run and I feel awesome :)
    Thanks for letting me rant and all your input!! Keep on rocking it! :D
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    wake her up an tell her yo go to bed
  • Peggb
    Peggb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Put yourself first - just work out - she can move to her room if it bothers her!
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have to say I know just how you feel! We have a treadmill that we keep upstairs in my husband's "man cave" that we both use. I tend to use it first thing in the morning while he uses it when he gets off work. It INFURIATES me when my husband decides to fall asleep upstairs in the man cave (instead of coming to bed) when he knows I want to use the treadmill early in the morning. So I will politely go upstairs, turn the TV on to the Throwback Jamz channel, turn on the treadmill, look at him innocently and ask, "You don't mind if I work out do you?" Then proceed to get my workout on.

He usually sulks away to our bedroom, which is where he should have been in the first place!

Anyway, you have to find a way to work this out so everyone is happy and you can still be healthy. You can try talking to her nicely and telling her you need the space and what time you will need it. However, if she says no and she does have her own bedroom AND where you want to workout is public space then she obviously either wants to watch you work out or work out with you. I have decided never to sacrifice my workouts. This is the longest I have EVER worked out consistently (since January) and I finally feel myself getting in shape. I'm not stopping. In any event, I hope it works out (no pun intended) for you. :-)
  • bubbaflip
    Options

if she or nobody else likes it because you wanna exercise and feel better about yourself, too bad. it's your house just as good as it is hers, and if she can't handle that, pack her stuff and move it upstairs or out the door. it's not right for her to be treated like Cinderella and you a wicked stepsister.
  • LauraSS
    LauraSS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bravo for you. Never, ever let other people's needs be your excuse to take care of yourself.

I agree with talking to her and the whole house in a very calm manner to work with you for when it is okay for you to work towards a better health. Let them know up front how important this is to you.

Also, did you know that if you walk 4.5 miles a day, you will have reached 10,000 steps and you will lose weight and body fat. Strap on the tunes and start walking to some of your upbeat tunes that motivate you to want to walk to the beat when the weather is good.

Good luck!
  • babersbh
    babersbh Posts: 32
    Options
    The weather is awesome outside....have you thought of taking your routine to the great outdoors, where people aren't sleeping?